Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android "Your session has expired. Please log in." error only when using fingerprint login

Discussion stats
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Sometime within the last 2 days, the fingerprint login within my Android Pixel app stopped working and always said "Your session has expired. Please log in." but only when using fingerprint login method.  If I entered username/password I was able to get in.  I tried rebooting the base station, force stopping the app on my phone, both did not work.  It took uninstalling the app entirely and re-installing it.  I know this is some sort of bug because my wife's phone is doing the exact same thing and started at the same time.  Has anyone else encountered this and if so, aware of any known issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent cloud update along with an update for the Android Arlo mobile app has been released that should resolve this issue. Please visit the app store and be sure you are up to date on the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App: Release Notes - Android App 2.4.10 - 26th March 2018

If you continue to experience this issue, please let us know.

JamesC

View solution in original post

166 REPLIES 166
Sindy44
Initiate
Initiate
Yes I am having the same problem. It started today! Finger print not working and having to log in every time.
ATC250R
Star
Star

Yup, same here.  Uninstalled the app and reinstalled it.  So far it is working again.

Jyad
Apprentice
Apprentice

1. message "Your session has expired" on both fingerprint and non fingerprint android devices. Have to log in each time I want to arm and disarm the system

2. After LOOOOOOONG CHAT WAIT FOR AN AGENT, got an agent who said  "Our engineers pushed an update on our Arlo server and this unexpected issue occurred."

3. Here is a great solution offered by the agent"  As of the moment, we don't have an ETA. Can you try to access the account using a PC?"

That is an awesome suggestion. Why did i not think of that?  I will just carry my laptop with me and log in, arm, log out, then log in again, disarm.  Amazing solution!!

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

Seems like something also changed with how long the app is allowed to remain in the background before it starts throwing the error and kicks you out.  I left it for over an hour and opened the app and it immediately had the yellow banner "Session expired and it repeatedly puts it on the screen, you can't get around it without clicking away and quickly clicking the 3 dots at the top right corner behind the banner and going to "Log out" so that it'll let you run your fingerprint again and let you in... very frustrating.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

You know what I also realized is that a new version of the app was updated on 3/14/2018 which was yesterday.  I bet they broke something in the new app version. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jyad wrote:

3. Here is a great solution offered by the agent"  As of the moment, we don't have an ETA. Can you try to access the account using a PC?"

That is an awesome suggestion. Why did i not think of that?  I will just carry my laptop with me and log in, arm, log out, then log in again, disarm.  Amazing solution!!

You can use a mobile browser, too. Either set the browser to use the desktop version or use the "Please take me to the Arlo web site now" link at the top of the page that tells you to get the app.

ATC250R
Star
Star

This is getting really old...thought I solved the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the app...Nope!  Now, once my session expires (?), it says that I must log in again, but there is no way to do so!  The only thing that I can do when that message crops up is close the app.  Re-opening it immediately goes to the same message!  AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!  I have to force stop the app, THEN open it and login.  AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!  

Netgear, STOP F-ING WITH IT!!!  I don't need my "session" to "expire" on my smartphone...no one can access it anyway since my phone requires my fingerprint to unlock the phone itself!  I don't want or need to login to my Arlo app every single time I want to check on my property!!!!!!  AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!  

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

@Jyadwrote:

"As of the moment, we don't have an ETA. Can you try to access the account using a PC?"

So, did they acknowledge there's an actual issue and are working on it, or did you sense they just didn't have an answer and just said that?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing an issue logging in, if using google Chrome try pasting this in your url bar and then click "Remove All":

chrome://settings/cookies/detail?site=arlo.netgear.com

If using Firefox, follow the instructions listed here: How to clear the Firefox cache

If using the mobile app, check the app store and be sure you have the latest version available downloaded and installed.

You should then be able to log in.

JamesC

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

This post isn't about login issues from a browser, this post is specifically about the Android mobile app (see subject line), something has changed with the app and started within the last couple days, which also coincides with the time the app updated to the newest version.  I don't see how suggesting making changes in the browser cache/cookies has anything to do with what we're talking about here.

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
Has this issue been resolved with the session logging off. My android mobile device is continually logging off and hard to log back in because if the banner and screen
sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary
No they haven't fixed it. They have a big problem that is making monitoring away from home via mobile near impossible, for Android at least.
Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the reply
maltstan
Tutor
Tutor
I'm having the same issue
maltstan
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue
brh
Master
Master

I don't think that has been fixed yet.

Brian

fr33t
Star
Star

I have the same problem since a few days on my cell-phone and on my tablet (both Samsung). I need to log in again all the time (seems indeed correlated with a new version of the application). It needs to be solved asap ! It makes the usage of the system very painful.

dhere
Tutor
Tutor

Every time i log in from my PC my Android app won't work, says login expired. I need to log in every time to check my cameras or change my mode. last time i changed my password and it seemed to work again. I guess i just can't log in from PC (OSX) .

What should i do to stay logged in on my android app?

Thx

Caty-did
Star
Star

I set up a brand new Arlo camera system yesterday, and this same problem started late yesterday evening. I am running the app on two Samsung S7s running Android 7.0; also on a Samsung Tab4. The tablet seems fine, but the session on the phones arbitrarily expire.

I am able to sign back in by tapping on logout (more than once because of the error banner - you have to time your taps). Then sign back in using either finger print or password. 

My phone stays signed in for varying lengths of time. Of course when my camera was triggered last night, it was nerve wracking to not be able to view the video right away ;(

prymtym99
Tutor
Tutor

Ditto.  Ever since the update a few days ago, same thing on the app.  Reinstalled app and reboot of system hasn't done anything for me yet....  and i'm not logged into the web version, either.

beckyg116
Aspirant
Aspirant

He did suggest to update the mobile app though at the very bottom, which is what fixed it for my Android. Per this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Arlo-Android-Keeps-Logging-Off/m-p/1525602

Make sure you have version 2.4.9_20031. It's working for me again.

@sangwinacherwrote:

This post isn't about login issues from a browser, this post is specifically about the Android mobile app (see subject line), something has changed with the app and started within the last couple days, which also coincides with the time the app updated to the newest version.  I don't see how suggesting making changes in the browser cache/cookies has anything to do with what we're talking about here.

sangwinacher
Luminary
Luminary

I've been running on the latest version for a few days now, which is when the problems started.

beckyg116
Aspirant
Aspirant

My problems starting with version 19928 (or something similar to that updated around March 9th) but were fixed with 20031 updated 3/14. The activity zone issue giving an error each time also was fixed with this update. I have a Samsung S6 Active Android version 7.0. Guess some users will just have to keep waiting for more updates, good luck!

Rdg2428
Guide
Guide
Removed the app even though I was on the most current version and it still times out causing me to reboot each time