Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
rmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 3 camera kit. one of them is constantly plugged in with a genuine arlo pro charger that I bought with the system. 

For 6 months this worked fine. 

In the last month every time i load up the arlo app it shoes a message 

"the charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your batery. Please use an Arlo power adaptor."

I turn it off, turn it on. Take the plug out. etc. nothing removes this. 

I emphasise - I am using the genuine arlo charger provided in the kit. 

12 REPLIES 12
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Have you tried running it without the battery inside for a bit?

rmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'll try that tonight tho it's pretty disappointing that that's what I have to resort to for an expensive piece of kit
rmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant
And thank you for the response.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

No problem. If it turns out to be a faulty charger, I'm sure Netgear will replace it for you under warranty

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

A number of reviews online state they are not very weather proof and allow moisture in. Assuming they replace the charger, check first to make sure the battery is ok, then add a little silicone around the port after you have it plugged in.  I ordered solar chargers and once they arrive, I will be adding silicone to them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of the standard power supply outdoors is a sure way to void your warranty. While I'm sure you can weatherproof the connectors and the supply itself, it would be much safer, at least warranty-wise, to use the proper supply in the first place.

If you're out of warranty, give it your best shot.

rmercad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have actually drilled a small hole and had a power point specifically installed on the other side (i.e on the inside). 

So there shouldnt be any issues in terms of weather - unless its the point that connects to the camera. 

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

rmercad wrote:

I have actually drilled a small hole and had a power point specifically installed on the other side (i.e on the inside). 

So there shouldnt be any issues in terms of weather - unless its the point that connects to the camera. 

It is at the point where it connects to the camera

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

He is using the Netgear power supply which is supposed to be indoor/outdoor....or did they remove outdoor from their advertising?  I know it was there just a few days ago on amazon.

jguerdat wrote:

Use of the standard power supply outdoors is a sure way to void your warranty. While I'm sure you can weatherproof the connectors and the supply itself, it would be much safer, at least warranty-wise, to use the proper supply in the first place.

If you're out of warranty, give it your best shot.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DoriJC,

The standard power cable and adapter supplied with the Arlo Pro is not designed for outdoor use. There is an Arlo Pro/Go charger designed for outdoor use available as an accessory here: Outdoor Power Adapter (VMA4700)

JamesC

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

I thought that's what he was using

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Nah, he said the AC adapter that came with the kit. The Outdoor power adapter is a separate purchase