Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 why is the 3 second look back feature only available for indoor applications?

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
hop425
Guide
Guide

Read that this camera has an 3 second lookback feature but the information indicates it is only available when used indoors.  Why is this? How does the camera know when it is indoors vs. ourdoors anyway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimmyHLin
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo Pro 2 can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter. 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

hop425 wrote:

Read that this camera has an 3 second lookback feature but the information indicates it is only available when used indoors.  Why is this? How does the camera know when it is indoors vs. ourdoors anyway?

It has to do with the power ... when ac powered the extra options which would draw to much from a battery are turned on.

The 3 second feature is really the camera recording all the time and adding the 3 seconds to the front of a triggered event

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Meko923
Guide
Guide

My guess would be that to have the 3second look back feature, the camera must continuosly record and if it did that the battery would drain pretty quickly.

Would the solar pannel allow it to have this feature? 

hop425
Guide
Guide

That makes sense to say it is only available when plugged in but it sepecifically says "Available when plugged in and used indoors."  It says this for the Activity zones as well for some reason.

pro2.png

JimmyHLin
Arlo Employee Retired

Arlo Pro 2 can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter. 

hop425
Guide
Guide

So the only issue is that the power adapter is not supported for outdoor use.  On your websit you do show it in an outdoor configuration powered by a solar cell of some kind.  Is this a future product?  And would the "Indoor" wording in the documentation still apply?

pro2a.png

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear sells an Arlo Pro Outdoor Power Adapter so why in the heck couldn't the look back feature be used outdoors???

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

Agreed. What is the implications of using the Arlo outdoor charging cable to allow the look back feature? Can this be done? If not, why is it any different than the indoor charging cable?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The outdoor power supply allows the use of pixel-based detection, CVR, zones and the prebuffering, just like the Q.  It's the use of a power supply that's required, not which one.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mhnatt,

Arlo Pro II can be continuously powered indoors using the supplied indoor power adapter.  At this time we do not support continuous outdoor use with an outdoor power adapter

JamesC

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC,

I'm not understanding the logic behind why it would matter "which" source of A/C power, be it indoor or outdoor.  Is not volts, volts? If the official Arlo outdoor power supply, is acceptable and compatible to supply the power, why in the world would the source of voltage matter?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

That’s still “unanswered” question, is it or is it not available when plugged in to a/c using the Arlo supplied outdoor cable/adapter? We’re just getting repeats of the Netgear wording but no real logic explanation. Could someone please help clear this up?

Thank you.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

JimmyHLin wrote:

Yes, so can the Arlo Pro. We understand that. However we can also continuously power it by using the Arlo supplied outdoor power adapter. Please answer the question.

Thank you.

doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm 99.9% sure that the look back feature will work when the Pro 2 is outdoors and connected by a power cable.  How in the heck would the camera know that it is outside?!!?  In a week or so I will be able to change my answer to either 0% or 100% as I will have a Pro 2 in my possession.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

I too will know for sure in a week once they arrive.  But what JamesC said worries me because 1) he is a moderator and probably has far more insight than we do but most importantly, 2) the Arlo Pro does indeed somehow know that it is connected via an indoor vs outdoor charging cable because the charge icon is different between the two as I have both types setup. Perhaps one of them shoots a different amp value. Regardless, you can be certain that the camera knows what type of cable is pumping energy to it.

But the burning question is WHY? After all, I would propose that the Arlo camera is used outdoors >95% of the time. This (outdoors) is where it beats the competition.  It doesn’t hold a candle indoors to other indoor specific cameras (I use Canary inside) as it doesn’t even monitor the air quality nor temperature.  So again, given that outdoor is the strength of the Arlo, WHY make the Arlo 2’s major selling point (outside of 1080p which by the way, the competition has long had out), not possible? We have had ArloQ for years doing that!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

mhnatt wrote:

2) the Arlo Pro does indeed somehow know that it is connected via an indoor vs outdoor charging cable because the charge icon is different between the two as I have both types setup.

Got a screenshot of the difference? I've tried both types with no obvious difference unless I'm as blind as my wife tells me.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

doczenith1 wrote:

I'm 99.9% sure that the look back feature will work when the Pro 2 is outdoors and connected by a power cable.  How in the heck would the camera know that it is outside?!!?  In a week or so I will be able to change my answer to either 0% or 100% as I will have a Pro 2 in my possession.

I wouldn't be so sure.......I've got this feeling Netgear is offering this as a package deal, (CVR available with premium subscriptions and ONLY for indoor use) got have one to get the others (ie. pixel zone blocking and three-minute look-back). That's what (I'm guessing) they mean, possibly just badly presented.

Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
Are you sure the charging icons are different for the indoor and outdoor chargers? I too have both setup, and I’m not able to see any difference.
doczenith1
Apprentice
Apprentice

mhnatt wrote:

I2) the Arlo Pro does indeed somehow know that it is connected via an indoor vs outdoor charging cable because the charge icon is different between the two as I have both types setup.

Do both cameras have the battery removed?  Does the icon switch if you swap the cables between cameras?

Milesjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

It does work, i ordered 2 cables off of Amazon and tested my camera's for four hours today, and i can tell you it works.

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

What brand of outdoor cables? The official Arlo ones or knock offs? This may matter. Thanks!

Milesjr wrote:

It does work, i ordered 2 cables off of Amazon and tested my camera's for four hours today, and i can tell you it works.

Milesjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

What i ordered 

Arlo by NETGEAR Outdoor Power Adapter  Arlo Pro Compatible (VMA4700)
$22.99 for prime members.

Milesjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

You can also order weatherproof 20ft/6m Cable Compatible With Arlo Pro - by Wasserstein (White) off amazon and use the indoor adapter from netgear as power supply, just make sure the power supply is not exposed to the elements directly. I went to lowes and purchased extension cords and hid all of my wiring from view. You can only see the plug in portion of the wire with usb plugged into back of camera.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation