Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 - multiple camera set up

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
allen-uk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought this would be a simple question, but the more I investigate, the less simple it becomes!

I want to install three (maybe four) Arlo cameras, outside, wired. (Wifi would do, as long as it's reliable. None of the cameras would be more than 10 metres from the base).

I want to run them through my Apple Mac (unlike most of the UK, I don't have/want a 'smart' phone!).

I want to know how this would work, and whether I can set up a cloud-based storage plan (just 7 days at a time would do).

I haven't got enough spare ports on my Mac or Router to have each camera going in separately, so is there some sort of purpose-built hub that Arlo supply?

Are Arlo Pro cameras the right ones for this set-up, and if not, can you recommend a different one?

Thanks very much.

(PS the 'Model' above is not right, but the daft website wouldn't let me post without saying something!)

Allen, London.

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I want to install three (maybe four) Arlo cameras, outside, wired. (Wifi would do, as long as it's reliable. None of the cameras would be more than 10 metres from the base).

All Arlo cameras are wifi ( except the Q Plus which has the option of ethernet (with POE if you have it ) but the Q cams are indoor rated only) The Cameras have a max range of 300ft as does normal wifi but be advised that walls, metal duc work, rebar in walls, etc can limit the range to a lot lower... My max range to a cam is at 100ft but there is no obstructions ( 1 stick built home wall )... I have seen some walls the limit range to 15 ft at times.

Base your situation on wifi signal where you want to put the cameras to a central location where the base ( see below) would be ( normally near your router ).

I want to run them through my Apple Mac (unlike most of the UK, I don't have/want a 'smart' phone!).

You can acess the Arlo cameras thru a browser to the web site at  https://arlo.netgear.com/  ( safari is default  IIRR ) and works with chrome, firefox

Or as you know android/ios apps

I want to know how this would work, and whether I can set up a cloud-based storage plan (just 7 days at a time would do).

7 days of free rolling storage in the cloud is the Basic level ( on day 8 , day 1 is auto deleted, etc ) But you can d/l and save any videos you want to your local computer.

I haven't got enough spare ports on my Mac or Router to have each camera going in separately, so is there some sort of purpose-built hub that Arlo supply?

The Arlo, Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro2 all only connect to a BASE unit that REQUIRES one ethernet port on the router, the Q cams, the Arlo Baby hook directly into your home wifi

Are Arlo Pro cameras the right ones for this set-up, and if not, can you recommend a different one?

That is totally up to you...
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
The arlopro comes with a base station the cameras connect wirelessly to the base station or hub as you call it .The Base station connects to your router. And yes you can use your computer to view the cameras or a smartphone or both
allen-uk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Tom, Johnny. Pretty much covers it all. I'll ponder, and might come back - but many thanks, as what you've given me is enough information so that when the Man comes round and starts yapping, I can say well "I want this, this and this... can you do it for me?" rather than getting pushed into a system I neither want nor need.

Just one supplementary... do Arlo sell a system, i.e. several cameras plus base station plus 7-day recording? Or do we have to get all the various components ourselves?

Thanks.

Allen.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Arlopro is sold as a kit base station and Camera or base station and cameras
allen-uk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again Johnny... as it happens the local Crime Prevention office recommend local cctv installers, and as I said above, I'm getting information together so that I can tell the guy what we want, rather than having to settle for what he wants to install!

So all your help is really useful.

Allen.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation