Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

I am experiencing a Netgear Arlo Engineering snafu involving Firmware Updating of Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras. The views and functions of several cameras installed at a home far away cannot be accessed because they are tied up by some "Update Camera" message. When I click the button to update then an error message "base_station_error_4403" comes up.

In the control software I selected the Base Station ("My Devices / Base Station Settings"), then ordered it to restart. But after the Base Station restarted that has not resolved anything.

Netgear Tech Support (as of today anyway) advised that one needs to be at the location to perform the update. They advise (those of you reading this who are near the cameras are lucky):

1. to control updates from mobile phone or from a computer, one has to be where the location where cameras are, then connect to the same local network the cameras are on.
2. if accessing through a mobile app, then make sure mobile data is turned off on cell phone, only the cell phone's local Wi-Fi would be on.
3. Power down then restart the Base Station
4. Next make sure cameras are near to the Base Station. They suggested some feet away.
5. Then select update.
6. You may have to 'Power Cycle' cameras too - remove their battery, wait 10-15 secs, then reinstall battery.

Netgear Tech Support's proposed solution is IMPRACTICAL for me (and many others) as I am no where near the home that is monitored by my Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras. I only visit this home a few times a year, it is about 1,000 miles away! Nobody else is in the home to do this update.

I explained to them 1. my cameras were working fine before Netgear stepped in with this update scheme, 2. because of Netgear's choice (and no choice given to the customer) my Arlo home security system is basically locked up, 3. I am not anywhere nearby to climb ladders and pull cameras to near the Base Station.

I am not litigiuous, but I asked Netgear Arlo Tech Support to WARN Netgear's engineering and legal team to expect lawsuits if customer's properties are damaged because of this choice and process by Netgear.

Netgear Arlo people caused this problem for its customers, Netgear to come up with a practical remedy, and do it sooner rather than later.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

As a followup, on the afternoon of the next day (14 May) I logged into the Arlo app, and checked the cameras. I was relieved to find that all four of my previously stalled Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras are now working. Each is showing a "Live" button instead of "Update". I took screen shots of each just to be sure.

I am not sure if this was a normal, automatic fix performed by their firmware or if it was some extra effort on the part of Netgear Technical Support, but for either reason I am grateful.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

As a followup, on the afternoon of the next day (14 May) I logged into the Arlo app, and checked the cameras. I was relieved to find that all four of my previously stalled Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras are now working. Each is showing a "Live" button instead of "Update". I took screen shots of each just to be sure.

I am not sure if this was a normal, automatic fix performed by their firmware or if it was some extra effort on the part of Netgear Technical Support, but for either reason I am grateful.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation