× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Must enter username/password to access NAS

chokobanana
Guide

Must enter username/password to access NAS

Hello,

I have 3 PC machines running Windows. With 2 of them I do not need to enter an username/password when accessing the network drive through explorer.

On one of the machines, which is completely reinstalled, I must enter a username and password everytime I want to access the drive through explorer. Why??

There is an option to save the credentials but when logged in as an admin (since I don't have any other users) I also see the volumes. On the other 2 machines do not see the volumes nor have I ever had to log in.

I believe the RN 102 asking for credentials started after a firmware update. (The 2 pc's not asking for credentials have not been reinstalled recently)

Thanks,
Daniel
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
berrieds
Aspirant

There is a tick box in the shares tab on the configure panel, that says 'allow anonymous access' if that is ticked, it should give access to anyone without credentials. I just sorted this out for myself, so perhaps that was the issue for you too.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

You should check in windows credentials manager to see what username and password is registered for the NAS. If necessary, delete whatever is there and enter the credentials you want windows to use.
Message 2 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

Thank you!
But I don't want to use any credentials at all.
I never had to login before. And the ones that don't need username/password access the NAS anonymously.

I've never had to login to my Buffalo NAS.
And now I'm on a completely new install of Windows and it's asking for credentials.
Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

It is still a good idea to check the windows credentials manager, and delete any credentials for the NAS that are saved in there.

By default the windows PC presents the Windows login/password to the NAS as the credentials. If that user doesn't exist on the NAS, then the NAS will apply guest access permissions.

If the user does exist, then access is denied if the password is incorrect. That is often the issue if the PC username is "admin"
Message 4 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

Thanks
I checked the credentials manager and removed everything that was in there but it did not help.
I did however notice that one folder suddenly appeared.

I have 6 folders that I share and access through Windows Explorer. These folders have names such as "Documents", "Photos", "Videos" and so on..
When I click on the NAS in Windows Explorer I can see ONE of the above folders. When I double click it I can see 2 files that are in that folder but I know there are many more in there.

What's annoying is, Windows Explorer no longer asks for credentials to login. So I'm stuck seeing this one directory only. How do I login if Windows Explorer doesn't ask for credentials?
I have logged into the NAS admin and compared the directories and they all look the same. So why won't the other 5 show up? And why can I only see 2 files?

Should I reset the NAS (RN102) and reinstall the OS?? This is getting really tiring. I'm using the latest firmware but I have updated the firmware 3-4 times since I purchased it.
Message 5 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

I just found a solution. I don't understand WHY I have to do this though.

To get it working:
1. Open NAS admin and click "accounts", then "new user"
2. I named my user: "user" and set password: "password". Keep it simple.. the rest I didn't touch
3. Now that we have a user - open Windows Credentials Manager
4. I created an account for both my IP (192.168.1.x) and my NAS (\\NAS)

I then rebooted both the NAS and the PC. Probably not needed but just in case.
This did the trick. But as I said above.. I don't know why I had to do this on this PC. Windows is completely reinstalled so there shouldn't be any old settings lying around.
Message 6 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Were you logging into that PC using "admin" as the user name before you reinstalled Windows? Note my post above.
Message 7 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

No, I don't have any password registered to my windows account - it boots directly into my desktop.
Message 8 of 19
StephenB
Guru

It still has a user logon, it just applies it automatically. Do you know what that is? What version of windows?
Message 9 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

It's Windows 7. I'm not sure what the default user is. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything useful.
Message 10 of 19
StephenB
Guru

enter cmd in the windows bar, which will launch a windows command box. Then enter
whoami
Message 11 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

C:\Users\Daniel>whoami
daniel-dator\daniel

I see, so maybe I was trying to login using this username.

I had a quick look on my wife's PC that is also using Windows 7 and does NOT require her to login. (she can see all folders on the NAS)

There were no records in the windows credential manager, and running whoami returned: "mari-hp\mari" which i find a little strange since I only have one user registered in the NAS right now called "user". (I've never had any users before I registered "user") So, why she is still able to see all folders without getting a login dialogbox is still a mystery.
Message 12 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Yes, the daniel-dator PC will use "daniel" as the user login for the NAS.

So the NAS has two accounts, user and admin.

The PCs are using logons daniel and mari. One has guest access, the other does not.

Start by putting daniel-dator, mari-hp, your third PC and the RN102 into the same workgroup. Also check that the network connection for daniel-dator is classified either public or work.

Then if you are still having issues, either (a) add daniel and mari as users for the NAS. or (b) add the NAS credentials (either admin or user) to the windows credential manager.
Message 13 of 19
chokobanana
Guide

Thank you StephenB!!
Now I'm starting to understand.

I checked the workgroup, it was the same on all computers.

Then I checked the network connection and noticed that my computer (daniel) was set to "home network" while my wife's computer (mari) was set to "public network".

And that makes sense. Her computer was able to see the folders as it had guest access. (And all my shared folders allowed anonymous access) Wow! I would never have imagined that the network connection played a role.

I did try to change the network connection on my wifes computer from public to home but I was still able to access the NAS without having to log in. So I restarted the NAS for it to reset any cached IPs / session cache but nothing changed. I also verified that the credentials manager was empty.

Just for fun, I logged into the NAS admin and opened the settings for one of my shared folders. In there I disabled "anonymous access". I was still able to access the folder from my computer but my wife wasn't!! 🙂 She could see the folder but she couldn't access (browse) it.

I don't understand why she can still access the folders as if she's an anonymous user now that I changed the network from public to home but I'm guessing some settings may be cached or that something else is playing a role. I'm sure that if I did reinstall Windows on her computer it would no longer display the folders as if she is an anonymous user.

This thread should be a sticky 🙂 I'm sure a lot of people may have this problem and not understand why.

Thank you!!
Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Security policies in Windows are loosest for home/work networks, and strictest for public - backwards from your situation.
Message 15 of 19
advocate1
Tutor

I'm having the very same problem, and I think that StephenB has lead me to the answer.

I have a ReadyNAS with a share named "Guest." It is Read/Write with Guest Access Enable.
I have a user on the ReadyNAS named "John" and "John" has a password.

I have a Windows 7 Laptop. My username on that laptop is also John. I don't use a password on the laptop.

Everytime I attempt to access //ReadyNAS/Guest, I am prompted for a username and password. I am surprised, since I assume that Read/Write and Guest Enabled should be able to get into the machine without a password.

Am I correct in assuming that this would work if I was logged into my computer with a different username? In other words, if I was logged into my computer as "JohnM"," I would then be able to get into //ReadyNAS/Guest without being prompted for a username and password??
Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I believe that it would work if you used a different account. If the windows-supplied credentials match a NAS username but the password doesn't match, then the NAS will reject them (even if the share has guest access).

You should also be able to set the credentials in Windows Credentials manager so the password is supplied when accessing the NAS. That won't apply the password for your PC generally, it just supplies the password to the NAS.

Another approach is to change the PC account so that you have a password (which matches the NAS) but also so Windows will log you on automatically without it. http://www.7tutorials.com/log-automatic ... r-password
Message 17 of 19
holsen1
Aspirant

chokobanana wrote:
Hello,

I have 3 PC machines running Windows. With 2 of them I do not need to enter an username/password when accessing the network drive through explorer.

On one of the machines, which is completely reinstalled, I must enter a username and password everytime I want to access the drive through explorer. Why??

There is an option to save the credentials but when logged in as an admin (since I don't have any other users) I also see the volumes. On the other 2 machines do not see the volumes nor have I ever had to log in.

I believe the RN 102 asking for credentials started after a firmware update. (The 2 pc's not asking for credentials have not been reinstalled recently)

Thanks,
Daniel

I finally fixed it. It took a lot of digging to find the right posts but here it is:
http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how ... _4917.html

"With newer OS'es like Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 and OSX Snow Leopard, the "Share" security mode featured on some older ReadyNAS devices like the NV+ is unfortunately no longer supported. The solution to the problems this causes is to migrate the ReadyNAS to "User" security mode. In "User" mode, individual user accounts are created on the NAS for each person that will access it. That user account is then granted appropriate access to shares, rather than the shares themselves being password protected. To migrate to "User" mode, 3 major steps are required:

Change Mode
Create a User for you to access the NAS
Fix permissions so that new user account has full access to the data, as before.

http://readynas.sphardy.com/2010/09/how ... _4917.html
Message 18 of 19
berrieds
Aspirant

There is a tick box in the shares tab on the configure panel, that says 'allow anonymous access' if that is ticked, it should give access to anyone without credentials. I just sorted this out for myself, so perhaps that was the issue for you too.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements