Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Custom alert sounds for Android/iOS

Really need to customize the notification sound.  For instance, I want to be alerted to motion on some cameras while sleeping, but the notification sound is not enough to do that because it is too brief and I just sleep right through it.  Would be nice to select an mp3, or at least provide some more aggressive options for alerts.  Perhaps even per camera custom sounds, as one can do with ringtones for different contacts.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

Are you signed in on the iPad? To receive push notifications, you must be signed in to the app on the device you wish to receive the notifications.

JamesC

smv
Onlooker
Onlooker

With multiple cameras, some more active than others and some more critical than others, it would be VERY nice if the app allowed for different notification sounds for the various cameras. I have one camera that gets a lot of "action" but is extremely low on the critical scale. On the other hand, I have a camera that sees very little "action" but when it does, I want to know about it immediately. Being forced to use a single notification sound for both of these cameras very much reduces the effectiveness of the notifications in a "Little boy who cried Wolf!" sort of way.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

vibaka
Initiate

Any update on this support of "custom sound notifcation on iphone"  from netgear?

it should be fairly easy thing to do

Bionix
Novice

This is ridiculous - 36 million iPhones were sold vs 15 million Android in 2016, yet the notification sound fix is available for Android users...! I know Apple is a pain in the *ss for approving apps but this is beyond ridiculous! I can’t distinguish my sports scores from someone breaking into my house! Get it fixed - we pay a premium for the system and it’s needs better functionality!

mxray
Novice

In March, DawnM from Netgear said this was coming soon for IOS/iPhone.  It has been more than six months.  What is your definition of “soon?”

BruceAlmighty
Onlooker

Netgear has NO plans to fix this design flaw. Below is a reply from Netgear to my recent question on this;

"Re: iPhone custom alerts
Not at this time. As improvements are made, the status of Ideas in the Idea Exchange will be updated to reflect their status with engineering or implementation.

JamesC"

The Arlo system has been reduced to a novelty in our house rather than the security alert we hoped for because of this oversight.

Boooo!!!!

StaticCrusher
Aspirant

Here is a work around for alert sounds using iOS devices that will actually give you a different tone with iOS and it seems to work with a very short delay as long as you have push ability from your email provider and automatic fetch set on your device...

Step 1: enter the email address your mobile recieves in the Arlo ap. Enable email notification in your Arlo Ap.

Step 2: Create a contact in your iPhone contacts such as 'Home Alarm' or 'Office Alarm' (whatever you want to name your system), and enter alerts@alro.com as their email address.

Step 3: Go to VIP in your iPhone mail application. (Try Settings/Mail/Notifications. There should be a 'VIP' selection at the bottom). change the sound to something unique, louder, longer, for VIP email alerts.

Step 4: Add your contact you created in step 2 as a VIP contact in your mail application. Open your mail applicaton and there should be a VIP selection where you can add VIP contacts from your contact list. (You can also turn on 'Emergency Bypass' to be alerted even if the phone is set to silent.

You're done....

So.... if motion is detected, alerts@arlo.com will email you, your phone will receive the email, but will play the VIP notification sound rather than the default sound used by your other ap notifications.

This worked decently for me. I'd still like to see a cusomizable sound within the ap. (Other iOS aps have custom notification sounds, I'm not sure why it's taking NETGEAR so long to get this working.)

This solution was originally posted in November of 2016 by PasoWino, but probably lost in the numerous requests for a solution from NETGEAR.

Hope this helps you; thanks PasoWino!

asmadking
Initiate

Notifications should provide greater customization than even was provided for in the update previously mentioned.  It's not enough to have a quiet little notification that doesn't repeat or anything. Sometimes I like it, such as when I am awake and at home and just want to know when someone is approaching the door. Other times, like at night, I DON'T want the siren to sound and deafen my family, but I need stronger, more repetitive alerts. We need an option for a stronger notification. Just as a user can customize what each camera does on custom modes, we need to be able to not only choose "push notifications" and "email notification" but have a third option for a stronger, repeated, more urgent sounding notification than what comes standard with android phones.

asmadking
Initiate

I would argue that this should go a step further, that notifications should provide greater customization depending on mode. It's sometimes not enough to have a quiet little single notification. Sometimes I like it, such as when I am awake and at home and just want to know when someone is approaching the door. Other times, like at night, I DON'T want the siren to sound and deafen my family, but I need stronger, more repetitive alerts. We need an option for a stronger notification. Just as a user can customize what each camera does on custom modes, we need to be able to not only choose "push notifications" and "email notification" but have a third option for a stronger, repeated, more urgent sounding push notification than what comes standard with android phones. This goes along with what the original poster was saying, but is customizable within each mode as well. Essentially, it's a second push notification option that is needed.