× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "There is no media available for playback" error when I access new folders on my RN104

montybiggleswor
Aspirant

"There is no media available for playback" error when I access new folders on my RN104 using my WDTV

History: I bought a WDTV about a year back so I could copy all my DVDs onto my RN104 and then put the DVDs in the loft.

Last time I gott it working (after many hours!) but the movie playback was very jumpy, in the end I just got so stressed I decided to leave it.

I tried again a few days back and somehow they are streaming smoothly - no idea why, maybe theres been a firmware update since then or my WDTV was cataloging the folders but they worked as I wanted then to.

Anyway, I got rather excited and started to copy my DVDs to my RN104 using MakeMKV again.

I managed to copy a few over one evening, I checked I could play them via WDTV and everything seemed fine.

The next day I used the same machine to copy more DVD's to my RN104, now when I try to play these movies I get "There is no media available for playback".

I will put my hands up and admit I did poke about some of the menus in the RN104 but I don't think I changed anything.

I have found a few sites suggesting fixes but these all seem to deal with people storing the movies on a PC not a NAS or they talk about menus my WDTV doesn't appear to have anymore - something about re-scanning the drive sounded promising but I can't find it in my menus.

I did some investigations with my setup and found it's got something to do with the folders and not the files.

If I copy a movie from one of my new folders that showed the error to an older folder that I can access I am able to play it.

I thought of deleting the folders I couldn't access and just making new ones but any new folders I create I am unable to access.

I am guessing it has something to do with the permissions on the folders, I have played about with the settings but I am really not that good with this stuff and I am worried I'll just make things worse!

Any help is appreciated!

Additional:

I just found if I copy a folder that I can access and rename it the WDTV is happy accessing it.

So it's just new folders I create.

I could technically just copy a folder that works and use that as a template but if there's a fix I'd rather do that!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
montybiggleswor
Aspirant

Re: "There is no media available for playback" error when I access new folders on my RN104

Not to worry, I worked out what the probelem was:

I had checked "Specify Permission when a new file/folder is created. Otherwise inherit permission from parent" in "Default" of the "File Access" settings on the NAS.

I unchecked that box and everything started to work again.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try going into the share settings, choosing the file access tab, and then "reset"?

Also, on the WDTV - are you accessing the content as a "media server" or as a "network share"?

Message 2 of 5
montybiggleswor
Aspirant

Hi,

I tried the reset function before but that made no difference - the NAS actually reccomended it as a possible fix for problems accessing folders, I was very hopeful!

I am not sure how the WDTV is configured, where abouts do I find that out on the WDTV?

In "Network share server settigs" Windows Share Server is set to ON if that helps?

Thanks for your help, I am sure it's something very simple but I just cant find it!

I tried to compare all the security features on the folders on my laptop but they all appear to match.

I just found the "Select Content Source" Which has "Media Server" and "Network Share" listed as options, problem is that it doesn't tell me what it's currently set to!

If one is preferred then I don't mind switching it, all I want to do on the WDTV is access DVDs from the NAS so I don't mind changing anything about. I have an Amazon Fire box for Netflix, Prime and everything else.

Message 3 of 5
montybiggleswor
Aspirant

Not to worry, I worked out what the probelem was:

I had checked "Specify Permission when a new file/folder is created. Otherwise inherit permission from parent" in "Default" of the "File Access" settings on the NAS.

I unchecked that box and everything started to work again.

Message 4 of 5
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi montybiggleswor,

Thanks for updating the thread and letting us know that you've taken care of the issue that you've reported. You may now tag this thread as resolved by clicking the accept as solution button in one of the responses that you received.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements