× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

sharpie510
Follower

Netgear Mingle (778S) operating without battery on ac power possible?

I am looking to buy a hotspot stricly on 4G LTE.  I see the Netgear Mingle on freedompop for $20 with 500mb data free every month.  I would like to use this just to monitor a Nest Thermostat in my vacation home so I want to keep the hotspot on all the time.  Does anyone know if I can operate the hotspot with the battery removed and running solely on USB AC power?  I suppose I could just keep the battery in and also run on USB, but I think for safety it would be preferable to run it with the battery removed.  Anyone know if this is possible?  I know other hotspots like the Sierra Wireless 803s can do this.  Thanks.

Model: AirCard 778S (Virgin Mobile)|NETGEAR® MINGLE™ Mobile Hotspot
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Sharpie510

Yes this will run just fine with no battery and just being plugged in.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
jimb_fromATL
Aspirant

I have a VirginMobile Netgear Mingle modem.  Not only will it NOT work without a battery,  In fact it soon started giving a chronic error message that there is no battery even when there IS a battery.      Also stops working when the message is that the battery is fully charged, and requires power-off and back on to use it.

Removing the battery,  reseting, etc would fix the problem for a few minutes or a few hours.

Since it was out of warranty I  was told it had to be replaced by purchasing a new one. Naively thought it was just that single modem so bought another, but noooooo. The new one devloped the same problem very soon.  I see from other threads that other netgear hotspot modems have the same problem.

So in answer to the registration question, no, I do not want updates about new netgear products.

jimb

Model: AirCard 301U (Telstra)|Telstra Turbo™ (USB 301),AirCard 778S (Virgin Mobile)|NETGEAR® MINGLE™ Mobile Hotspot
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7