× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

NIGHTHAWK M1 Telstra Firmware ????

chefben
Aspirant

NIGHTHAWK M1 Telstra Firmware ????

Bought this M1 device to replace the AirCard 810S, also known as Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III and  DC112A

I bought the deivce because our landline sped is only 4mb and NBN is years away. 

I get good connection speeds with the 810s typically 90mb down and 30mb up rather consistently. I have an extrernal antenna. Have random issues on occasions with pages not loading etc, but 90% of the time it works fine. Have wondered if it is DNS issues, firewall issues or even enviromental. A friend with the same unit has said that he discovered that there is a underlying issue with the device that Netgear has confirmed. 

The M1 in the same envrioment is typically very poor. Avg speed is 20mb down / 8mb up

Power issues restarting when connected on the network. 

I have been dissapointed with this unit and are close to returning it. 

Before I do that is a firmware fix far away ? Right now I'm using the current Firmware of the device as it shipped. Hard V1. 

Does anyone from netgear have any insights to when this device might get a firmware upgrade ?

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 1 of 12
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Re: NIGHTHAWK M1 Telstra Firmware ????

Hi chefben,

Keen to get some further information from you in regards to this isuse:

1.  Are you using a Telstra SIM or a SIM with another carrier?

2.  Have you also got your external antenna plugged into the M1?

3.  When you performed your speedtests was it using speetest.net and if so, were you using the same speedtest.net server as the test you did with the AC810S?

4.  Have you only got WiFi clients connected or are you also using the Ethernet Port, USB port or SD card slot?

5.  Is the device constantly plugged into a wall adapter?

6. What is the current and battery temprature showing under settings - diagnostics?

Regards,

ArodiD

Message 2 of 12
chefben
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay I had to travel and have been out of office.

Since my post has there been a firmware made available yet ? There certianly isnt via the admin pages of the device. 

After being out of office, I think my biggest frustration now necessarily isnt the speeds as they closer than they have ever been. 

But the biggest issue is that the M1 device does not work with at all with the ethernet cable plugged in either being plugged in a switch as Internet 2 or directly into a laptop. 

Could I have faulty device ? 

Answers to your questions...

1.  Are you using a Telstra SIM or a SIM with another carrier?

>>>Only Telstra Sim

2.  Have you also got your external antenna plugged into the M1?

>>>I've tried both, without external and with external. generally speaking the external is better. 

3.  When you performed your speedtests was it using speetest.net and if so, were you using the same speedtest.net server as the test you did with the AC810S?

yes using speedtest.net

Only using Telstra Server for each test 

M1 No Antenna ( via USB ) 

M1 with Antenna ( via USB ) 

M1 with Antenna ( via LAN ) 
Will not work in network environment. Just does not register on router. 

AC810S No Antenna in Dock 

AC810S with Antenna in Dock 

AC810S with Antenna no Dock ( via USB ) 

In many of the cases 

4.  Have you only got WiFi clients connected or are you also using the Ethernet Port, USB port or SD card slot?

I have been using mostly USB, because Ethernet just does not work what so ever. I had bought it to be only used in ethernet. 

5.  Is the device constantly plugged into a wall adapter?

It has not been. 

Message 3 of 12
unlochka
Aspirant

Hello.

I was also interested in the firmware for my device MR1100!

On my device the screen constantly saying "Detecting service" (see attached). Are there any other firmware? Ready to become a beta tester to test the networks of other operators in Russia.

Thank you.

small.jpg

Message 4 of 12
PerthPhil
Tutor

Had a Nighthawk M1 for a month after being advised by Telstra that this would make a good fallback whilst they fixed the firmware issues on their Gateway Pro / Netgear V7610.  

Results were intermitant at best, only able to get link status 1 in five times and sometimes not at all despite however many times I patched / unpatched.  I tried Cisco 887 router, desktop, forcing speed on NIC.

After 4-5 weeks of frustration, tech calls and a formal complaint, Telstra agreed to take it back and waive all charges.

It is a spectacular concept but ethernet justn't work and 4G performance is no better than aircard or MF910 until the base stations and backbone are upgraded (dependent on where you live)

Personally I suspect Telstra has diddled the firmware with a constraint so that it only works with a desktop (not switch) but that the restriction did not implement well.  I have no inside information to support this theory by the way - just conspiracy 🙂

Message 5 of 12
rusty12345
Aspirant

I see no answer to the question is there, or when is, a firmware update available for this unit ? Can someone please tell me ?

I have a unit that has lost all WIFI broadcast. Brand new, worked for 2 days, then no wifi broadcast. still works through ethernet perfectly....can still access wifi settings in setup, but nothing getting broadcast,,,nada, zero, cannot use wifi....have done the usual, factory reset, removed battery and sim, result is exactly the same no wifi broadcast, but internet access works fine through ethernet.....I say it's faulty ,,,,big time....any one gonna tell me different ?

Message 6 of 12
PerthPhil
Tutor

Take it back quickly - before it gets too hard to return!!!

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for your patience.

A firmware update (NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04) was recently released.

We try to release updates only when there's been a significant amount of changes. It's not much fun installing very regular updates that usually have no changes relevant to you so we prefer fewer more meaningful updates.

If you're still having issues give this update a try and let us know how you find it.

Message 8 of 12
PerthPhil
Tutor

Won't help me. I took mine back and got a refund after repeated efforts to diagnose the ethernet problem.

I am surprised you haven't pulled this firmware release as well after all the problems not recognising Telstra SIMs in them...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Mobile-Broadband/Nighthawk-M1-Router-Firmware-upgrade/td-p/70...

Upgrader beware I guess...

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That incorrect display appears to be a browser caching issue. My Dashboard wasn't displaying properly and yet after clearing the cache it then displayed fine.

Message 10 of 12
cavok76
Aspirant

I bet you trying to use Chrome for a browser.

This version of firmware has been completely botched for Chrome. Very poor QA.

Try Firefox, IE or Safari.

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Interestingly when it wasn't displaying properly for me in Safari, I opened Chrome and the Dashboard displayed fine in that for me. I then cleared the recent cache from Safari and it displayed fine in that as well.

I'm using Chrome version 60.0.3112.90.

Have you tried clearing the cache in your web browser?

Web browsers cache websites so they can load them faster. However you don't want this for a web admin page especially when it has undergone a fair bit of change as a mixture of cached stuff from a previous version and non-cached current stuff can lead to it displaying weirdly.

Updates go through extended testing and we don't support beta versions of web browsers. Chrome 60 was only released a few weeks before the latest M1 firmware update.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7