Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 power cables

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Jalpa_Mike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought the Pro 2 (4 Camera) setup.   Turns out most of my cameras are very close by to plug into an AC outlet.

My question is twofold:

1.   Can the adapter and cable that came with the set be used as an AC adapter to power the camera or is it exclusively for charging the batteries,  and cannot be used as a proper AC adapter for the camera? 

2.   Since I just discovered that Arlo has recalled their AC adapters, is there an alternative available?  Such as the Wasserstein adapters from Amazon?  Also,  when you are running your cameras on AC power should you leave the battery in the camera? Or take it out?

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1)  No ... the ac adapter that was included can charge AND/OR run the camera...matter of fact , you can pull the battery out and just use the ac adapter to run the camera if wanted ( or leave the battery in , it will not overcharge )

2) Only the outdoor rated ac adapter was recalled... Not sure if using 3rd party equipment with the camera Netgear would warranty same should a problem develop. ( other part answered above )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1)  No ... the ac adapter that was included can charge AND/OR run the camera...matter of fact , you can pull the battery out and just use the ac adapter to run the camera if wanted ( or leave the battery in , it will not overcharge )

2) Only the outdoor rated ac adapter was recalled... Not sure if using 3rd party equipment with the camera Netgear would warranty same should a problem develop. ( other part answered above )

Morse is faster than texting!
brh
Master
Master

@Jalpa_Mike

I am currently powering one of my Pro cameras using the supplied power adapter and cord, although currently I have it mounted indoors.

The Wasserstein cables are not recommended and if you have problems with them, they will definately void your waranty. If you check the reviews om Amazon, you will find some people that have been using them successfully, although you will find about the same number of people that have had troubles with them. I definitely would never use them outdoors.

I don't know why it is taking so long for Arlo to replace the outdoor power adapter and why we are getting no word from them on how the progress is going.

As far as using the battery while plugged into AC power is a personal choice, (you do not need the battery inserted when plugged in), you would get extended monitoring/recording time if, say, a drunk knocked out the power to your house in the middle of the night, but your internet modem/router and base station would neeed to have back up power, such as a UPS backup, in order to use the cameras.

Brian

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Amazon Pangda

Pangda 20 ft Weatherproof Cable for Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, Aluminium Alloy Micro USB Cable, 1 Pack (White) been using this for months Outdoors storm after storm no problems cameras outside Chargers inside
brh
Master
Master

@Jalpa_Mike

Again, read all the Amazon Reviewa and use at your own risk.

Brian

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
We always use things at are own risk. Also always read reviews at your own risk because a lot of them are fake
Jalpa_Mike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much everyone!  Great forum!  

Mike

brh
Master
Master

Hi @Johnny290,

I am not advocating for or against using these cables. What I did want to make the OP aware of is that Arlo will not approve of the use of these cables. I find that many people are confused, especially with Wasserstein's marketing wording, that their cables and accessories are Arlo approved. I believe the cables you mention are built better than the Wasserstein cables.

In my case, my outside cameras are mounted under the eaves of my house and, thus out of the weather. They are connected to Arlo solar panels. For both added protection against the elements and to make the cameras more difficult to remove, especially by hitting them with a long stick, I made some simple enclosures out of cheap plastic electrical junction boxes. You can find my suggestion and pictures in the Idea Exchange, under Plastic Mount for Security if you are interested.

Brian

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I understand your point I was a little bit harsh in my response I apologize
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation