× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo (v1) leaking current over ethernet cable

JadeMonkee
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo (v1) leaking current over ethernet cable

Hello, 

I have had many good years' use out of my now outdated ReadyNAS Duo.

After recently moving overseas and having the item shipped here with the rest of my stuff, upon first boot (back in September), I was told that my fan had failed. It seemed to be working fine, and after a few reboots, I never received the message again.

The other day, however, I plugged my Macbook into the same gigabit switch as the NAS (using a USB to Ethernet adapter), and the Mac's trackpad stopped working properly. I assumed that it was the adapter malfunctioning, so I purchased a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter. However, upon plugging it in, I got the same problem. I then realised that the problem went away when I unplugged my ReadyNAS Duo.

It seems that the ReadyNAS is sending current down its ethernet cable, and up the cables of all the devices attached to my ethernet switch.

I decided that it must be related to the fan error I received. So I then ordered a replacement fan (thought I'd get a silent one: the Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX).

Upon first attaching the new fan (which really is so much quieter than the stock one) and booting the NAS, the problem with the ethernet and my Mac trackpad went away.

I then went to the status page, and there was a happy green light for the fan, and the page told me that the fan was happy at about 1600 RPM.

I noticed a recalibrate button, and figuring that it would be a good idea to do so, I pressed it.

I heard the fan spin up after a few minutes, and the problem with my Mac trackpad returned. Bummer.

I'm not sure if the calibration has finished or not (fan is still spinning fast (I can hear it), and no completion message has popped up - the logs tell me that it's been half an hour), but it certainly seems that the problem wasn't the fan (perhaps the fan circuitry?).

EDIT: after a few reboots, the fan RPM is low and quiet, but I can confirm that I still have the trackpad issue, although it' s much milder.

As I've just moved country, I don't have a great deal of money, so was really hoping that the fan would fix it. I don't want to have to fork out for a new NAS/server right now. 

Does anyone know how long the fan calibration should last? And will the fan go back to its lower RPM when done? 

Has anyone had a similar problem of receiving current over their ethernet cable, and know of a fix? 

Could it perhaps be a PSU problem? 

If it's not a PSU problem, would any of the components on the board be replaceable? 

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JadeMonkee wrote:

It seems that the ReadyNAS is sending current down its ethernet cable, and up the cables of all the devices attached to my ethernet switch.

I am not following your reasoning.  I understand that when the NAS is connected to the switch that traffic to other clients is disrupted.  

But I don't follow the reasoning jump to "sending current down the cable".  Do you have any measurements to support that leap?

Did you try anything else (like using a different ethernet cable, or plugging the NAS into the router instead of the switch)?

@JadeMonkee wrote:

Hello, 

...but it certainly seems that the problem wasn't the fan (perhaps the fan circuitry?).

I don't think the fan (or its circuitry) is causing this issue. 

Message 2 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

I have no measurement tools, no, so can't definitively say this.

In my initial testing, I tried the Mac on different ports on the switch and with different cables, and it made no difference. 

I haven't yet, however, tried the ReadyNAS on different cables/ports (as I shut the NAS down when I realised that the touchpad problem started as soon as I plugged the NAS into the switch, and stopped as soon as I disconnected it). I shall do so now.

I can't actually connect the NAS directly to the router, as it's in another building - there is a WiFi extender joining the switch to the router (Netgear N300 WiFi Range Extender - Hardware Version: EX2700Firmware Version: V1.0.1.8). 

My logic was thus: capacitive trackpads (as seen on my Mac) work by your fingers connecting tiny circuits spread across their surface. The Mac has an all-conductive aluminium chassis. By adding a current into the shell, it would effect the trackpad's ability to track which touchpad circuits are connected from touch, and which from a rogue current.

When I first came across the touchpad problem, I assumed it was my Mac's fault, and Googled a fix for it. I found people reporting the same problem occuring on their Macs when they were using third-party power adapters. I don't think it's too far a stretch, but I would love to be able to measure it myself to be sure.

I should also stipulate that disconnecting any of the other ethernet cables from the switch (currently 4 on an 8 port switch) didn't fix the problem with my touchpad.

Thanks for your help and your speedy reply - I really appreciate it.

Message 3 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

Ok:

I got a new cable and plugged it into a new port on the NAS. No touchpad problem: all seemed good. I was very happy with this.

Then I decided to plug that new cable into the old port, and the problem came back. 

Ok, so it looks like it was a bad port.

Then I plugged the NAS *back* into the port where it previously didn't casue the touchpad problem - the touchpad problem didn't go away.

So, it's much more complicated than I expect, and I once again believe that the problem most likely lies with the NAS, not the switch or cable.

So, just like when I first installed the new fan and didn't find a problem with the touchpad, it seems that the problem takes a bit of time to manifest after first booting the NAS. 

To test, I shutdown the NAS, unplugged the cable.

Then I re-connected the cable (into the new port, not the original one), and booted the NAS.

This time, it only took about a minute for the touchpad problem to return (while the fan was at a high RPM at boot).

Immediately upon removing the NAS' network cable from the switch, the problem disappeared. 

I just hope that it's not been damaging any of the other equipment attached to my switch.

EDIT: I should also add that network traffic doesn't seem to get disrupted by this problem - at least not obvioulsy, as I'm not measuring it in any way.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JadeMonkee wrote:

Ok:

I just hope that it's not been damaging any of the other equipment attached to my switch.

Again, you are jumping to an electrical root cause.  It could be something else altogether.  A packet storm of some sort (or simply a failed switch).  

What else is connected to the switch?

Also (assuming the electrical theory) - is the NAS using the same power circuit as the PC?  

Message 5 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

I appreciate your thoroughness, thanks. In answer to your questions:

The PC is battery powered. The problem occurs when it is connected via AC (official adapter) or by battery only.

Connected to the switch:

1x Wifi extender

1x Ethernet over Power adapter

1x Arm-based server (CubieTruck)

1x ReadyNAS Duo

1x Macbook Air (via thunderbolt ethernet)

Note that, as these all have Australian plugs and I am now in the UK, all of these (with the exception of the PoE) are connected to one Australian power board, which has an AU > UK adapter attached.

The PoE (which has a UK plug) is running on the power socket next to where the power board plugs in.

I have just powered off and disconnected everything except the Mac and the NAS from the switch, and powered the NAS back up.

The touchpad seems fine so far, but I can't connect to the NAS to run the fan recalibration (which previously made the problem re-appear), as there is no connection between the NAS and the DHCP server/router.

I shall now connect the WiFi extender.

Woah. Immediately upon connecting the WiFi extender's ethernet cable, the problem re-appeared.

I shall now connect the WiFi extender using a different cable.

Notably, after disconneting the WiFi extender, the problem didn't go away.

After disconnecting the NAS (without the WiFi extender connected) it did go away.

After plugging in the WiFi extender (NAS disconnected) the problem doesn't manifest.

Immediately upon reconnecting the NAS, it appears.

While leaving the NAS connected to the switch, I shut the NAS down. Trouble instantly disappears as I hear the NAS click off.

I turn the NAS back on (the WiFi extender is still connected, as is my Mac), the problem doesn't instantly re-appear. But appears as I hear disk 1 spin up, calms for a moment. Then disk 2 spins up. Then acts up. Them calms down again. Then comes back as before.

I disconnect the NAS, and the problem immediately goes away.

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

Oh, one more thing:

The main household recently upgraded their router to a TP-Link Archer D9. 

I'm not a great fan of TP-Link, and these feelings have continued since they installed this router.

It's DNS is terrible: almost nothing on the network can find anything using its host name - I have to use an IP address.

For instance, to SSH into one Raspberry Pi from my Mac, I used to be able to type the command 'ssh pi@max2play' but now I have to type 'ssh pi@192.168.1.139'. Similarly, I used to be able to type in http://max2play/ to my browser to access its web config interface. Now I have to type in its IP address.

Curiously, on my OpenELEC Raspberry Pi, it references the movies stored on the NAS as directories using its host name, rather than its IP address. These largely (though not flawlwessly) still work. Although connecting to http://abernathy/admin doesn't (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED).

Given that you suspect that it could be a packet flood problem, is it at all possible that the NAS is polling the router like crazy to try and establish its own host name? 

Extra curiosity: I just reconnected the NAS to the switch (it's been on but disconnected the last 10 minutes) and the problem with my touchpad didn't appear until I tried logging into Frontview. Then it happened.

EDIT: I bumped the power board's connection to the power socket and I heard my NAS fan spin up, as if it just shutdown for a second. I'm just now going to find a new kettle cable with a UK plug so that I can connect it directly to the wall, rather than to the power board.

Message 7 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

Upon connecting the NAS directly to the wall (rather than through a power board and a AU > UK adapter) the problem hasn't manifested on my Mac.

Now, what's really interesting is that the NAS now reports that my new fan isn't working (I can see it spinning, but it says 'out of spec' on the status page).

So, is it then possible that a surge or spike similar to what just happened and caused my NAS to instantly reboot was the problem the first time I got the fan error?

I have now shutdown my NAS, and am about to boot it back up in the hopes that it doesn't report a fan error.

NAS is now booting: no touchpad problems as hard drives spin up.

Fan is reported as working at 1973 RPM.

Booted the CubieTruck connected to the switch, still no touchpad problems.

This is wonderful news: could this all be because of an AU > UK power adapter, or a dodgy power board?

Perhaps also worth noting: when I plugged in the new UK cable, the power brick on the NAS was rather hot to touch. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Message 8 of 10
JadeMonkee
Aspirant

Ok, just to add some completion to this:

Using the same powerboard, I swapped over to a different AU > UK adapter, and the problem hasn't yet reappeared.

Big thanks, StephenB, for helping me test some of the assumptions I'd made and guiding me to a solution. 

I am so happy that my ReadyNAS Duo is still going strong! 

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad you sorted it out.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements