Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR

The Arlo Community

Learn, explore, ask questions, and connect with our community of customers and experts.

Top Contributors

Fix the alarm location in the mobile app

I cannot believe the stupidity in hiding the alarm icon in the app under what looks like a grey scroll bar just under the logo. When a user needs to initiate the alarm the LAST thing they're looking for is a grey scroll bar symbol.

This design doesn't adhere to any normal UI principles and can lead to catastrophic consquences. 

I've never been a fan of the Arlo software designs but this is on a whole new level of dumb. 

You could easily add an alarm symbol in the corner of the header bar in the app. Please fix this immediately!

3 Comments
Novice

I came here in search of where they hid the alarm button.  This morning the building was having a smoke detector test and all the fire alarms were lighting off so it was the perfect time to test.  But I couldn't find where Arlo had hid the alarm and neither could 2 other people that checked their app.

I definitely like how they've made it much less susceptible to accidental activiation, but agree there's got to be a better way.  At least put the infromation in the app's help or make it obvious when you go to support.  To have to hunt for this information was frustrating as heck.

Novice

I could find the alarm , when needed , guess what i could not set it off when i had an intruder , 

@itsjess wrote:

I cannot believe the stupidity in hiding the alarm icon in the app under what looks like a grey scroll bar just under the logo. When a user needs to initiate the alarm the LAST thing they're looking for is a grey scroll bar symbol.

This design doesn't adhere to any normal UI principles and can lead to catastrophic consquences. 

I've never been a fan of the Arlo software designs but this is on a whole new level of dumb. 

You could easily add an alarm symbol in the corner of the header bar in the app. Please fix this immediately!

Initiate
What's worse...is this "drag down alarm" panel is ONLY visible in the "Devices" tab., not the "Mode" or "Lilbrary" - so as a security alarm feature it isn't accessible in all areas of the app. And, as a security feature, it should be easily accessible, everywhere. In my opinion, where it should exist is on the "top bar" of the application. The "top bar" contains the "Arlo logo" in the upper left, and the "three dots" (Settings/log out) in the upper right. To match the web interface there should be a "Blue Bell" right next to the "three dots" in the application. THAT is where the alarm trigger should go.