Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
joemacd
Novice

I agree. Was just about to post a simlar suggestion. Many apps in Android allow the user to choose a unique notification sound, so Arlo would be doing nothing extraordinary here.

ssanchez
Guide

Add my voice to the above. Usually, there is a way to select which sound file you want to use for different callers, to identify when a particular email arrives, etc. we definitely need to be able to set a unique alert for when a camera's motion detection is activated. It would also be best if this could be set for individual cameras as certain cameras might be more urgent that others.

Finally, it would be helpful if the alerts could be set according to a schedule and easily activated or suspended with a single slide switch. For example, I may want to have an interior camera active when sleeping but not active during certain daytime hours. Or I may want round the clock motion detection when away on vacation but only active on a particular schedule while Home. Also, a "master switch" could help if I quickly want to suspend alerts on everything, or turn everything on all at once. 

Ive been looking for something like this for a long time and am happy Nethear, who makes great equipment, has gotten into this. It is a logical extension to their home networking products.

Buckeyebulldog
Aspirant

This has been posted MANY times. I myself have posted a whIle ago. It is annoying that Arlo can create a Santa hat on my arlo icon on my home screen, but the notifications issue continues to be ignored. Still love my cameras though.

j0hn33y
Novice

This product is great for about 5 min... Then I was really disapointed by lack of standard features one would expect for this kind of product.

1. No local storage. I wrongly assumed that was a function of the base station.

2. No Local straming. This thing is really laggy and with data caps creeping in seems really wastefull to have to send the data out to the cloud and back to watch.

3. No network configuration of the device. Broadcasting the SSID to say come steal my cameras.

These are shortcommings after just the first hour of use. I understand the subscription model Netgear wants users paying into but if thats the only option this kit is way over priced.

Naturecannon
Follower

Since Arlo dont listen to its customers and considering we just had major app and firmware released today........and still no option..............I found an android app verified working to change the motion notification sound. Its free too 🙂

MEGA SOUND 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ws.stefma.soundcontroll

ncsuee
Fledgling

Can anyone figure out a way around this on the apple?  I too was dissappointed that this feature was not added in the update.  Apparently Arlo does not read these messages.   Seems to be the most requested add-on feature.  My cars were hit just last night and I slept right through the alert.  Actually I think I heard it but assumed CNN had a news flash and didn't check it.  We HAVE to be able to distinguish the alert from this security device from all other sounds or it is not a security device. 

chloe64
Novice
How soon before this option will be available? It makes perfect sense for it to be different from other notifications!
Ashleymmc
Novice
Does the custom alert still not exist? After almost an entire year?
AHMNJ
Initiate

Any chance for an answer from Netgear on this?  Not being able to select a specific notification tone is really a problem.  I can still take it back to Best Buy this week?!  I really don't want to, but there are some real quirks.  This, plus the fact that while it notifies me when the sun is shifting the shadows on our driveway, it doesn't notice an SUV driving up on the driveway if it's further than 20 feet away.

It's close, but is it good enough?

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Future Consideration