× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas not showing in Network view Windows 10 Build 10586 but connects ok

oyvindth
Aspirant

Readynas not showing in Network view Windows 10 Build 10586 but connects ok

After I have updated my computers to Windows 10 Build 10586 I am no longer able to see my Readynas in "My Computer/Network/Computers" all other conputers connected to my network shows up fine, They are all running Windows 10. I have one Surace 4 Pro still running Build 10240, and here the Readynas shows up fine, so clearly Microsoft has changed something in the new build. I can connect to and browse both my readynasses by entering the IP adress, or devise name in the navigation bar, programs connects ok to the nas, so SAMBA is working fine, it just dosn't show up as a network computer. Anyone else experiencing this. Readynas OS 6.4.0 Readynad 516 and ULTRA 4+.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try 6.5.0 Beta 2 which implements another discovery method. See this post

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

At least two other posters have seen this.  My two Win10 systems are also running 10586, and I have not seen it with my RN102 and RN202.   I have a mix of win 7, win 10, and one vista system on the network, which might account for it.

powellandy1 made some windows adjustments that resolved it for him - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/File-sharing-WINDOWS-10-ReadyNAS-no-longer-conn...

Message 2 of 13
Homith
Guide

Good Afternoon, I, only today, am experiencing this problem too on all my Windows 10 installations. It came after installing KB3120677 (i think). I have tried to uninstall and still no joy. I am using it with A RN314 with the latest firmware. I have tried the suggestions powellandy1 detailed but that didnt work for me. If anyone has any further suggestions I would love to hear them.

Message 3 of 13
rjwerth
Luminary

Has anyone found a solution to this?  It is still an issue with 6.4.2.

Message 4 of 13
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rjwerth,

I strongly suggest contacting support center about this since you mentioned you still get the same problem on the latest FW so they can investigate on it. 

Regards,

Message 5 of 13
Homith
Guide

I upgraded the ReadyNas last night to 6.4.2 and my ReadyNas has dropped off again within the Windows 10 network. I can map to it etc but it is not visible in the networking link within Win10 file explorer. Looks like SMB is playing up again and SMB plus isn't fixing it this time. Unless the upgrade has broken SMB plus. I have removed and reinstalled SMB Plus and selected ver 1. Nothing seems to work any more. Getting quite fustrating. I might revery the firmware back tonight and see how I go.

Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The update would have no impact on SMB Plus.

This is an issue with Windows which surfaces from time to time and is seen by some users and not others. Until/Unless Microsoft sorts this out users will continue to run into this. This problem is not at our end.

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did quickly_now's post answer your question?

Message 9 of 13
rjwerth
Luminary

Hey everyone. After an update last night, my Windows 10 machines are showing my Readynas once again.
Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try 6.5.0 Beta 2 which implements another discovery method. See this post

Message 11 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Does this new system still rely on a workgroup master browser?  That's where I've had trouble.  My network currently has three devices reporting to be a master browser, and two of them are ReadyNAS's (one running OS6 and one RAIDiator).  But the NAS's do not seem to be equipped to be a master browser.  So if the one computer that should be the master goes offline, network discovery breaks.  If the NAS's weren't claiming to be master, another computer would be "elected" as master, and all would be fine.  But no such election is performed becase a device incapable of being one is claiming that it is.  I've read of folks having a network printer do the same.

Here is a good article on this and a link to a program that will tell you who the master(s) is/are.:http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/.

Unfortunately, fixing the issue of the master browser does not seem to be that simple.  When I finally took down an old XP machine that was the master, I had to force the issue.  I turned everything on the network off, then turned on the computer I wanted to be master (one I normally leave on and has a reserved address in my router),  Then, one at a time, I turned on the other devices and did a "NET VIEW" in a CMD window to see that  the device became visible.  It all worked with that Win7 computer.  I have not tried to get it to work with a Win10 one, as I have heard that that Microsoft changed the discovery protocols supported in Win8 and on.

OS4.x had the ability to designate a NAS as a WINS server, which I think would also help with this, so long as that NAS is always on.  But OS6 appears to have dropped that capability.

Message 12 of 13
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

A Master Browser is relic of NetBIOS Name Service, which is the only discovery mechanism that has been supported up to now.  Windows 7 introduced WSD, which we now support in 6.5.0 Beta 2.  WSD bears very little resemblance to NetBIOS, and functons much more like UPnP.  So, no, there is no master browser for WSD.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements