× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6230 Intermittent / Failing Internet Connection

sb801
Aspirant

R6230 Intermittent / Failing Internet Connection

I have a Netgear ac1200 model R6230 router and, starting last night, I was not able to successfully gain a consistent internet connection through the router.  I had no prior issues since upgrading the firmware a year ago (Version 1.1.0.114). 

When I power cycle the router/modem, I can get an internet connection however it eventually fails, usually after about a minute.

The router is connected to a cable modem -- Spectrum internet service.  I am able to connect to the internet with a device directly wire connected to the cable modem.  This connection is strong and stable.  When I route through the router, either wirelessly or via ethernet, it fails.
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R6230 Intermittent / Failing Internet Connection

what modem is it? 

have you tried a factory reset and reinstall? 

Message 2 of 7
sb801
Aspirant

The modem is DOCSIS 3.1 model EN2251.  

I have not tried a factory reset / reinstall.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

try the reset. Maybe something was corrupted in it

Message 4 of 7
sb801
Aspirant

I performed a factory reset but I am still experiencing the same inconsistent internet connection performance and frequent disconnects. 

What is happening is very strange.  For example, one of the ways I test the connection is through my Iphone connected to the wireless network.  I run a speed check using the Speedtest app by Ookla.  The first test after a power cycle performs well.  Then on the second or third test it is extremely slow or it fails with no connection.  What is weird is the server that it uses does not stay the same from the first to subsequent tests.  I don't recall this happening before.  Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try a device hardwired to the router. We need to figure out if its an inconsistent wireless issue, if the whole router is inconsistent, or if it has something to do with the connection to modem

Message 6 of 7
sb801
Aspirant

I tried again with a hardwired device to the router and then to the modem.  Both are working the same which is what I did not think was happening several days ago -- basically it works fine after a power cycle for 4 minutes and then the connection slows significantly or fails.  As a result, I am now back to working with my internet provider to determine the issue.  Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7