Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Allow reuse of rules in modes like in the old UI

After a recent system update, which redid the way rules and modes are set up by the user, it is no longer possible to reuse rules that have already been created. This wastes a lot of time and resources when creating modes, as identical rules have to be recreated from scratch for each mode in which they are to be utilized.

In the old UI the user had to create rules first, name each rule and would then create a mode utilizing the previously defined rules. No redundancies existed here, because the same rule could be used in multiple modes.

In the new UI modes have to be created top-down, i.e. the mode is created first, and in it, the individual rules that constitute it, are then created. However, if a particular rule has been created in a specific mode, it is impossible to reuse that rule in another mode. Instead, the rule has to be recreated from scratch in the other mode.

It would be more efficient and reduce redundancies if it was possible to choose from a drop-down list of existing rules when naming a rule. Being able to give a rule a new unused name must still be possible, of course, otherwise rules could not be created.

Comments

Although I never used the previous version of the sorfware I agree here with Schorschi

The way this is at the moment is just plain awkward. I'm surprised to be honest that you seemed to have has this feature then dumbed the system down by dropping it. 

My experience is here 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Motion-Detection/Rules-and-Modes/m-p/1040622

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

T9001
Star

Yes. I just discovered this today. It has nearly convinced me to return the whole **** system. It's almost unuseable now after this update. If I want to adjust the sensitivity of my porch camera, not only does it take 9 clicks instead of what used to be 5 due to the sliders being hidden (why?) but I have to repeat this for each Mode? Rubbish. Sounds like a mgmt decision, by people who don't use the system.

Please let us re-use Rules again.

JHNoah
Novice

I agree with all previous frustrated users about being forced now to create brand new rules for each mode.  Please allow the user to select an already-established rule to use across modes.  

B2U
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also considering returning the whole system for this reason.  You mean I have to make a simple change to each camera?  That is uber cumbersome and ridiculous!!!  Seriously?!  All I want is to do is increase my video recording time from ten seconds to thirty for all cameras.  This is clearly a design flaw!

T9001
Star

The designers / programmers clearly don't use the system themselves, or this would have been fixed instantly. They don't appear to listen here, but maybe they will listen when their sales drop after bad reviews.

T9001
Star

Haha, and I notice Netgear's JamesC took the liberty of editing my ealier comment, but chose not to reply... LAME!!

jfkpeds
Onlooker
I have five of the Arlo Q plus cameras that I monitor on the app on my phone. I need to change the mode of these cameras several times a day. It would improve efficiency, when changing modes, to have a select all feature, or check boxes next to each camera to make the same mode changes in one step, rather than having to do it five times.
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

Target_Acquired
Apprentice

Arlo website app improvement idea #1:

Please allow the user to create rules separately from modes and then when creating a mode, allow the user to use the rules that were previously created.

The current process requires that each mode being created will need to have rules defined.  One.  At.  A.  Time.  This is a nit-picky and fiddly activity, and for my system of 11 cameras, the current method takes WAY too much time.

Arlo website app improvement idea #2:

Please allow me to copy rules and modes and then customize the copies and rename them.  This will allow the user to save time and not have to get nit-picky about defining these things individually and manually each time.