Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How Do I Use The Arlo Pro 2 Six Camera Setup

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Samin3444
Aspirant
Aspirant

I currently have an Arlo Pro 1, which came in a bundle of 6 cameras. I want to switch to an Arlo Pro 2 setup and we only have bundles of 4 in the store. Can I buy a 4 camera bundle, and 2 additional Pro2 cameras and use them the way I use my 6 camera bundle under a "Basic-free" cloud storage?

I ask because some say that after 5 cameras, I will have to pay a monthly fee to record the videos for the Pro2 setups. Currenlty, my 6 camera Pro1 bundle does not requre any additional fee and I can record all 6 through the cloud. 

32 REPLIES 32
Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

You can use 6 cameras on the free plan in the US.

I currently have 4 Pro 2 cameras and 2 Q cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Let's clarify this since you're right and you're wrong.

The free basic plan allows up to FIVE cameras with no charge.  Adding a new 6th camera is an issue.

Purchase of a specific 6 camera kit designed by Netgear (not something added by a reseller) has a code that is used during installation to allow all 6 to be used on the free plan.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Samin3444 wrote:

I currently have an Arlo Pro 1, which came in a bundle of 6 cameras. I want to switch to an Arlo Pro 2 setup and we only have bundles of 4 in the store. Can I buy a 4 camera bundle, and 2 additional Pro2 cameras and use them the way I use my 6 camera bundle under a "Basic-free" cloud storage?

I ask because some say that after 5 cameras, I will have to pay a monthly fee to record the videos for the Pro2 setups. Currenlty, my 6 camera Pro1 bundle does not requre any additional fee and I can record all 6 through the cloud. 

The answer to your question is YES. Since you already have activated the 6 cam bundle on your account the 6 cam license stays with the account regardless of base station swap.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

djdannis,

This is incorrect.

The 6 camera kits are based on a special SKU that allows the 6th camera to be viewed on the free basic plan that would normally allow only 5 cameras.

Only the devices that come in that special kit can take advantage of this special plan.

If you swap to an Arlo Pro 2 kit that does not contain this special SKU, a subscription plan will be required to view past 5 cameras.

JamesC

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

djdannis,

This is incorrect.

The 6 camera kits are based on a special SKU that allows the 6th camera to be viewed on the free basic plan that would normally allow only 5 cameras.

Only the devices that come in that special kit can take advantage of this special plan.

If you swap to an Arlo Pro 2 kit that does not contain this special SKU, a subscription plan will be required to view past 5 cameras.

JamesC

Oh, interesting... Thanks for the insight James. When I switched to Pro 2, it said I'm still able to activate up to 6 cams, but I haven't tried enabling that 6th camera yet... That's not cool.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Not cool"?  Why? It's exactly as advertised.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

Show me where it says for the 6 cam kit that it is free only for the 6 cams that came with the kit. Hence swapping to 6 Pro 2s wouldn't work.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat Please advise...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Re-read this thread. The info is explicitly stated right here from JamesC.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

Re-read this thread. The info is explicitly stated right here from JamesC.

@jguerdat You haven't answered my question based upon your comment to me... Where is it "exactly as advertised" to a typical consumer who buys the package and doesn't dig through these forums? Please provide the documentation. As a superuser guru, I fully expect you to have this information researched and readily available when you make such a claim.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

djdannis,

All kits are advertised to include the free basic plan for up to 5 cameras. The 6 camera kits, as mentioned, are the only exception to this rule.

I'll escalate to marketing to see if I can provide documentation on this, jguerdat wouldn't have this information.

JamesC

Brotham
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had no idea that support for 6 cameras was limited to specific SKUs only.

I guess I was lucky that I purchased a 6 camera kit, which activated it for my account.

Everything I read seemed to suggest that 6 cameras were supported for US customers.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

djdannis,

All kits are advertised to include the free basic plan for up to 5 cameras. The 6 camera kits, as mentioned, are the only exception to this rule.

I'll escalate to marketing to see if I can provide documentation on this, jguerdat wouldn't have this information.

JamesC

James,

Correct, all we are discussing here is the 6 camera kit. I have two 6 camera kits that are now running the Arlo Pro 2s... So why is a superuser questioning my comment that it isn't cool to pay for a 6 camera kit with Arlo Pros then swap the 6 Arlo Pros out with 6 Arlo Pro 2s?? That's over $4500 in equipment total so yes, not cool if you can't use 6 Arlo Pro 2s with the original 6 free camera base station account. My understanding from testing is that the 6 camera base station contains the key to unlock the 6 free cam account license. I've tested this against a 5 camera system base station. Once you activate a 5 cam system on an account, even by deleting the 5 camera base station and adding in the 6 camera base station the plan doesn't upgrade. You have to start your account with the 6 camera base station to get the 6 cameras for free...

Now what I think I've learned from your comments James is that I cannot go home and add the 6th Arlo Pro 2 camera to my 6 free camera license account because as you stated: "Only the devices that come in that special kit can take advantage of this special plan." I'm going to try this tonight and report back on this thread...

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC @jguerdat I have confirmed through testing that I am 100% correct in my original answer to this topic. You can in fact swap all 6 Arlo Pro cams out for Arlo Pro 2s. In addition to that, you can even use the original 5 cam base station that came with the Arlo Pro 2 kit on an account that originally had a 6 cam base station... I deleted every single base station and device and  then added the 5 cam base station.  The free 6 cams stuck. As I stated originally, when the 6 cam kit base station code activates the free 6 cams it marries that license to the account. @Samin3444 you are good to go.

@JamesC @jguerdat Next time before you publicly jump on someone like you did today saying they are incorrect and questioning why they made a certain comment, be sure to have fully researched  the topic and have your facts straight. Especially as superusers I expect that you know the products  inside and out to give customers the correct information. I'm not even a "superuser guru" and I know more about these products than you both combined. Disappointed...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Jump on you? You ain't seen me jump.

You apparently are the first to have swapped cameras around on a 6 camera SKU. That means you're the guinea pig.  You can feel slighted all you want - it changes nothing other than that you've apparently found a loophole.

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not slighted in the least. However if you're going to poke at someone, which you did, be wise and properly prepared. This is a community. I want to give support as much as you do... However, I make triple sure what I say is correct for the benefit of the community. Even if that means taking my own time to test different scenarios.

I still don't know what "as advertised" information your response was based off from, especially if James said you wouldn't have the access to that information. If you don't have the access then how is a general consumer going to know??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

djdannis wrote:

I still don't know what "as advertised" information your response was based off from, especially if James said you wouldn't have the access to that information. If you don't have the access then how is a general consumer going to know??

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-...

and

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-6-Camera-Setup/m-p/1406194#M1113

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice

djdannis wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

Show me where it says for the 6 cam kit that it is free only for the 6 cams that came with the kit. Hence swapping to 6 Pro 2s wouldn't work.

You still haven't answered my request above or the OP's question. I asked for a simple answer over 12 hours ago and am  still waiting. If this was "as advertised" you should have had it in my face in minutes... Please re-read above and respond with the publicly advertised supporting material that verifies your comment to me. Nothing just written by Netgear in the past 12  hours in response to this thread or tucked away somewhere online because that's not "as advertised" to a general consumer. As a superuser you have a responsibility and Im holding you accountable for that since you posted a totally knee jerk unresearched comment towards me in an attempt to make me look like an idiot for not reading what was advertised.  All I'm trying to do is verify what you said is true. None of the literature you referenced says it only works with the 6 cams that came with the 6 cam kit... Only says if you buy the 6 cam package model number it gives you 6 cams for free. That means any 6 cams guys and that's been proven... Not rocket science here. Also, there is no mention of the Pro 2 in that KB link. Old material.

@jguerdat How many Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cams and base stations do you own?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

/done

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice
/pwned
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let's focus on the topic here. There is very clearly some confusion surrounding this particular kit. I don't think anyone's intention here was to make anyone look bad.

In the past these 6 camera kits have been special and required the equipment included in the kit to unlock the 6 camera allowance on the free 5 camera plan.

I apologize for any misinformation presented and as mentioned I've escalated this topic for clarification.

JamesC

djdannis
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks James. Just seeking solid information based on facts and not assumptions...
Tplyler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: VMS4630P

I previously had the Arlo Pro 2 4 camera system and added a 5th camera.  I returned everything and purchased the 6 camera system.  

It will only sync 5 cameras.  I tried removing the app and downloaded it to my phone again, then removed the base station from the app and re-added it.  Nothing seems to work.

Please help!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue seems to be the use of an existing account, as I understand it. You certainl need to use the proper model number/SKU to get all 6 cameras on the account without the need to upgrade your subscription but I think I remember that you may need to use a new account with a second email address to get it set up properly as it seems that an existing account disqualifies your attempts. I'm not 100% sure of that so make sure you have no devices in Settings, My Devices and try again with the proper model/SKU to see if you can make it work before using a second account.

Discussion stats
  • 32 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation