Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
Thatchfly
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have installed 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras around my house and they are great. I would love to start using the motion zones and 24 hour recordng but I am having trouble suppling power to all the cameras. I have a power supply in my attic but will need 20'-50' power supply cables to power them. Anyone know where I can find the supply cables?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do a web search for 50 ft USB extension cables... There are plenty.

Male into the adapter, original cable to the female end.

Problem I see tho may be a voltage drop over the long distance....but that's a trial and error ( if you can't/ don't have outlets ).   May not work.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Thatchfly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Google is where I started, I cannot find anything with the mini/micro usb for the camera end. I will keep searching just hoping some had done some trial and error and I could tap into that knowledge!

DFlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have found both 16 and 20 feet cables on amazon
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thatchfly wrote:

Google is where I started, I cannot find anything with the mini/micro usb for the camera end. I will keep searching just hoping some had done some trial and error and I could tap into that knowledge!

As Tom was saying above......”plug one end into shorter original cable, which has the micro usb connection to camera”.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

The original micro-USB cable may be essential. There's a good chance that a standard micro-USB plug will not fit. I've tried when recharging the thing. Netgear seems to have produced its own design for the micro-USB end, probably to get a waterproof fit.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The biggest issue with long cables is the wire size so voltage drop is held to a minimum.  That's probably why long cables are hard to find, especially over ~20 feet. You may need to use a home extension cord to get the charger closer to the camera and then use a shorter USB cable.

Of course, if you're trying to do this for outdoors, all bets are off. A normal microUSB cable will fit fine but a weatherproof one needs sealing to prevent water infiltration which has caused meltdowns and even fire. Perhaps you need to provide details about what you're trying to achieve.

Thatchfly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, my Arlo Pro 2 only came with 1 cord for charging. Thank you for the info.

Thatchfly
Aspirant
Aspirant

The connection to the camera will be the only exposed connection, but yes it will need to be weatherproof.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thatchfly wrote:

I have installed 4 Arlo Pro 2 cameras around my house and they are great. I would love to start using the motion zones and 24 hour recordng but I am having trouble suppling power to all the cameras. I have a power supply in my attic but will need 20'-50' power supply cables to power them. Anyone know where I can find the supply cables?

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but couldn't you just run an normal 120V extension cord in the attic and then run the last few feet with an USB cable?  Or is the power supply a USB power supply hence the need for the long USB cords?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

doczenith1 wrote:

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but couldn't you just run an normal 120V extension cord in the attic and then run the last few feet with an USB cable?  Or is the power supply a USB power supply hence the need for the long USB cords?

Or even get a power outlet installed in the attic

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation