× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: DC112A Firmware problems

Cuffuffles
Tutor

DC112A Firmware problems

I am using the DC112A with an 810S for home internet over 4G. When I first got the device (firmware 1.0.0.24) there was a issue where, when streaming (to twitch/hitbox etc) my ping would spike to around 8-9000 every 15 or so minutes. I called support and within a few days a firmware update (1.0.0.30) which seemingly fixed the issue. However, this firmware update broke the games themselves. Every 20 or so minutes I will suddenly disconnect from the game server. No lag, no indications beforehand, just instant disconnect. Obviously not being able to stream is better than not being able to play certain games at all, however downgrading is apparently impossible on this device and/or firmware.

This issue only seems to happen while playing Black ops 2 or Black ops 3 (Haven't tried other CoD games but I am guessing the issue persists) and does not happen when using the hotspot outside of the cradle. The only thing I can see that these games have in common is that they operate on port 3074, however using a VPN doesn't fix this so it won't be a port issue. I have port forwarded everything, I have tried DMZ and I've confirmed I can see all open ports but the issue persists. It's most definitely a firmware problem.

With 2 different firmwares there have been 2 different problems. Surely this isn't normal for netgear? I am hoping for a firmware update to fix this very soon as I currently can't use my internet properly due to this issue. In the meantime, I don't suppose it's possible to force a downgrade of sorts? Obviously I'd rather not stream than not be able to play the game at all.

Some things I have tried:

• Port forwarding
  • DMZ
  • QoS
  • Adding a DD-WRT router in series (a longshot but it was lying around)
  • Factory reset (both hotspot and cradle)
  • UPnP on and off on both cradle and hotspot

I'd like to think I am fairly good with networking, so if you need any technical information please ask and I'll try get it for you.

Model: DC112A|AirCard Smart Cradle
Message 1 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Cuffuffles

Can you provide this info

• Screenshot of his AirCard 810S About Screen.
  • Type of cellular network he is connecting to and the number of signal bars he has.
  • Wireshark packet capture of issue occurring – We need customer to set up Wireshark to sniff packets and then start the Black Ops 2 or 3 game and play until the disconnection occurs. Once the disconnection occurs we need him to wait couple of minutes and stop the capture at that point.  Once capture has been completed please provide us with the packet capture so we can see what is going on.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 36
Cuffuffles
Tutor

AirCard About Screen

I am connecting to the Telstra 4GX network on radio band B28 and I have full bars.

Wireshark Capture

The IP of the BO3 server that gets disconnected is 185.34.107.52. Using the display filter of ip.addr == 185.34.107.52 should make it easier to find what you're looking for as I have a network computer connected to this one and it was included in the capture.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Message 3 of 36
safejohn01
Aspirant

Had there been any updates on this?

Message 4 of 36
Cuffuffles
Tutor

Nope, still having the same issues and no firmware update has been released as of yet.

Message 5 of 36
Tezzal
Aspirant

I am also having problems since upgrading to 1.0.0.30 firmware on the DC112a. I have reduced WiFi range, constant drop outs over the LAN, even on the NAS. It doesn't seem to be keeping IP's on the LAN, when my devices drop off for a few seconds, they get a different IP when reconnected, even a wired device. 

I have tried to go back to the old firmware, at least it was better for me, but they have prevented us from going back, when I try to it says are you sure this firmware is older, but there is no "Yes" option, just "No". I even tried using tftp to update (to an older) firmware, but it wont work either.

Message 6 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Tezzal

Have you tried to factory reset and then revert the firmware?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 36
Tezzal
Aspirant

Yes, multiple times.
Message 8 of 36
Cuffuffles
Tutor

@DarrenM Just wondering if there has been any update on this?

Did my attached files point towards a specific problem? Possibly something that could be fixed without a firmware upgrade?

Message 9 of 36
voodoo69
Aspirant

Netgear smart cradle dc112a -1Z1MES firmware Firmware Version 1.0.0.12

I try to  update my smart cradle from Netgar site firmware version 1.0.0.12 is unable to install. Heres what i get when i try to install the firmware "the firmware file is oncorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product"

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DC112A%20(Zain).aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.0.12

Right now my Firmware Version 1.0.0.4 (Initial Release).

Can you help me ?

I would like to this 1.0.012  firmare  beacause :

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed the issue where the Cradle UI does not show 4G+ RAT icon, when the MHS is connected to two or more LTE CA Bands support.
Model: DC112A (Zain)|Zain Smart Cradle
Message 10 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello voodoo69

Try to load the firmware using TFTP see if that works.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...

DarrenM

Message 11 of 36
voodoo666
Aspirant

Don't work.

DC112A-V1.0.0.12_1.0.60 - DC112A-V1.0.0.12_1.0.60OOREDOO.chk  work in station DC112A-1Z1MES(Zain)?

Auto update not detected this firmware  only Firmware Version V1.0.0.4_1.0.60.

Why  this update don't work in my DC112A Zain ?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30803/~/dc112a-(zain)-firmware-version-1.0.0.12  .

Only

Previous Versions

Firmware Version 1.0.0.4 (Initial Release)   work ;/.

