Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
jguff330
Follower
Follower

it took about 2 months for the outdoor power cord to come in stock and ship, so in the meantime i had my cameras working on battery power. well today I hooked up power and now the focus does not seems as good.  I remember it being a very crisp video, not you can barely make out the faces which defeats a good chunk of the purpose. 

my signal is 2 of the 3 bars.

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is your video setting set to Best Video? You haven't smeared a fingerprint on the lens while connecting the power by chance?

Pontaso
Guide
Guide

This is a wider and larger problem now with Arlo.

Many users have experienced pixelation, lack of focus and bad video/image quality lately, me included. I have owned this system for about a year now, but around Arlo's emergency update to their cloud this may video and picture quality went to garbage. Prevously I had a crystal clear and very crisp picture without exceptions. Also their new firmware updates have only made the video/picture quality worse.

I wonder are they using more compression at Arlo while the amount of users is growing or is there a code that in the beginning everything works fine but with time compression increases etc. making the video/picture quality garbage.

Something is not right with this system.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you post an example screenshot of the image quality you are describing?

JamesC

BonnerBB
Tutor
Tutor
I'm having the same problem. Here is a screen shot of a good camera and my new out of focus one.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's normal and is not out of focus (if it is, it's not by much). Small sensors like this have lots of depth of field, especially when coupled with such wide angle fisheye lenses. What you may be describing as out of focus is actually the compression being used.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Chip cam looks pretty out of focus to me. I'd hit up Netgear or your retailer for an RMA and get the camera swapped out

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy
Yeah definitely out of focus. Big difference between the two pics.
Pontaso
Guide
Guide

1529903569017 (002).JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

That's normal and is not out of focus (if it is, it's not by much).

Wow! I looked at the picture last night on my tablet and apparently didn't think to scroll down to see the blurry image. DOH! Yes, it's out of focus although I have to ask if it's ever in focus. It's at a lower elevation so perhaps more prone to moisture on the lens. Swap the cameras around and see if that makes a difference. If not, swap at the store.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation