× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

aircard goes online without permission

ForestRaven
Aspirant

aircard goes online without permission

Hello all,

I know most people just leave everything turned on. But my wifi service is very limited (only 6 G) and very expensive so I like to control when my computer is able to go online so that I can monitor downloads.

But lately, I've noticed that when I turn my computer on in the morning and turn the aircard on, it goes online automatically without my making the connection manually.

I was wondering what would give it the power to do that?

Is it some program on my computer? Is it programed to just automatically do that assuming that is what the user wants?

I was wondering if anyone would know why this happens and what I can do to stop it.

Thank you.

Model: AirCard 785S (TELUS)|NETGEAR AirCard 785S Mobile Hotspot
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: aircard goes online without permission

Hello ForestRaven

When you power the Aircard on it starts to broadcast the Wifi and if the PC has that network saved it will automatically connect to that network if its in range.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ForestRaven

When you power the Aircard on it starts to broadcast the Wifi and if the PC has that network saved it will automatically connect to that network if its in range.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
ForestRaven
Aspirant

Thank you for the response, Darren. So I take it, the only thing is for me to be there when everything powers up so I can manually cancel it.  That's not a problem.

I was just more concerned that there was some program on my computer that was taking control of things. I hate the fact that programs can get online without my permission and sometimes there is nothing I can do about it.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7