Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing issues--is the "needs internet connection" problem solved?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
KurtICT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been trying to get geofencing to work reliably.  I have an HTC 10 Android 7 phone.  I usually keep my wifi turned on because I need to be on my home wifi for one application; and my battery usage is less on wifi compared to LTE.  I have Geofencing set up with an away (armed) mode and home (scheduled) mode.  When I am home, I can set it to Home mode easily.  When I leave the house, though, if I keep wifi turned on, I get the "geofencing needs an internet connection" message, even though by then the phone is on the wifi in my car.  Is this still a recurring problem?  (I saw old messages on this from months ago, but none seem to show the problem is fixed).  I do find if I turn OFF my wifi on my phone, and the phone goes on LTE, it seems to suddenly know there is an internet connection, and it works.  Then, if on LTE when I get home, it knows I am home.  Will I need to constantly turn wifi off and on to get this to work right?

2 REPLIES 2
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

KurtICT wrote:

I do find if I turn OFF my wifi on my phone, and the phone goes on LTE, it seems to suddenly know there is an internet connection, and it works.  

When in your car, give your phone time to connect to the car's wifi. Then if you are showing Devices,try clicking on either Library or Mode. I get the "needs internet" notice sometimes, seems to be an issue of forcing the app to refresh and switching between menu items is faster than turning wifi off then back on. 

KurtICT
Aspirant
Aspirant

That seemed to work.  I am dissappointed that it doesn't work automatically--it would be just as easy to only use "Schedule", or just to remember to change the mode when leaving the house anyway.  I was pleased this evening that it automatically knew when I was home within about a minute this evening, though, so I will keep experimenting with it.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation