How do I update my Arlo firmware manually?

5 people found this helpful in last 30 days

How do I update my Arlo firmware manually?

This article is for the Arlo Secure App experience with Library. If you have the Arlo Secure App experience with Feed, please visit: How do I update my Arlo firmware manually?

Firmware updates are released automatically to all connected Arlo devices. Automatic updates happen between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. to minimize camera downtime. You can wait until the update happens automatically, or you can update your firmware manually. During firmware updates, your camera will continue to detect motion and sound, and your camera still records based on the currently selected mode.

To update your Arlo device firmware manually:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App or log in to my.arlo.com.
  2. Tap or click Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select the device that you want to update.
  4. Tap or click Device Info > Firmware > Update.
    WARNING: Do not open the battery door or remove the battery while an Arlo camera is updating and installing firmware.
  5. Wait for the camera firmware update to complete.
    While the firmware is downloading, the LED on the camera blinks alternating blue and amber. After this, the camera's LED turns off for about one to two minutes while the camera installs the firmware. After the camera firmware update finishes, the camera syncs to the SmartHub or Base Station again and the LED blinks blue rapidly
    Note: For Arlo Q, Q Plus, Go and Go 2, the camera's LED blinks amber and blue while the firmware is downloading and installing. After the firmware is installed, the camera reboots and the LED is off. When the LED lights again and the pattern stops changing, your camera is available to stream.
    Note: If you turn off your Arlo Go camera's LED in the camera settings, the LED does not blink to show that a firmware update is in progress. While the LED is turned off, always make sure that you can view your camera live from the Arlo Secure app or a web browser before interrupting power to the camera. If you remove the battery or otherwise interrupt power while a firmware update is in progress, your camera might become unusable.

To update your Arlo SmartHub or Base Station firmware manually:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App or log in to my.arlo.com.
  2. Tap or click Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select your SmartHub or Base Station.
  4. Tap or click Device Info > Firmware > Update.
    WARNING: Do not turn off your SmartHub or Base Station while the firmware update is in progress.
  5. Wait for the Arlo SmartHub or Base Station firmware update to complete.
    The Arlo SmartHub LED pattern is alternating blue and amber like most cameras. When the SmartHub is back online and LED light is showing solid blue, the firmware update is complete. The Arlo Base Station LED blinks green while the firmware is downloading and installing. After the firmware is installed, the Base Station reboots and the Power LED lights amber. When the Power and Internet LEDs light solid green, the firmware update is complete.

Do not turn off or disconnect your Arlo device while a firmware update is in progress. Wait for your Arlo cameras to be viewable in your Devices feed before powering off or disconnecting any of your Arlo devices.

For more information on SmartHub or Base Station LED patterns, visit: What do the LEDs on my Arlo SmartHub or Base Station mean?

For more information about camera firmware updates, visit: What do I need to know about Arlo camera firmware updates?

Note: Arlo firmware updates happen automatically as long as the device is connected to an Arlo SmartHub or Base Station, or Wi-Fi network, and has at least 15% battery charge prior to updating. 

For more information how to troubleshoot Firmware Update Error 4208, visit: How to troubleshoot Firmware Update Error 4208

Last Updated:11/29/2022 | Article ID: 4736

Was this article helpful?

image description Yes image description No

Arlo Community

Learn from other Arlo users like you and experts that are offering up best practices and answering some common questions. Get involved and suggest your own topics to discuss as well.

Ask the Community

Contact Us

Have additional questions? Try our live chat or give us a call. Our team of Arlo experts is ready to answer your questions and help in any way that we can.

Contact Support