× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 316 won't boot up (stuck on "booting...")

xcom923
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 316 won't boot up (stuck on "booting...")

I litterally just transfered all my data to this thing. I got Plex working and I was all set to go I had to shut it down. to move it to it's final home (where the old nas was) and after turning it back on I'm just getting "booting..." Solid blue hdd lights (originally flashing but I pulled the drives out one by one and reseated them). Raidar says it's "starting up" but it's never taken this long (running on 20min now). Is there anything I can do short of resetting everything and loosing all my data??

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
xcom923
Aspirant

ultimately I decided that I can't be down for as long as I was and reset. I've rebuilt the plex server and now I have a better setup then I had before. As far as archives go I'll try to get what I can but there is a good chance I'll just not try to recover everything.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you recall which firmware is on this unit?

Did you make any changes just before shutting it down?

Have you powered off the system and checked to make sure your disks are still properly seated after you moved the unit?

Message 2 of 9
xcom923
Aspirant

Besides installing Plex, no. I'm running RC2 of the 6.4.1?? firmware. I installed it to correct a lighting issue I was having. and yes I reseated the HDDs. I mentioned that in my first post

wait, I did make one change. I checked the SSH option in a user I created.

Message 3 of 9
xcom923
Aspirant

Update, the NAS emailed me saying the root is 91% filled. I'm thinking uTorrent is not downloading to the share but instead downloading to root. I think I'll have to clear that first. But without it booting I'm not sure how I can SSH in.

Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, uTorrent is downloading to the root partition and that is full.

You also have the problem that a few disks have dropped out of your array and at different times.

This looks like it may be a data recovery situation.

Message 5 of 9
xcom923
Aspirant

What does that mean? Can the files utorrent downloaded be deleted so that the Nas can start? I also what do I have to do to try data recovery?
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The utorrent files can be deleted, but as there are two missing disks from your array that won't solve the problem. Your volume would still be offline. Best if you want support to look at it, to have them look at it how it is now.

You can open a support case and ask support what can be done and they can explain to you know any costs that may be involved. Let me know the case number if you open a support case.

Message 7 of 9
xcom923
Aspirant

I get that part but their FAQ is saying $200 per session to do data recovery. I believe I can rebuild the data. It was media for a Plex server, since my internet connection was recently updated I'm sure I can rebuild the server (although it's going to suck doing so)

Message 8 of 9
xcom923
Aspirant

ultimately I decided that I can't be down for as long as I was and reset. I've rebuilt the plex server and now I have a better setup then I had before. As far as archives go I'll try to get what I can but there is a good chance I'll just not try to recover everything.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements