Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Anyone have the Arlo Go on the Arlo network and find that you're using data even though there is no video and/or audio being triggered to record?

I got an alert yesterday I had used 11 of my 15 mins and assumed I wasn't keeping track, but today I have an alert that I've used 12 and the camera has not been used for viewing or recording.

17 REPLIES 17
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

was there an update of the sw ? 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

sw?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

software to the camera

Contact Netgear support re this

Morse is faster than texting!
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Unless it does it on its own, then no. I have not done any updates.

Even so, last I remember I was at 4 mins of actual usage and less than a week later I'm not at 12 mins of usage.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

Firmware updates for the camera will complete automatically. This could explain the extra data usage. If you continue to experience this issue, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team to further investigate.

JamesC

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from them.

If that's the case, that's some bull. I could see if I accepted the update knowing it would use data, but to do so automatically, smh

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

so, this problem is still occuring.

I legit used 40 mins of a 120 min plan, but now mysteriously 80 mins have been used without using the camera. absurd

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

How often do you live stream the camera? Live streaming will use data even when not recording. This is the only thing that would use data other than motion/sound detection events. Does anyone else have access to the camera?

JamesC

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

I would estimate about 1 min worth in the past few days along with about 2 mins of actual recording. 

There's no reason it should have eaten through 80 mins.

I'm quite familiar with their products, having 4 of the Arlo Pro's and 1 GO.

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

No, no one else has access. This problem has occurred in 2 different zip codes now.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

Definitely odd behavior, I see you have opened a support case on this. I will escalate your open case and attempt to find out more information.

JamesC

nothyme
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for writing about this. I thought it was just me.  I noticed that I was losing minutes on my 15 minutes a month plan. What can we do about this? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nothyme,

Keep in mind when live streaming your Arlo Go camera, this will consume minutes/data even though live streams are not automatically record to the library. How often do you live stream?

JamesC

alanferg
Tutor
Tutor

This is good to know. I'm considering purchasing several Arlo Go cameras to monitor my property but will look at competing products. Totally understandable that live streaming uses data, but unacceptable for camera updates forced by manufacturer to eat MY limited data/minutes.

BRADEY24
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issues with my Go as well. I’ve even disabled the camera and it continues to use data. I had a case number but they have been no help at all
sagethyme
Guide
Guide

I understand that any live stream will eat minutes so I calculate that into my remaining time. At this time I am fine with the cameras and haven't come close to using all the 15 minutes. The cameras are located in a second house in another state so no one is coming and going with any regularity. In order to beef up the security system I added a SimpliSafe security system. The house does not have internet access and it would be difficult to have it installed. SimpliSafe cameras need internet thus the combination of the 2 systems works well. 

bogie1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear support cant tell you exactly what/who has been using the data in your camera. I have a Vodafone unlimited data SIM so dont keep track on mine

cheers

bogie
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation