× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

No USB Tethering Icon in Settings

euphos
Aspirant

No USB Tethering Icon in Settings

I have one of the newer AT&T/Netgear AC815S rugged hotspots, and recently had a need to use the hotspot  with USB tethered connection.  However while trying to follow the tutorial online, I notice that I don't have the Tether icon on my settings page.  I've had our company IT people look at it, and they just tell me the device must not support tethering.  I took it to a local AT&T store, and they said that there looks to be 2 different versions in their system.  The regular AC815S and the rugged version AC815S.  But they said they both have the same part number.  They thought maybe it was a feature that was to be added, but hasn't been yet.  I'm looking for anyone with knowledge and/or has a WORKING USB tether connection on a AC815S.  Exact model number is AC815ABS-1A1NAS (AirCard 815S).

Tether1.PNGTether2.PNGTether3.PNG

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Re: No USB Tethering Icon in Settings

Hi,

ATT sells two different variants (SKUs) of the AC815.

AC815S-1A1NAS is the consumer SKU and has tethering feature available.

AC815ABS-1A1NAS is the enterprise SKU and has tethering feature removed.

Steve

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Euphos

Have you downloaded the ATT software to tether? page 15 shows the process

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/aircard/AC815S_ATT/AC815S_ATT_UM.pdf

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

ATT sells two different variants (SKUs) of the AC815.

AC815S-1A1NAS is the consumer SKU and has tethering feature available.

AC815ABS-1A1NAS is the enterprise SKU and has tethering feature removed.

Steve

Message 3 of 6
euphos
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Steve!  I was told by AT&T that there were two different models in their system, but they couldn't tell me the difference.

Now for the million dollar question.....How do I as a business account (Enterprise) go about getting the consumer version that allows USB tethering (without purchasing it myself)?  I'm trying to setup a "Business Continuation Plan" where if our wired network goes down, I have a cellular backup.  I planned to use the AC815 tethered to a WIFI access point/router (Dovado, DD-WRT E4200 or something similar) which have implemented using a cellular hotspot/modem for internet access.

Message 4 of 6
stevesw
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

You will need to contact your ATT account person to see if you can order the consumer SKU.

AT&T SKU 6005A is consumer SKU that allows tethering

AT&T SKU 6012A is Enterprise SKU with tethering disabled

If you are looking for a cellular backup option, then you could also look at using one of our LTE modem products (LB1120 or LB2120).

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

These offer an ethernet LAN with LTE WAN so can easily connect up with any current router you may have.

The LB2120 has 2 ethernet ports and can be configured to auto-failover to LTE when the cabled backhaul connection goes down.

Note that LB1120 is available today.

The LB2120 can be ordered but will not be available for delivery until April timeframe.

Steve

Message 5 of 6
euphos
Aspirant

Thanks for the info Steve!  I'll pass the SKU I need to our IT person (who is the account contact for our AT&T phones).

I'll look into the LB LTE Modems.  I already have an AT&T / Netgear AC340U USB modem in addition to the AC815 hotspot.  I did see you're coming out with a MR1100 LTE Router that looks interesting.  But I've looked at the Dovado Pro-AC, Netgear DC112A and a DD-WRT version Linksys E4200.  All of those require an additional LTE source (AC815 or AC340U).

Ron

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7