× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDU 2000, is it worth taking out of mothballs?

Geoff2005
Aspirant

RNDU 2000, is it worth taking out of mothballs?

Hi All,

I have a RNDU 2000 that was mothballed when I added a 104 to the home network. I was considering passing the RNDU 2000 on to a friend (diskless) as a startoff NAS but I recall it was limited to 2 x 2TB drives and I don't know what else it may lack compared what is standard in today's NAS.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated, has firmware upgrades allowed it greater drive capacity?

cheers

Geoff

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Geoff2005 wrote:

Hi All,

I have a RNDU 2000 that was mothballed when I added a 104 to the home network. I was considering passing the RNDU 2000 on to a friend (diskless) as a startoff NAS but I recall it was limited to 2 x 2TB drives and I don't know what else it may lack compared what is standard in today's NAS.

An RNDU2000 is an ultra-2 - and it is NOT limited to 2x2TB drives.  It runs 4.2.x firmware.

An RND2000-200NAS is a duo v2, and it also can take drives larger than 2 TB.  It runs 5.x.x firmware.

An RND2000-100NAS is a duo v1, and it is limited to 2x2TB drives - there is no update to fix that.  It runs 4.1.x firmware.

All are still useful as backup NAS (the duo v1 can be set up as jbod, giving 4 TB total space - two 2TB volumes).  And many people are still using them as their primary NAS.

The ultra-2 is about the same speed as the RN100.  You can also upgrade it to use OS-6 if that is desired.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Geoff2005 wrote:

Hi All,

An RNDU2000 is an ultra-2 - and it is NOT limited to 2x2TB drives.  It runs 4.2.x firmware.

An RND2000-200NAS is a duo v2, and it also can take drives larger than 2 TB.  It runs 5.x.x firmware.

An RND2000-100NAS is a duo v1, and it is limited to 2x2TB drives - there is no update to fix that.  It runs 4.1.x firmware.

All are still useful as backup NAS (the duo v1 can be set up as jbod, giving 4 TB total space - two 2TB volumes).  And many people are still using them as their primary NAS.

The ultra-2 is about the same speed as the RN100.  You can also upgrade it to use OS-6 if that is desired.

Message 2 of 4
ilneill
Apprentice

I still use 3x ReadyNAS Duos (all v1's). Cracking little NASes. Yes they are limited to 2GB disks, but I find that is not a problem - makes them very cost effective with affordable spares. They are very reliable file shares and media servers.

Of course, if it turns out that you have something better than a Duo, then it really is a no-brainer. Get that thing going and put it to good use!

Good Luck,

Ian

Message 3 of 4
Geoff2005
Aspirant

OK, thanks for the replies, I'll fire it up.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements