× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow share performance on my RN 104 since upgrading to 6.4.0

pinky2000
Guide

Severe performance issue on my side as well. My disks transfer rate fell to 18 Mo/s since 6.4.0.

Installing every new beta firmware with no improvement so far...

Message 26 of 61
StormUK
Tutor

Just to add....

We have 4 clients that upgraded their RN104's to 6.4.0 and since then they all now have severe performance issues.  We use the NAS's as store backups from their Windows servers, backups that took previously 2-3 hours now take 5+ days.

I have tried upgrading the NAS's to the different betas and they are now running RC3 but still have exactly the same problem, I've even factory reset 2 of the units which also made no difference.

I've had a case open with Netgear for over a week now and I'm not getting anywhere with them, very disappointed at the moment as this is business critical for my 4 clients.

Message 27 of 61
joel80
Tutor

i just downgraded to 6.2.x...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Downgrade-of-Firmware-possible-ReadyNas-314-6-4...

successfully...but not in-place.

no performance issues till now since downgrade.

Message 28 of 61
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joel80,

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage our users to use the latest Beta Firmware instead of downgrading previous Firmware versions. Instead of fixing the problems encountered, it could make things worse. For the time being, let's wait for the official release of the 6.4.1.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 29 of 61
grahamu59
Tutor

On RC3 I find read performance to be 90 % of what it was on 6.2.x but write is still 50% slower on large files.

Message 30 of 61
joel80
Tutor

Brian, i understand your note. Thank you.

However, the responsive developers at netgear should keep in mind, that some issues are not as easy to handle for the customers as they may imagine.

And they cannot wait until your developers have the needed time to fix these issues.

As customer i expect to get firmware updates which are tested, very well.

Iam working for an it company. Before we release a software update we test it with many, many customers and run many tests.

When there is an issue, we stop the update immediately and help customers to get back to a previous version instantly.

We always implement a "way-back" in case of emergency.

If 6.4.0 was tested in depth as needed, there wouldn't be so many users which have performance problems.

i have no sympathy for this slow release intervall to such big issues.

I am concerned about this and i hope Netgear will improve this process, soon.

Sorry about my honest words. 😉

Message 31 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello all,

FW 6.4.1 official release is now available.

Please see and read article ReadyNAS OS 6.4.1: FAQ on Maintenance Firmware Release first.

Regards,

Message 32 of 61
StormUK
Tutor

I'm afraid this update has not resolved my problem.

Message 33 of 61
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StormUK,

It's much better to get back to our support team and provide this information. Perhaps they could escalate your case to the Next Tier of support.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 34 of 61
StormUK
Tutor

The support team are not being very supportive about this issue!
Message 35 of 61
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StormUK,

Could you PM me the case number?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 36 of 61
RobTWo
Guide

You're all complaining about the performance of 6.4.0. Well, 6.4.1 is even worse! Opening a small Excell file takes me about 12 minutes. I'm afraid to save the file to the NAS. It's better to save files locally, put them in the cloud using something like dropbox and putting them back on my NAS when Netgear has come up with working firmware or I have bought another, for instance one made by Synology.

Message 37 of 61
RobTWo
Guide

I contacted support after 6 days of trouble. It took about an hour and in the end there wasn't any improvement. It could be, so they suggested, that the new firmware had some trouble resyncing and loading, it just needed a lot of time and I should give it some more time.

Then I just got this brilliant idea. Why not try to reinstall firmware 6.4.1 again, manually, over the installed 6.4.1. So I did and left it overnight. This morning my ReadyNAS performed like there was never any issue!

So to others having trouble: download the firmware found in Support / Downloads and just reinstall it manually. It might help you as it did for me.

Message 38 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RobTwo,

Thank you for sharing.

We appreciate your contribution to the community. Engineering is already aware of the slow performance problem with the 6.4.1 version and they are already working on it.

Regards,

Message 39 of 61
BHGreene
Aspirant

I was experiencing the slow performance on a client 312, but when I disabled the built-in Anti-Virus scanning, the issue went away.  All of the attached machines already have managed anti-virus on them, so I am comfortable turning it off.

Message 40 of 61
StormUK
Tutor

We eventually resolved the problem we had on our two NAS's by downgrading to 6.2.5, this has to be done by booting from a USB stick and then Factory Resetting the units.

Just really annoyed that Netgear didnt suggest this a month ago as this problem they created with 6.4.0 has cost me days in time.

Message 41 of 61
RobTWo
Guide

So I wrote on December 9 that it was working again. But after a week or so trouble came back. Since then I have been waiting for better firmware and using my NAS thru the web interface. Unfortunately that meant donloading files, storing them locally and uploading them again. I was (am) very disappointed in Netgear's products.

Today, out of the bue, I could use my ReadyNAS again like before. That means: like a local disk, The day before yesterday I couldn't use it because of its slow performance. I don't know why a month of waiting has solved the problem and I don't know if it will continue to work like it does now.

I just had to share this experience.

Message 42 of 61
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RobTWo,

If your system is running 6.4.1, I suggest that you disable the AV feature and see if the file access will become more stable and faster. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 43 of 61
RobTWo
Guide

Hi Brian,

AV was already disabled since I upgraded to 6.4.1, I didn't change that. Although I noticed, when looking at it, that I couldn't turn AV on.

Message 44 of 61
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RobTWo,

It would be better if you will make a follow-up and report the other problem that you found.  Could you send me a PM together with the ticket #?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 45 of 61
RobTWo
Guide

Hi Brian,

I think I found the problem where I couldn't turn on or off Anti Virus. I think it has something to do with the browser's cache. When I restarted the browser I could turn it on. Before being able to turn it off again I had to restart the browser again.

Thanks anyway.

Message 46 of 61
GWC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am having the same problem with my ReadyNAS 104 since updating to 6.4.2 and accessing with PC on Windows 7.  Can you sugest how I can check my speed?  From what I can gather turning AV off helps.

cheers

Grant

Message 47 of 61
StephenB
Guru

@GWC wrote:

Hi

I am having the same problem with my ReadyNAS 104 since updating to 6.4.2 and accessing with PC on Windows 7.  Can you sugest how I can check my speed?  From what I can gather turning AV off helps.

cheers

Grant

Disable the AV service until Netgear provides the fix (which is being tested now). You can measure SMB speeds with NAStester. http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance
Message 48 of 61
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello GWC,

A fix for the performance when AV is on is being developed, hopefully to be released next month. For the meantime, like StephenB suggested, turn it off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Message 49 of 61
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Just adding my observations....

I'm on 6.4.2 on my RN312, and tried measuring transfer throughput with AV on, and off, and got the results below using the NAS Tester StephenB kindly linked in a previous post:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester

With AV On:

Running warmup...

Running a 400MB file write on Z: 5 times...

Iteration 1:    117.43 MB/sec

Iteration 2:    117.43 MB/sec

Iteration 3:    117.97 MB/sec

Iteration 4:    117.43 MB/sec

Iteration 5:    117.97 MB/sec

-----------------------------

Average (W):    117.65 MB/sec

Running a 400MB file read on Z: 5 times...

Iteration 1:     95.52 MB/sec

Iteration 2:     94.81 MB/sec

Iteration 3:     93.77 MB/sec

Iteration 4:     97.71 MB/sec

Iteration 5:     93.77 MB/sec

Average (R):     95.12 MB/sec

With AV Off:

Running warmup...

Running a 400MB file write on Z: 5 times...

Iteration 1:    117.97 MB/sec

Iteration 2:    118.52 MB/sec

Iteration 3:    117.97 MB/sec

Iteration 4:    117.43 MB/sec

Iteration 5:    116.36 MB/sec

Average (W):    117.65 MB/sec

Running a 400MB file read on Z: 5 times...

Iteration 1:     92.42 MB/sec

Iteration 2:     94.46 MB/sec

Iteration 3:     96.24 MB/sec

Iteration 4:     95.46 MB/sec

Iteration 5:     95.17 MB/sec

Average (R):     94.75 MB/sec

This is over a GB network, with teamed network ports on the RN, through a 'dumb' GS308 switch, and using a Win10 PC, with an SSD OS disk.  The AV 'issue' doesn't seem to be an issue for me, although I fully appreciate others are having a tough time with it.  Obviously YMMV.

Model: RN31222D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements