× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Aircard no battery error: SOLVED!

bsalnick
Follower

Aircard no battery error: SOLVED!

Searching the Net, and this site, reveals that there is a huge amount of disappointment resulting from a firmware update that happened recently.  Hundreds of people are inquiring about the new "No Battery" error.

I believe that I have located the source of this error.

It seems that Netgear, in an abundance of fear of lawsuits for the "exploding lithium battery" problem, has modified the firmware in your unit to decrease the maximum allowable temperature that the battery can reach.  In fact, they have decreased it so far that the batteries, and the units that they power, have become nearly useless.

Here's the fix:  Take the back off of your Aircard, and set it on a "blue ice" pack so that the battery is in direct contact with the cold pack.  This will keep the battery cool during use, and during charging as well.

As long as the battery stays cool, the error will not occur.

Message 1 of 3
Heliman
Initiate

Re: Aircard no battery error: SOLVED!

I wouldn't say that the problem is "solved" by any means. That may be a temporary fix but the underlying problem stlll remains. I joined the ranks of everyone else when my hotspot began having the "no battery" problem six months ago. Mine lives on an ice pack and still must be rebooted just about every 15 minutes. Firmware updates and new batteries are not the fix. Why is that no one at NetGear wants to discuss or ackowledge the situation. This is obviously not an isolated case and it affects numerous consumers. The only way to get any real help on the problem is to pay for "premium customer support"? I don't think so. The only way to get someone's attention is to discuss it on social media and purchase other products. Why reward NetGear by buying another hotspot that will have the same issues?

Is there anyway of "contacting" NetGear without paying for premium support? Its not "premium" if I have to pay to discuss a widely known problem with them, that anyone with 2 fingers can find all over the internet.

Model: AirCard 770S (AT&T)|AT&T Unite
Message 2 of 3
sfphoto
Aspirant

W-6 battery in 770s

W-6 battery in 770s

I replaced the W-5 battery (original) with a W-8 and got another year (+/-) of use.

The W-8 is from the newer 779 so may be that the W-5's are old stock?

Wonder now if a W-6 from the 781 would work? May prohibit the use of the battery cover.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7