Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I use only the local storage with Arlo Go and turn off (or never activate) cellular?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
TraneTrax
Tutor
Tutor

We want to monitor the jobsite where our new house is being built. There is no power or wi-fi.

My plan is to mount the Arlo Go to a tree overlooking the site and our storage trailer, and use the local storage to capture activity. Then if anything happens (namely, theft of tools or materials), I can review the locally-stored video later.

We do NOT need live-streaming or cloud storage (nor do I want to pay for those).

Can the Arlo Go be used in this way, with the cellular connection either turned off or never activated? I think it has to be activated initially to setup the camera, but then I don't want it using any cellular data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TraneTrax wrote:

But if I use the data plan, can I limit what the camera sends so as not to go over and get bumped to a higher plan (assuming that's how it works)? I understand it's motion-activated. But there will be lots of motion every day at the site.

TMK, you must use a data plan... how much data is adjustable to a degree by limiting to after hours or scheduling by you.( for the camera to be active )

There is not much else you can do as any motion recorded will go to the cloud and the mem card at the same time..and that involves data usage

Not to steer you away from buying a Netgear product, but have you looked at game cameras ?

( I rather you be happy than buy a product only to find it doesn't suit your needs )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It would do what you want and record to the local mem card, but to the best of my knowledge you would need to at least sign up for the min amount of data plan...

Remember without a data plan you would have no control over the commands and scheduling.

I think a small expense for what you may save is worth it... like insurance.

TraneTrax
Tutor
Tutor

But if I use the data plan, can I limit what the camera sends so as not to go over and get bumped to a higher plan (assuming that's how it works)? I understand it's motion-activated. But there will be lots of motion every day at the site.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TraneTrax wrote:

TMK, you must use a data plan... how much data is adjustable to a degree by limiting to after hours or scheduling by you.( for the camera to be active )

There is not much else you can do as any motion recorded will go to the cloud and the mem card at the same time..and that involves data usage

Not to steer you away from buying a Netgear product, but have you looked at game cameras ?

( I rather you be happy than buy a product only to find it doesn't suit your needs )

TraneTrax
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your help. It turns out through Verizon I can get the Go for $349 with a 2-yr contract, at $20/month for the access fee, and it can use my existing data plan (which is 12GB, so plenty). I think that's the way to go.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

good to hear

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation