× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M1 Dynamic DNS support

DMcCookie
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 Dynamic DNS support

Hello,

Can anyone please confirm whether the Nighthawk M1 router supports Dynamic Dns so it can be used for remote access without a fixed IP?

Thanks in advance

David.

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk M1 Dynamic DNS support

Not supported directly by M1 but you can use dyn DNS service such as http://dyn.com/dns/ which would work fine. Dyn would map the dynamic IP the M1 is getting from ISP to enable remote access.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
DMcCookie
Aspirant

Thanks Darren,

how would Dyn know the ip unless something at that address was contacting it, such as a computer with their app on it or a router set to contact the Dyn servers?

In my experience I'd need the router to have a setting so I can tell it to contact dyn with its dyn host ID.

Thanks again

David

Message 3 of 9
JohnMcG007
Tutor

As far as I can tell there is no Dynamic DNS support in any of the menu options which is very disappointing.  If you have port forwarding support you should really have Dynamic DNS support. Hopefully, some new firmware comes out soon with this feature enabled.  If you do not have Dynamic DNS on the router then there is no ability for the device to tell DNS services of a change of IP address as far as I am aware.  Any idea if Dynamic DNS is being added in an upcoming release Netgear support?  If so how far away otherwise I will need to look at purchasing alternative Mobile Broadband units such as Netcomm?

Model: MR1100| Nighthawk M1
Message 4 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JohnMcG007

No plan at the moment for Dynamic DNS

DarrenM

Message 5 of 9
JohnMcG007
Tutor

Hi Darren,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Please, please, please (sorry to sound like I am desperate but I am) is there any way that Dynamic DNS can be reconsidered very soon?.  I am looking for the speed that these network devices provide with the plan to use many hundreds of them over time for business purposes to run remote cameras. The cameras do not have the smarts to do this.  

Thanks

John

Message 6 of 9
frankwarrell
Guide

Can I second that please. BIG request for Dynamic DNS support AND also remote access to the router via WAN, where we can manually assign a remote admin port number. I too find it odd that it supports port forwarding but not DDNS. We are using the M1 in remote locations with IP cameras we connect to, and if it goes offline there's no way of remotely diagnosing or isolating the issue. If we could talk to the router the same way we can talk to the camera remotely, this would be a big help.

Would it be too much to also request SMS diagnostics, eg sending an SMS to ask what it's WAN IP address is?

Or is Netgear looking at releasing an industrial grade version of this router with LTE Category 16 under the hood?

Thanks in advance.

FW

Message 7 of 9
phillm12
Aspirant

As there been any update to this.

Can the Nighthawk M1 support DDNS or is it still no.

Message 8 of 9
frankwarrell
Guide

So far that's a "no" through my channels. Such a shame as it would be a great router if they allowed for DDNS and also remote admin access. Once of the firmware versions did allow it (on port 80 only) but that was closed up in subsequent firmware.

C'mon Netgear. If you have port forwarding it makes sense to also have DDNS, and remove admin access... please update!

🙂

PC

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7