Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
mrdrew
Tutor
Tutor

I'm going to install power outside for my front porch Arlo camera. I do have power out there in the form of two deck lights, but they're both on a switch. Anyone have any suave solutions for porch light, and micro-usb power out to a nearby Arlo camera?

I'm thinking there's probably a hot/neutral/ground at the light fixture, with a marked black/black wire going to the switch. I could wire in an outlet, but it would be so janky looking.

I think the best looking solution would be to wire up an outlet similar to the one below into the overhang of the roof, the soffit area. But that's not a great solution. My house has aluminum siding... but it is a possibility I suppose.

20' black micro usb cable

weather proof plug cover

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Call in an electrician. Electricity is dangerous. Arlo is expensive.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I was able to fit the indoor adapter inside of my outdoor wall mounted light ( light over elec box )...warm and dry in there.

No rain as covered.

You sometimes have to think outside te box, but make sure it will not get wet in any conditions

PS the indoor adapter as you know is not approved for outside

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
RVP
Star
Star

RVP
Star
Star

Sorry for the blank post!  This is what I plan to do. You and buy this from Home Depot.  Capture.PNG

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tom:

that would still be a switched light.........right? Unless you had permanent power feed in the fixture. So all you need is to make sure switch is always on and it works fine.

I had similar problem, but my indoor switch controlled four outside lights, two on garage front and two on porch. I could do without one of the lights on porch, removed light bulb and used fixture to plug in usb adapter. Other three light bulbs were replaced with Philips Hue WIFI bulbs, allowing me to control them individually or as a group. I also need to leave switch always on but have the three bulbs on Hue timer option.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

........also added a Philips Hue motion sensor (recommend for indoor use, but works fine outdoor too) to automatically turn on all outside lights when motion is detected at night time. That turned out to be a big bonus feature as it completely resolves the Arlo night vision problem. Looks pretty bright with lights on! 😄

mrdrew
Tutor
Tutor

@RVP Looks like that link was removed for some reason.

@Paul_FCCL It is a switched light, but frequently that light has both the hot, and the switched leg. So I can add a hot plug right there, and still run the switched leg after the new plug to the light: always on plug (on the lighting circuit). Dollars to doughnuts my wife is going to try and plug in Christmas lights and be like: wtf husband? No switch? I wonder what that's an indicator of if I'm already having this conversation in my head at this stage in my project...

Well folks, I think I'm going to go exterior plug route perhaps from the attic void space (between finished upstairs and triangle shaped area out to the eve. I'll take pics and post here when I'm done. Maybe in 2019.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

mrdrew:

I wasn’t so lucky, my light fixture is at end of power line.....no hot wire there, just switched. Had no other choice, wouldn’t want to pay $200.+ for an electrician to install a power outlet (I wouldn’t even try doing it myself). This way it cost me less than half as much, for Hue system with white bulbs and motion sensor.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul_FCCL wrote:

Tom:

that would still be a switched light.........right? Unless you had permanent power feed in the fixture. So all you need is to make sure switch is always on and it works fine.

Yes... it is a switched light, but the switch is always on and I put a solar switch into the light itself ( so the light goes on at dark ).  The box under the light and the light box itself allowed plenty of room.

Morse is faster than texting!
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Yes... it is a switched light, but the switch is always on and I put a solar switch into the light itself ( so the light goes on at dark ).  The box under the light and the light box itself allowed plenty of room.

Setup should be safe, in a light fixture (recessed type) with no possibility of water getting into it......not worried about the weatherproofing issue. Added feature of motion sensor to turn on lights at night as camera activates.

RVP
Star
Star

How can I accomplish this?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

That's a kind of vague request.

If you read the messages so far in this conversation, you'll see some thoughts.

Say a bit more about your circumstances – and why the earlier stuff isn't enough to go on – and perhaps you'll get more detailed ideas.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation