Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

App Issues

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
syke
Aspirant
Aspirant

This product is so close to being the perfect baby monitor, but the issues with app connectivity means that it completely fails where it counts. I would argue, as some others already have in this forum, that the issues are so severe that it could even be dangerous to a baby's wellbeing in certain circumstances.

The issues with latency (~2 second delay) are not ideal but I could live with this if I was just able to connect to the live feed in teh app seamlessly and consistently. The fact that it takes ~10 seconds to initialise the connection is just too long. Further, on a regular basis the connection will not initialise at all and requires closing out of the app several times to get it to work (sometimes we just need to give up and try again later). Finally, on several occasions we have left the app open for some time thinking we were viewing the live feed only to find out down the track that it had in fact frozen and not refreshed for over 30 minutes.

These ongoing issues with the app connectivity are driving my wife crazy and has left me very disappointed with what is a relatively expensive product. This is all especially disappointing given how good the product could be if it worked as advertised.

My only hope is that there is an update around the corner for the app/firmware which will resolve these constant issues. Can you confirm?

And yes, I have a very strong and stable wifi connection running in the house.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new Arlo Baby firmware was just released. Make sure your Arlo Baby is up to date on the latest firmware and test again to see if you are still experiencing the same behavior.

Release Notes – Arlo Baby 1.8.0.31_13810 – 9th August 2017

JamesC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What Phone and OS... ?

Have you tried doing a reset on the Baby ( and resync ) to see if delay is lessened?

I do know the Netgear is aware of an issue with always on audio sometime dropping with some phones.. no eta.

Put in a trouble report to Netgear Support... if they aren't aware, they can't fix it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

syke,

Some mobile devices have battery saving settings that put the phone into a sleep mode or close apps after a period of time. Do you have any settings like this enabled on your mobile device?

JamesC

syke
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I am using an iPhone 7 with the latest iOS. Background refresh is turned on.

Given that similar issues are occuring on both my phone, my wife's phone and our iPad suggests to me it is a systemic issue with the app. This would mirror similar complaints by other users.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new Arlo Baby firmware was just released. Make sure your Arlo Baby is up to date on the latest firmware and test again to see if you are still experiencing the same behavior.

Release Notes – Arlo Baby 1.8.0.31_13810 – 9th August 2017

JamesC

syke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am pleased to report that the firmware update you have mentioned appears to have lead to significant performance improvements in the app. Activating Live Mode now only takes ~2 seconds and the lag has reduced to ~1 second.

I will reserve my final judgement until I have used the app for a few more days, but it now seems to be significantly improved and close to perfect.

Thank you!

syke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am sorry to report that I spoke too soon. After experiencing much improved performance, after 48 hours the behaviour of the app has reverted to the original poor performance i.e. failing to connect to Live Mode after multiple attempts. Very frustrating, especially after getting a glimpse of it working optimally.

What could explain this bizarre behaviour, some sort of caching effect?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

syke,

Do you have bluetooth enabled on your phone? If so, try toggling bluetooth off and then see if you still get the same behavior when attempting to stream using the Arlo mobile app.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation