Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Live view from USB local storage?

I would like to see the option of either using the cloud or local USB drive for storage and also a software application to run on a desktop computer for viewing local storage and live view. There are three things that would enhance the performance of the Arlo Pro cameras by using local storage.

1. Using local storage would eliminate the time lag.
  2. Using local storage would allow 24/7 live viewing when powered directly from mains without an Internet connection.
  3. A software application to run on Desktop would also eliminate the Internet connection and allow live or recorded video to be viewed at anytime.

I have had a DVR for many years and have found local storage a much better option for 24/7 viewing and recording. The cloud is fine for backup recording but due to time lag delay not good for motion detection.

I am hoping the NETGEAR Arlo Pro could help us users that require 24/7 viewing. If that were available without timing out there would be a lot more customers buying the system.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Mwhited17522
Follower

Is there a way to see live cameras from a TV monitor using the USB port?

ronnyek
Fledgling

Arlo motion detection alerts are almost instantaneous, so clearly some portions of video stream are optimized and processing data, but as sooo many other people have pointed out, if you are watching a live stream (especially with 4k) the video is sometimes as much as 10 seconds lagged behind events happening at the house.

That delay really prevents the two way audio, or flipping on the light somewhat pointless, as the person could be well gone. Seems like if there was some local network storage / streaming, we may be able to avoid the time it takes to go all the way up to arlo servers, and then back down ot our devices.

DP-Arlo
Aspirant

I am reading several posts where there is a high interest in  being able to view their USB external storage locally than having to unplug from the BASE Station and plug into a computer. 

I suggest tagging the videos on the external USB drive and developing an app where you have the option to view locally or via the cloud.

By the way... I really like my setup.  I did have to run power to all my cams, but I felt it was worth it.