回复

Upgrading 1st disk on RN214 (pure JBOD config)

t_m
Aspirant
Aspirant

Upgrading 1st disk on RN214 (pure JBOD config)

Hi, I have a RN214 which I populated with whatever disks I had lying around in a fully JBOD config (1TB, 2TB, 4TB, 3TB respectively) when I bought it. Now I'm trying build up safety by upgrading disks and pairing them. Step 1: Disk1 is 1TB to be replaced by 2TB and paired with Disk2 which is already 2TB in either Xraid or RAID1 configuration.

Currently Disk1 has the login/ home directories of my family ONLY. These have already been backed up to Disk2.

I need your help to be very sure of the next steps before I actually do them:

I remove Disk1_1TB and replace it with a 2TB HDD.

Format the new Disk1_2TB.// I use btrfs always - can that be an issue later? Does creating a RAID1 or Xraid necessarily need BOTH disks to be empty.

Question - Do I switch off and replace OR just replace while on? I believe I should stay on else logins will fail - I will need to be admin for backup recovery. Please confirm.

Now, can I create an Xraid/ RAID1 immediately between Disk1 and Disk2 - I assume not since the login/ home directories are not there.

So I bring up the new Disk1 as JBOD...

I recover the backup from Disk2 to Disk1. Now I should get logins, home directories etc back in place.

Now I move everything from Disk2 to Disk1. //Now Disk1 is ready & complete, while Disk2 is empty.

Change Disk1 from JBOD to Xraid/ RAID1. //Which one should I choose? I believe that it would be better to go to RAID1 (mirroring)

Pair it with Disk2 and let it sync by itself. // Does this work? Or do I have to do something more?

I do NOT want that disk3&4 (JBODs) to be touched (they'll need to be replaced by a pair of 8TB or higher HDDs) - thats in the future, one step at a time. // Do I need to remove them from the system while configuring Disk 1&2?

Finally I should get Disk1&2 in a Xraid/ RAID1 pair, Disk3 & Disk4 to continue as JBODs as before. Phew!!

Further down the line : pair Disk 3&4 as Xraid or RAID 1 in addition to the Disk1&2 pair established above.

I really need to be sure of all the steps before I start. I can't afford to loose any data on any existing hard disks.

TIA

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
1 条消息(共 1 条)
讨论统计
  • 0 条回复
  • 2862 次查看
  • 0 个奖励
  • 1 交谈中