Message 12 of 36
voodoo69
Aspirant

Firmware don't work in Zain Cradle.Can  Netgear fix this firmare?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30803.

Netgear smart cradle dc112a - model: 1Z1MES (Zain). Don't work. Cradle is Zain,but autoupdate (search update) Cradle  don't  see this update.Firmware don't updare needen't.Now my Cradle Zain firmware is Version 1.0.0.4  initial realase.  Can I update  this cradle to DC112A-V1.0.0.12_1.0.60.I have Zain Cradle ;/

DC112A-V1.0.0.12_1.0.60OOREDOO.chk . What is OOREDOO?Why this update don't  work all Zain Cradle ?

Please help!!!

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...

I try this  DC112A-V1.0.0.12_1.0.60OOREDOO.chk  but error firmware  ;/

Message 13 of 36
JakeMuSS
Aspirant

Netgear can we please get a way to downgrade this device. 1.0.0.30 firmware has stuffed 2 of the cradles and need them working?

Cheers,

Jake

Message 14 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JakeMuSS

Have you tried to downgrade via the firmware on the support page?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DC112A.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

Voodoo69

I am looking into the issue you are having with the Zain Dc112A

DarrenM

Message 15 of 36
JakeMuSS
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

Yeah the problem is you can downgrade, it does not have the ok button when you try it. 

Cheers,

jake

Message 16 of 36
JakeMuSS
Aspirant

Exactly like Tezzal it just has a no. Not a yes! 

Message 17 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JakeMuSS

I inquired about this and what I have been told is downgrading the firmware on the Dc112A is not supported.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 36
JakeMuSS
Aspirant

Hey DarrenM,

Hmm so upgrade the firmware and stuffs the cradle up then can't downgrade... that is nuts! 

Cheers,

Jake

Message 19 of 36
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@voodoo666

I checked and the Firmware version 1.0.0.12 was posted in error for Zain it was ment for another ISP so the FW version you are on is the latest for Zain. It will be removed from the support site.

DarrenM

Message 20 of 36
voodoo69
Aspirant

Thanks DarrenM

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed the issue where the Cradle UI does not show 4G+ RAT icon, when the MHS is connected to two or more LTE CA Bands support.

Can You this Year or next Year  update  Zain Cradle soft ?I would like to upgrade my cradle. I hate this bug only 4G in my cradle. I will  fixed my cradle too .Please Can You Create new soft (new Uprade) in 4G+ bug fixes in my  cradle 🙂

I have 4G+ in my Ac810S.

Message 21 of 36
Cuffuffles
Tutor

I've been having these problems for a while now and I am wondering if there is any update on these issues?

In addition to the issues in my original post, I am also experiencing the issues reported by others (LAN drop outs, wifi issues etc). I originially thought those issues were just the downsides of a 4G connection but after testing outside the cradle I can confirm that is not the case. I bought a wifi access point to get around the wifi issue however it is of course still prone to LAN dropouts and all other issues. The cradle also seems to periodically 'disconnect' from the external antenna and the patch lead needs to be 'wiggled' before it is recognised again. This didn't happen on the old firmware, at least as far as I know.

Now that there are other devices supporting these new 4G networks I need to know if anything is being done about these issues and an ETA of fixes otherwise it would be easier to just purchase a different modem.

I do hope a resolution to these problems is being looked into.

Message 22 of 36
CarlChapman
Aspirant

This issue is still happening.

Through extensive testing of 2 x DC112A with both AC810S and AC790S modems on the Telstra 4G system, I have established firmware V1.0.0.30_1.0.60 for the DC112A cradle has several bugs in it....

These bugs include:- slowing connection, blocking some pages, packet blocking, causing some pages in IE11 to time out (both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1)...

Note:-
1. Chrome and Firefox are not as bad as IE, but still have some problems
2. Apply systems are not as bad, but still have some problems.

If I run directly through the modems without a cradle, there is no problem at all in any of my systems.

Unfortunately:-
1. The cradle firmware does not allow you to downgrade to the original (and working ) version V1.0.0.24_1.0.60 though the admin UI (there is no Yes button to apply the old firmware)
2. The boot sequence has changed in V1.0.0.30_1.0.60, and does not allow you to get the router into loader mode (as described in the article (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...) , so you can no longer TFTP the pervious version into the cradle.
3. Telstra are now shipping the routers with the bad firmware V1.0.0.30_1.0.60, so you cannot buy the old firmware version.
4. I have spoken with Netgear technical support, and reached the point there is nothing further they can do, and they have asked me to return the cradle to process a replacement under the "hardware warranty" .... (which will probably have the bad firmware in it also)

We can only live in hope that Netgear will fix the bugs and issue an update, but given this ticket has been open for 5 months I would not hold my breath.

It is so unfortunate as this was a really good system with no problems for me for a year.

Message 23 of 36
Saltwaterjunkie
Aspirant

I have this exact problem too. Has this been solved for anybody yet.

Message 24 of 36
CarlChapman
Aspirant

Has not been fixed yet... I checked my system the other day and the firmware is still on version V1.0.0.30_1.0.60.... its been over 6 months for me now.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7