Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Automated message played through camera

I believe that if the Arlo Pro could playback a pre-recorded message at the time of motion detection, it would add another effective level of deterrent. 

I for one am not able to speak "live" through my phone for all occurrances of a motion detection (could be in a meeting, showering, sleeping, etc). If the message can be along the lines of..."Hi! This is an Arlo Security Camera!" it would not be inappropriate for a wanted visitor (eg delivery man) and at the same time give notice to any unwanted visitor of the presence of a security camera, which is not always seen. 

When I woke up this morning I saw a motion detection event had occured at 3AM. My phone was on silent because...well...sleep is pretty damn important to me. I saw on the video a young man in all black clothing with a flashlight looking through the windows of my car on the driveway. He probably didn't notice the camera above him. Luckily I had just cleaned out my car, so there was nothing for the man to take, but if he had heard an automated message from the camera, I imagine he would have fled immediately and not even look inside the car. 

Comments
WAlmonte
Aspirant
Great idea!!! It will be even better if it allows some decent preset options focused incl stern ones about the police being notified. You could also allow custom messaging with personal or computer voice.
c_lee
Tutor

Excellent idea! Offer choice of pre-recorded warnings we can set to play when motion is detected! I guess you could let us record our own "greeting" lol -- but I'd prefer a tough sounding or robotic voice. "No trespassing. Police have been called." Maybe a less threatening "Residents only please" if you live on a multifamily, where you might pick up neighbors instead of a thief. 

Smithrider
Novice
I have a product suggestion after catching a prowler on my arlo camera at my house while I was away. If you allowed me to prerecord a message that would play through the arlo camera when motion is detected at prescribed hours, it may scare off would be robbers. For instance, I could record “I just called the sheriff” in my voice and have it actived by motion on a particular camera from 10pm to 5am. Also, allow a sequence of three or four so if they set it off a couple times in a time window so it’s not redundant. For example, second recording could be “”they will be here in less than two minutes” etc. Just a product thought.
ruairiau
Novice

I'd like to see an option to play a recorded message or pick at random from a list. Am I the only one who would love to have some Portal 2 turret voice lines play??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQB9yv5n80

SKK
Guide
Guide

Great idea.. Also, an extension of this would be to have an option on the iPhone notification just like when we get a call = "I'll be there in a min", "Please leave the items on the door", "Custom message". So I can select the message to play and it would play via the camera

BrianTurner
Follower
Like the idea, but I would rather not attract attention to the actual camera, these things would be pretty easy to steal themselves. But if you could play the sound of a door opening or dog barking or something that might help
eokerholm
Follower

Great idea. I don't want to draw attention to the speaker, but Arlo you could have another product here. Wireless speaker..... to play a sound.  I would like an option from the App to play sound vs connect live and then try to speak after they've left. A button to play a recording or message would be faster to deploy and effective. 

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration

qayotee
Follower

This is a great idea since you can't sit at the office talking to intruders. Would be great with some decent prerecorded messages but also sounds. I would relly like to make a barking sound or something to scare of cats in the neighbourhood. But that means Arlo would also have to implement so that if Arlo Smart detects an "Animal" then make barking noise because I do not want to bark at people. Should be able to configure sound by time in seconds or number of times it should repeat. Should also be able to configure which cameras that should play sounds.

jonhughes
Fledgling
Agreed - by the time the system has registered I am trying to speak the culprits have typically disappeared - a recorded message triggered when it detects people from 1) you are being recorded through to 10) The police have been notified and are on their way would be a great addition!