Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Monitoring Florida home from Canada

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
OttawaSnowbird
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am unclear exactly how this system works.  I know the camera is meant to be installed in the USA only, which is what I intend, but I would like to monitor it from Canada.  

The situation is I already have a wifi camera setup in my Florida condo so I can monitor the condo from Canada.  However, last year with Mathew and this year with Irma, just when we want/need to see, of course the power is down.  

I would like to leave this camera down there, plugged in, not use it much, but when the power goes down, have it auto switched to battery power and,  using the Arlo cellular plan, be able to see in the condo.  

The info explicitly says "for USA only" but doesn't that mean I could still monitor from anywhere that I can get on the Internet?

Secondly, assuming the answer to the first question is "sure, no problem", do you think the system is reliable enough?  I would hate to pay for it year round and then find it is offline when I need it.  

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The main issue is the cell service so your installation in the US is fine.  You can monitor for anywhere.

However, the problem will be switching to battery power.  Inability to connect to a cell tower may run down the battery quickly like what happens with the wireless cameras when the base goes down.  I don't know that this is actually true, just thinking. In any event, the battery could be the limiting factor.  I haven't tested how long the battery lasts with no power supplied - maybe someone else will jump in.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I have had mine last for one to two months on battery with 10 to 30 recordings per day.

That's with a fairly weak 1 to 2 bar cell signal.

Right now I am the other side of the world, 8 time zones away, busy monitoring the camera at home.

From time to time it does go offline as the cell signal varies, but does come back online itself.

OttawaSnowbird
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is very useful information, thanks to both of you.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation