Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi satellites won't connecting to each other - ORBI RBR760

TomWarner97
Aspirant

orbi satellites won't connecting to each other - ORBI RBR760

Hi all,

I can't figure out to get my satellites to connect to each other. 

My router is downstairs.

1 satellite is on the first floor and 1 on the second floor.

The orbi on the second floor won't connect to my satellite, but it connects directly to the router.

How can I fix this?

Because I'm losing a lot of speed through this.

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi satellites won't connecting to each other - ORBI RBR760

How does the Orbi web interface Attached Devices display report the status of the two satellites?

(5G or 2.4G? "Good", "Fair", "Poor"?)

Sometimes moving the satellites around a bit improves the signal strength and changes how they connect.

Houses have so many things "hidden" inside the walls and ceilings that may interfere with the radio signals.

I would recommend powering off both satellites, then powering up the first and let it settle down before powering up the second.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

It might be faster directly connected to the router then hopping through the satellite. 

Just because its closer to the satellite doesn't mean it has a better connection or faster speeds. 

The orbi's have some sort of internal test (that I have no idea how they determine) whether it connects to the router or satellites and isn't user changeable. The older generation devices you could disable daisy chain but you could never force it. 

Message 3 of 9
TomWarner97
Aspirant

They both give 2.4ghz with a green connection. But the problem is that my orbi doesnt connect to the other one. So now i only got 40mbs top

Message 4 of 9
TomWarner97
Aspirant

I lose speed when i direct connect to the router. I want 5ghz but it keeps on 2.4ghz. Even if I turned it off.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@TomWarner97 wrote:

They both give 2.4ghz with a green connection. But the problem is that my orbi doesnt connect to the other one. So now i only got 40mbs top

Thank you for checking.  Is this on the web interface Attached Devices or on the Orbi 'app'?

This is what my Attached Devices Connection Status looks like:

CrimpOn_0-1715625247365.png

If the satellites are connected at 2.4G, that is the problem. (not which unit they have connected to).

Building materials appear to be interfering with the WiFi link between orbi units.  Either they are too far apart, or the material between them is too dense for WiFi to penetrate.

Message 7 of 9
TomWarner97
Aspirant

So the connection changing from red to green through the day. Also the connection type from 5ghz to 2.4ghz

Both still connect to the same router and not router -> sat -> sat

Orbi.png

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7