Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JustinG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. I purchased an arlo pro 4 camera package Tuesday. So far very impressed with the system other than one camera seems to go offline. I have two in my front yard one in my basement and one in the back yard.The back yard camera is furthest away from basestation. The one that goes offline is in my front yard and is maybe 10 feet from my other camera. One is watching front door and the one that goes offline is watching the drive way. Everytime this camera goes offline is at night and the night vision stays on and starts to drain the battery. I have moved the location of the camera by about 8 feet and swapped it with a camera that has worked fine and happened once agian tonight. The camera was fine all day then tonight I put the swapped camera back in the basement and repositioned it and when I did that it kicked the drive way camera offline with the infrared LEDs stuck on. I have a good wifi router with great range. My router is in my basement and the base station is upstairs. When the cameras are online working they all report full signal. The base station doesn't seem to recognize a problem as when the camera is offline the base stations lights are all green. This has happened once a night so far in two different locations with two different cameras. All equipment is updated with latest firmware. Everytime this has happened I've power cycled the camera and base station. The camera is back up now and seems to be working but unsure how long it will remain in this state. Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
larealboy
Guide
Guide

I have a very similiar situation as yours.  I purchased 4 Pros from Best Buy this past Saturday.  I have a very similair setup with one above my main entrance and one above the garage pointing at the driveway.  During the day, it continuted to have several motion detections.  I am pretty sure it is because the wind were blowing the shrubs which are in the camera's view.  I planned on moving it to a new location, but before I did that, I noticed my camera was offline tonight.  I checked on the camera to find my infrared LED's are on.  They will not go off and the camera remains offline ..  When the morning comes around, I will remove the battery and provide my finding.  I am not sure about these cameras just yet. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The router has nothing to do with the wireless cameras since they only connect to the base.

You can try removing the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync but you may need to open a case with support if the camera is faulty.

JustinG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah I figured the router didn't matter but some arlo videos make it seem like it does. I've taken one camera back to best buy after thinking the thing was faulty. Got home moved my camera mount a couple feet and the new camera was fine all day until it went offline sometime in the night. The camera went offline agian last night. I brought it inside and restarted it. The camera has been online for about 10 hours now and has captured some video. Very confused as to why this only happens here and there.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that it works near the base indicates a potential issue with the desired location.  It could be distance or anything that interferes with the signal between the base and camera, such as wiring, ductwork, building construction, other 2.4GHz wireless interference, etc.  Try other location, perhaps only a few inches or feet from the current one.  You can  use some Velcro or picture hanging adhesive strips (3M Command, etc.) to temporarily move the camera to a different location without holes.

JustinG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well the camera went offline once agian last night watching the drive way. Brought the camera inside and left it in the living room with the base station and went offline agian. Obviously got another lemon camera so I guess I'm going back to best buy. Thanks for commenting:) hopefully I'll be trouble free after another exchange.
larealboy
Guide
Guide

I have a very similiar situation as yours.  I purchased 4 Pros from Best Buy this past Saturday.  I have a very similair setup with one above my main entrance and one above the garage pointing at the driveway.  During the day, it continuted to have several motion detections.  I am pretty sure it is because the wind were blowing the shrubs which are in the camera's view.  I planned on moving it to a new location, but before I did that, I noticed my camera was offline tonight.  I checked on the camera to find my infrared LED's are on.  They will not go off and the camera remains offline ..  When the morning comes around, I will remove the battery and provide my finding.  I am not sure about these cameras just yet. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

larealboy,

Did rebooting the camera (removing and reinserting the battery) resolve the issue? Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

larealboy
Guide
Guide

James, that appeared to eliminate the problem.  I hope that does not occur again. I do not know why the infrared LED remained on, but it could be the wind was blowing the sthrubs which were in the view of the camera, setting off the motion.. Thanks for the follow up. 

larealboy
Guide
Guide

I tried everything Arlo Suppport Techs offered.   In addition, I switched locations with another camera thinking it could be the location but to no avail.  This camera still goes offline.  They FINALLY approved an RMA which I declined. I don't understand why the customer must pay a shipping charge to send the camera for repair when they agree it is a problem with the camera.  It appears so many have at least one camera with a problem.  I am currently packing my camera to return to Best Buy.