Arlo Q FAQs

Arlo Q FAQs

This article applies to:

Is it easy to add an Arlo Q camera to my Arlo Wire-Free camera system?

Yes. Just log in to your Arlo account, tap the + icon or click Add Device, and follow the instructions. 

How is the Arlo Q picture and audio quality?

Arlo Q delivers video in 1080p HD. It also comes with two-way audio so that you can both listen and talk back and forth. 

How are Arlo Q cameras different from Arlo Wire-Free cameras?

Arlo Wire-Free cameras are weatherproof and battery powered. You can use Arlo Wire-Free cameras both indoors and outdoors. 

Arlo Q cameras are AC powered and work best indoors. For more information, see Arlo Wire-Free compared to Arlo Q

Do Arlo Q cameras record 24/7?

Yes. To enable Arlo Q cameras to record 24/7, use the Arlo app to add the Continuous Video Recording plan to your Arlo Q camera. For more information, see What is continuous video recording and how do I get it?

What is the best camera to use indoors or outdoors?

Arlo Wire-Free cameras are weatherproof and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Arlo Q cameras deliver the best experience indoors.   

When do I need a base station?

You need a base station to connect Arlo Wire-Free cameras. You don't need a base station with Arlo Q cameras. Arlo Q cameras connect directly to your Wi-Fi router. 

What are the wireless frequencies used by Arlo Q cameras?

Arlo Q cameras use 2.4GHz and 5GHz. 

What is the maximum video resolution of Arlo Q cameras?

View Arlo Q cameras in HD with a crystal clear resolution of 1080p. 

How far can I place my Arlo Q camera from my router?

Place your Arlo camera within 300 feet of your Wi-Fi router. This distance can vary depending on obstacles such as concrete or stucco walls, metallic barriers, or Wi-Fi interference.  

How well does motion detection work on Arlo Q cameras?

Arlo Q cameras can detect motion from as far as 50 feet away. In addition, you can create up to three motion detection zones so that motion in detected in specific areas within the camera frame. 

How much of my internet connection's bandwidth does Arlo Q video streaming use?

Arlo Q cameras use the following bandwidth when they are streaming:

• 1080P = 1500 kbps
  • 720P = 700 kbps
  • 480P = 300kbps
  • 360P = 200kbps
  • 240P = 100kbps

However, when you are not logged in or when the camera does not detect motion, bandwidth is reduced to about 100 kbps at 1080P. 

Do Arlo Q cameras have audio capability?

Yes. Arlo Q cameras let you listen or speak to who or what is being viewed on the camera. Arlo Q cameras employ half-duplex transmission and work similarly to walkie-talkies. 

Do I need batteries for my Arlo Q camera?

No. Arlo Q cameras are powered cameras. You need to plug the camera into an electrical outlet and connect it to your Wi-Fi router. 

Can I use a phone USB cable or power adapter to operate my Arlo Q camera?

We recommend that you use the USB cable and power adapter that came with your Arlo Q camera. Different USB cables or power adaptors might not be able to provide stable or enough power to Arlo Q. 

What's in the Arlo Q box?

Arlo Q camera boxes include the following:

• 1 1080p HD Security camera (VMC3040)
  • 1 Power adapter and cable
  • 1 Wall mount plate
  • 4 Mounting screws
  • 1 Arlo window decal
  • 1 Quick start guide

Last Updated:06/02/2021 | Article ID: 1005044

Was this article helpful?

image description Yes image description No

Arlo Community

Learn from other Arlo users like you and experts that are offering up best practices and answering some common questions. Get involved and suggest your own topics to discuss as well.

Ask the Community

Contact Us

Have additional questions? Try our live chat or give us a call. Our team of Arlo experts is ready to answer your questions and help in any way that we can.

Contact Support