× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stopping Accidental Factory Reset ReadyNAS 2100

Katharsys
Aspirant

Stopping Accidental Factory Reset ReadyNAS 2100

Needing help with this - with the usual multiple windows open, I accidentally started a Factory reset on the wrong NAS through RAIDar. I realized my error within 3-5 minutes and went to pull the plug.

Reading through the one other support question on here about something similar, I saw there is a 10-minute window, but all the documentation I have read (e.g. kb, FAQ) refers only to that buffer if you are doing it through the boot menu. My question is since I performed this through RAIDar, can I safely power my NAS back up, or should I bring it up in some other mode?

Please help Obi Wan (or anyone else), as you're my only hope!

Message 1 of 3
Katharsys
Aspirant

While the phone call to tech support said everything was hopeless, things turned out alright. Here are the steps I took, and maybe some of them were unnecessary:

1. Removed the hard drives from the NAS1 that had the factory reset command and moved them to a different NAS rack (NAS2).
  2. Powered up the second NAS and checked file integrity.
  3. MADE BACKUPS OF IMPORTANT FILES ON THE SYSTEM.
  4. Installed the hard drives that were originally in NAS2, and put them in NAS1.
  5. Ensured that the system restore was properly cancelled (it was.)
  6. Powered NAS1 down, took out NAS2 drives and reinstalled original.
  7. System was back up and operating.

So it seems if you scream explicitives extremely loudly, while running to the server closet, and kill the power in time, all is not hopeless. I still don't know if the full 10-minute countdown is in effect when going through the network admin panel, but killing the power within 3-5 minutes is enough to stop the Factory Reset.

The issue I am running into now is that NAS1 is reporting drives 2, 3, and 4 as dead - though they were working just fine in NAS2. Is there something I can do to force it to see the other three drives?

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

On legacy firmware if you do a factory default you will get the 10 minute window regardless of which method you use.

If you have a backup of all your data now you could do a factory reset. If not then you would need to consider whether it is worth purchasing a data recovery attempt.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements