Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 release date uk

Discussion stats
  • 61 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
CHill003
Follower
Follower

Hi, I'm a potential customer and would like to know when the Arlo Pro 2 (1080 cameras) will be available in the UK... or has this model been released. Thnx

61 REPLIES 61
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ring Pro is a nightmare and their customer support.

Safest solution is buy a Dantech 24v plug transformer DO NOT USE THE Ring 24V supplied.

Also when setting it up before you add the wireless chime go into the Ring app and set no bell otherwise it will blow the transformer in my case.

Arlo Pro 2 warranty just wait until released in the UK then do a switcheroo; )
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
I used my Samsung QC 3.0 fine but bought matching wassersteins.
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
With the Wsseestein you really have to make sure you get a good fit and connection, I found the same at first then nodded fit perfect.
ChoccoMonsta
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Any further news on UK release date?

I want to buy the Arlo 2 with 4 Cameras and hoping I can get a deal.

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Novice here! How do I copy and paste or highlight someone's comments to reply to ie in a box?
Obsydian, I've just bought the Arlo Pro 2 from Amazon US with two spare Arlo Pros. Came to £913 including import duty. Does the package include an external adjustable mount and silicon skins? Or would I have to purchase these separately? If yes, would the skins from Amazon UK fit the Arlo Pro 2 and would the adjustable mount from Amazon UK for the Arlo Pro fit the Arlo Pro 2?

Lots for me to take on board especially re that wiring W thing you were talking about. Is it sold on Amazon UK?

Arlo Pro 2 is out of stock until this Thursday 16th Nov 17; so paying for DHL fast delivery hasn't helped much.

Still £917 isn't too bad a price; especially if they overcharged on the import duty and refund some; which they do at times.

Thanks
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

BlueSkiesUK wrote:
Novice here! How do I copy and paste or highlight someone's comments to reply to ie in a box?
Obsydian, I've just bought the Arlo Pro 2 from Amazon US with two spare Arlo Pros. Came to £913 including import duty. Does the package include an external adjustable mount and silicon skins? Or would I have to purchase these separately? If yes, would the skins from Amazon UK fit the Arlo Pro 2 and would the adjustable mount from Amazon UK for the Arlo Pro fit the Arlo Pro 2?

Lots for me to take on board especially re that wiring W thing you were talking about. Is it sold on Amazon UK?

Arlo Pro 2 is out of stock until this Thursday 16th Nov 17; so paying for DHL fast delivery hasn't helped much.

Still £917 isn't too bad a price; especially if they overcharged on the import duty and refund some; which they do at times.

Thanks

Blueskiesuk when replying tap the quote button top right.

Yes I found even with import duty and expedited postage cheaper than UK.

No you only get the ball magnet internal mount and no skins.

Skins DO NOT BUY Arlo Muppets increased field of view on Pro 2 (good) but you can see the rim of the skins.

Mounts buy the Arlo ones off Amazon UK, warning the are very small and overpriced but very good and twist lock once screwed mount is screwed in place.

Skins leave or again buy the Wasserstein they do not have the brow/lip.

Do not but the Wasserstein mounts if intending to power with cable outside as their mount obstructs the port.

Power cable I bought the Arlo with captive plug x 2, then realised I would have to drill a 1 inch hole minimum for the connector !!!! fortuately not thanks to Arlo I stumbled across them recalling (the just say now outdoor cable only for indoor use) their cable. Looked into the Wasserstein and realised people were routing and taping down threw nearby windows to avoid 1 inch holes, the cable is a flat design and works a treat.

What else patience lad you have a good deal order and sit tight, in the meantime order the Wasserstein cables and plugs about £30 in total. The also order the Arlo original wall mounts.

Installation is a doddle.

See you went 2x Pro and 2x Pro, any reason ?

I would put the Pro where you need night vision as the Pro 2 night vision is a disaster compared to the Pro, unless you have enough street or external house lightning.

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor

Obsydian wrote:
 Blueskiesuk when replying tap the quote button top right.

Yes I found even with import duty and expedited postage cheaper than UK.

No you only get the ball magnet internal mount and no skins.

Skins DO NOT BUY Arlo Muppets increased field of view on Pro 2 (good) but you can see the rim of the skins.

Mounts buy the Arlo ones off Amazon UK, warning the are very small and overpriced but very good and twist lock once screwed mount is screwed in place.

Skins leave or again buy the Wasserstein they do not have the brow/lip.

Do not but the Wasserstein mounts if intending to power with cable outside as their mount obstructs the port.

Power cable I bought the Arlo with captive plug x 2, then realised I would have to drill a 1 inch hole minimum for the connector !!!! fortuately not thanks to Arlo I stumbled across them recalling (the just say now outdoor cable only for indoor use) their cable. Looked into the Wasserstein and realised people were routing and taping down threw nearby windows to avoid 1 inch holes, the cable is a flat design and works a treat.

What else patience lad you have a good deal order and sit tight, in the meantime order the Wasserstein cables and plugs about £30 in total. The also order the Arlo original wall mounts.

Installation is a doddle.

See you went 2x Pro and 2x Pro, any reason ?

I would put the Pro where you need night vision as the Pro 2 night vision is a disaster compared to the Pro, unless you have enough street or external house lightning.

I did try replying earlier on my Smartphone but I think it got lost in cyberspace somewhere!  I could only see the QUOTE button when I logged on using my laptop, so thanks Obsydian.

Noted re skins, Wasserstein cables and mounts, thx.

Did you mean lad or lady? 🙂  I'm female!

Installing on my laptop and smartphone should be easy enough as I've installed so many systems on my smartphone and laptop for security systems re my mom when in a care home; and for pets.  I wanted to go cable free this time. I'm not too keen on drilling holes; so may leave that to a handyman at some point and keep the Arlo Pro 2 units free standing temporarily until I have settled in my new home.

I think I typed incorrectly.  I had meant to say I bought the Arlo Pro 2 base unit from Amazon US which comes with 2 Arlo Pro 2s only; and instead of buying another base unit with two Arlo Pro 2s, I purchased an extra two Arlo Pro 2s to go with the original base unit as I did not want to have 2 base units.  

At some point I want to purchase another 4 Arlo Pro 2s to go outside the house, and I guess I will have to submit and buy another base unit with 4 Arlo Pro 2s.  The ones I'm buying at the moment are for inside the house to monitor my pets though if I cannot get the Ring Pro working on the door, I may use one of the Arlo Pro 2s outside the front door.  I've heard that the sound quality is not very good though and that there is a ten second delay.

When I do place the Arlo Pro 2s outside the house, I plan on having a solar powered charging unit to go with it; along with a solar powered motion sensored light system so that in the dark if anyone passes, the lights will come on.

Fingers crossed, this post will go through and not end up in cyberspace like the other one did!!!!!

Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo moderation not lost.

They love to watch but not help but quick to delete posts.
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Do the Arlo Pro 2 bases need to be connected and situated next to the router?

If as you say the Pro 2 units need to be at least 10 metres from a base, otherwise it loses signal, why didn't Netgear mention this? Especially as some people will put tgeir external units up trees outside.

Thx
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice
The bases I believe must have a wired lan co section to the router, no idea if it can link via WiFi doubt it.

As always Arlo offer bold promises but to be fair it can be house dependant although a number of mentions on the forum of weak signal.

I have my base station at the rear of the house about 2m from the rear camera and it's max bars. The front camera is around 15m away and is always 1 bar.

Arlo do advise a central location in the house but who on earth has their router say on the landing or hallway ....
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
I have read some use mobile wifi which was what I was planning on doing on my empty house while up for sale.

When I used a webcam to monitor mom in the care home I used mobile wifi then to check in on her.

Thx
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor

V8 wrote:

riknita wrote:

I just asked support re warranty in UK and was told that it would be coverd for 2 years.

I just want to know if the power supply was a US one or was compatable for UK - did you use a US - Uk adaptor

Thanks

Sadly, whomever told you that is mis-informed. 

Categorically, purchasing from the US and shipping to the UK does not provide you with any warranty if for any reason you need to RMA the item; they will only ship RMA'd devices to a US address, not UK.

I had this also confirmed by customer support in Ireland yesterday who cover all of Europe as they called me directly (so this is via two different routes). They also advised they have customers in Scandanavia asking the same question.

Additionally US purchased items only get a 1 Year warranty, whereby UK sold items get 2 year (again confirmed yesterday)

Purchasing from the US, shipping to the UK is at your risk and should subsequently there be an issue you will not be able to RMA your device.

You will need a US>UK adapter plug.

@V8, hmmmm the US to UK adapter plug link you shared above via Amazon is not the right fit for the Arlo Pro 2.  I had gone ahead and purchased it and it doesn't fit the Arlo Pro 2 which arrived today.  Yes it is a US to UK adapter plug but the way the Arlo Pro 2 plug is designed, it doesn't fit.  So frustratingly, I am not able to "play" with my new Arlo Pro 2 as yet and need to go out to Currys to buy one; which is fine.

I'll update at a later stage how I get on with with Arlo Pro 2.  I'm looking forward to connecting it to my Echo Show which also arrived last week. 

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor

Not having much luck today.  Went to Currys, got a US to UK plug converter but when I got home, the adapter wasn't working and the base would not switch on or light up; so I ended up taking a toothbrush adapter and that worked thankfully.  I was almost panicking that the Arlo Pro 2 base from Amazon USA wasn't working!!

I managed to set up the Arlo Pro 2 and all 4 cameras ok.  I wondered if it would have been a good idea for me to get 4 cameras from Amazon US and one Arlo Pro base from Amazon UK; just so I had the UK plug.  I'm not liking all these US plugs that are with the Arlo Pro 2s.  

I now have three Arlo Pro 2 camera power cables that came supplied from Amazon US, and have to find a UK adapter so I can use them.  Haven't tried it out yet; too tired, as I've been trying to add my Arlo Pro 2 onto my Echo Show; and frustratingly, (on research), like many others, I cannot seem to be able to activate the account linking between Arlo Pro and Amazon Echo Show.  When I am given the option to activate account linking, the screen just blanks out and disappears.  I have tried it numerous times; and am mentally fatigued by it.  Cannot see anyone else's solution yet for those in the US who have had the same problem as me regards to activating account linking between the Arlo Pro 2 and Amazon Echo Show. Perhaps I should put this in another thread but it's the UK and not many would have purchased the Arlo Pro 2 yet.

I'm impressed with the HD quality of the video on the Arlo Pro 2 cameras.  Of all the home web cams I've had in the past few years, the quality of the Arlo Pro 2 camera is superb.  Sound level is terrible; barely a whisper!  It's been louder on other webcams I've had with two way sound!

It's early days yet; I'm only planning on using the Arlo Pro 2s indoors to monitor my dogs and builders (when I move in to a new property soon).  Not sure about using it outside yet.  I read that there is an Arlo Pro outdoor power cable by NetGear but it's being recalled as it causes the Arlo Pro cameras to get wet and damaged.  

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Yaaay!!! After many hours of trial and error, I finally called Netgear Support and decided to uninstall and reinstall Amazon Alexa.. All else had failed.

It worked!!! Amazon Echo show is now displaying all four Arlo Pro 2 video cameras! Success! Whew! Just need to move house now so I can put them to use.

I am nervous of hackers looking into the house via the videos .... is this possible?
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Shaver plug is the easiest and fine - your fingered that.

Yes two way is not good and night vision questionable, but it is the balance of easy of install, cost and easy of use.

I got my Alexa Show for my Mum and setup within minutes to both Arlo and Ring Bell, the Drop in took sometime to sort, but realised when setup it was now my internal camera.

Note Arlo when you go live does not record, the Ring does, this is not good.

Hackers, take time and read carefully and setup, you must only give drop in access to the household, so I setup and account for my Mum, so only i can drop in (i.e. after a audible alert, 10 secs i can see and hear, bit creepy), others will just ring until answered.

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Everything was going well @Obsydian until this morning when the connection was lost and it seems that the shaver adapter has blown as it's no longer working. Am I jinxed that two adapters are not working? THe first new one from Currys is definitely not working; and the other shaver adapter worked all night until this morning; it could be that it was old but really?

The US has less voltage than us right but surely I don't need to transform or alter the voltage in any way? I'm going to get a proper US to UK adapter which is arriving tonight; fingers crossed that will stay on.

Jinxed with adapters! If all else fails I may need to buy a base from Amazon UK but not sure if that means I have to resynch everything all over again and at a cost of just under £90!!!

DId you use your shaver adapter?

Thanks. Noted re other comments especially RIng Pro! Kudos to you for installing it yourself! I'll use an electrician once I move to my new house.

WIth the Echo Show I am nervous about the drop in but have blocked people I don't know.

Otherwise, its cool having the Arlo Pro 2 cameras on Echo Show 🙂
Obsydian
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would just try a standard US to UK Plug adaptor.

Only voltage change i made was in the base station setup to change it to 50Hz as opposed to Auto or 60Hz.

Ring Pro - technically not fully installed, as i blew two of the Ring Transformer waiting another, but gave up and went the easiest route with a mains powered transformer.

I need to read more about the Echo Show, as only two people are in the address book and drop in is for household only. i assumed (maybe wrongly) you can't get cold called, or you can but it won't drop in, you have to answer it, still a major pain, more potential for SPAM than hackers.

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Hi @Obsydian, a friend came round to take a look at the Net Pro 2 base station plug from Amazon USA and advised that it needed the voltage to be 110 and not 240 as the UK is; which is why the adapaters had been blowing as they were 230 v and the shaver adapater was 240v and the travel adapter from USA to UK that I had also bought tonight from Amazon UK did not convert voltage

Luckily I had a AC to AC converter in the house which converts voltages; and I could convert the correct voltage. The Arlo Pro 2 base station is now back up and running.

If you are using a travel adapter to run your Arlo Pro 2 base station, and it works fine at 240v, wow, wonders! No such luck forme!

I saw online on Amazon UK that they do sell other travel adapters that converts voltages.

My only issue with the current transformer is that it hummms. Grrrr. Maybe I'll research online on Amazon UK and buy one that doesn't hummmmmmm.
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
This is an expensive transformer from Amazon UK
Tacima 240/120V Stepdown Transformer to use USA equipment in the UK 500VA SC5476
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009K6M4O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lcifAbH0JKWR3

Mine is slightly smaller. Very heavy. The humming noise got less when I moved it around thankfully.

I do remember someone on this thread I think that said I needed a transformer. Meh me for not heeding that. No time to go looking for who it was.
V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

BlueSkiesUK wrote:
Hi @Obsydian, a friend came round to take a look at the Net Pro 2 base station plug from Amazon USA and advised that it needed the voltage to be 110 and not 240 as the UK is; which is why the adapaters had been blowing as they were 230 v and the shaver adapater was 240v and the travel adapter from USA to UK that I had also bought tonight from Amazon UK did not convert voltage

Luckily I had a AC to AC converter in the house which converts voltages; and I could convert the correct voltage. The Arlo Pro 2 base station is now back up and running.

If you are using a travel adapter to run your Arlo Pro 2 base station, and it works fine at 240v, wow, wonders! No such luck forme!

I saw online on Amazon UK that they do sell other travel adapters that converts voltages.

My only issue with the current transformer is that it hummms. Grrrr. Maybe I'll research online on Amazon UK and buy one that doesn't hummmmmmm.

Its interesting you say this as by default most products nowadays are variable in that the power adapters/AC/transformers can be used in any country and are 'universal voltage'. I suppose it's just another Netgear cost saving/cutting corners exercise. In fact Netgear support never even mentioned this, just that a US>UK plug adapter could be used.

You can buy a step down transformer for about £8-£10; something like this (https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2414) providing its under 45W (base is about 5W I think but would need checking)

It's funny how I watched a live feed on FB yesterday by their Arlo Pro 2 'Guru' 'Jimmy', selling the lies to all the gullible people about use outdoor, better video quality etc over the Pro 1....made me laugh. 

P.S. apologies on the US>UK plug adapter; I was basing it on my previous experience with these things in that they usually just require the plug (exactly as you have done with the shaver adapter)

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Hi , no worries, all is working well with the step down transformer that I already had at home. I posted the link to an expensive transormer as that had the best reviews on Amazon. The reviews for the cheaper ones were not so good.

My transformer is going well; overnight no issues; no plugs overheating as they did yesterday morning and blew(!).

I have had a few webcams in my time monitoring my mom at her home, then sheltered housing, then her nursing home, and I have to say the quality of the Arlo Pro 2 is the best so far in it's clarity.

I haven't played around with it too much as have been busy. So far the motion detectors are great, and I can record when live. Did Obsydian say the Arlo Pro 2 couldn't record when live?

Distance wise, there has been no issue with my cameras picking up motion or recording on another floor from the router or in other rooms. Did someone say the limit was 10 metres?

I do remember some talking abour bars ... is this the bars on the cameras? Mine are always at top bars ie maximum.

I researched and believe there are some travel routers (I think that's what they are called) which you can link to mobile wifi to use the Arlo Pro 2 wherever you want to.

I have not hooked up the cameras to any walls as I will be moving in the next 2 weeks approx. I will leave my old webcam cameras monitoring in my old home with mobile wifi and use the Arlo Pro 2s in my new home.

Excuse my memory V8, did you get Arlo Pro 2s as well or are you waiting for the UK release? I note Netgear are still very tight lipped about any UK release date.

I am happy to have purchased the Arlo Pro 2s from Amazon USA - just wasn't so happy about needing to use adapters and transformers which is a bit of nuisance.

The camera power cables are alsp 2 pinned (I have 3 power cables) but I think instead of buying more transformers I could possibly use Samsung travel adapters as it's a USB connector to the power cable.
V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

BlueSkiesUK wrote:
Hi , no worries, all is working well with the step down transformer that I already had at home. I posted the link to an expensive transormer as that had the best reviews on Amazon. The reviews for the cheaper ones were not so good.

My transformer is going well; overnight no issues; no plugs overheating as they did yesterday morning and blew(!).

I have had a few webcams in my time monitoring my mom at her home, then sheltered housing, then her nursing home, and I have to say the quality of the Arlo Pro 2 is the best so far in it's clarity.

I haven't played around with it too much as have been busy. So far the motion detectors are great, and I can record when live. Did Obsydian say the Arlo Pro 2 couldn't record when live?

Distance wise, there has been no issue with my cameras picking up motion or recording on another floor from the router or in other rooms. Did someone say the limit was 10 metres?

I do remember some talking abour bars ... is this the bars on the cameras? Mine are always at top bars ie maximum.

I researched and believe there are some travel routers (I think that's what they are called) which you can link to mobile wifi to use the Arlo Pro 2 wherever you want to.

I have not hooked up the cameras to any walls as I will be moving in the next 2 weeks approx. I will leave my old webcam cameras monitoring in my old home with mobile wifi and use the Arlo Pro 2s in my new home.

Excuse my memory V8, did you get Arlo Pro 2s as well or are you waiting for the UK release? I note Netgear are still very tight lipped about any UK release date.

I am happy to have purchased the Arlo Pro 2s from Amazon USA - just wasn't so happy about needing to use adapters and transformers which is a bit of nuisance.

The camera power cables are alsp 2 pinned (I have 3 power cables) but I think instead of buying more transformers I could possibly use Samsung travel adapters as it's a USB connector to the power cable.

I was waiting for the UK release mate, although I've been watching the threads with enthusiasm just to see how they are going about fixing the current set of issues. At the moment it looking like Jan 2018, although the guys in Ireland support told me December. To be fair it works well for me as i'm just waiting for my refund to be processed from Netgear on the Pro 1's and I'm told it can take up to 8 weeks.

BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
@V8 so Dec orJan for a UK release date, interesting. That's nice to know. Timing works for me as well to get another set of 4 cameras or possibly 6, to make it 5 cameras to 2 base stations. 5 cameras inside and 5 cameras outside.

I'm personally not so bothered about continuous feed (at the moment - it is open to change). The subscription charge is expensive to store on cloud and I'm also not so bothered about that 3 second delay feedback by placing the cameras on a power charge.

Because of all the hassle with cables over the years with other webcams, the wireless facility of the Arlo Pro really appealed to me. If anything I may just get solar power to charge the batteries outside rather than plug it into a main power source with external cables.

I may change my mind if Netgear fix the water log issues with their external cables that they recently recalled. I know Wessterstein (spelling) have external cables but I've heard mixed reviews. I probably would prefer to stick to Netgear personally as it's not really a big issue for me to have constant power.. I really do not like cables trailing everywhere!! Just a personal preference, for the moment.

It'll be interesting to see what they price the Arlo Pro 2s when they are released to the UK.
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor
Update re the Arlo Pro 2 audio two way system. I tested it again and was surprised that it was indeed loud enough. I'm not sure how it would be if it was by the front door. Thinking out loud, it may be ok.

If I do place an Arlo Pro 2 by the front door, I may also still use a Ring Pro,, for back up. Ability to view from different angles. With my mom, we used to have two security cameras in one room so we could see different angles and avoid blind spots, for her securitiy ie if she fell etc.

I still have a lot to play around with re the Arlo Pro 2 cameras; though it will have to wait until I move home and set them up either on a wall or table top. Preferably a wall so that the viewing angle is better.
BlueSkiesUK
Tutor
Tutor

A quick update re my Arlo Pro 2 from Amazon USA.

I should be moving home anyday now but I won't have wifi in my new home for at least a couple of weeks; so I bought a Huawei 4G Router B525 to connect my Arlo Pro 2 wirelessly.  I just tested it out today and voila, it works wonderfully!  Yes I could have gotten something cheaper but I chose this one.

I haven't armed my Arlo Pro 2 for a few days nor checked it and noticed that it had kicked itself out of wifi mode and the only way to reset it was to switch it on and off.  I had read that this was a problem with others; not sure if it was the prob with Arlo Pro or Arlo Pro 2.  

I had the same problems with other webcam security systems when checking in on my mom; ie from time to time, it would kick itself out of wifi mode and there was no way to reset it remotely.   I needed to go to my mom's nursing home and reboot the Huawei mobile wifi and at times, the webcam itself.  Maybe it's a problem for all webcams.  I haven't researched more into it.  Would be interested in anyone elses experience of this.

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 61 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation