Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo App 2.4.4 on iOS causing battery drain/significant heat

Discussion stats
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This new updated App sure drains battery fast and make a significant warm/heat feel on iPhone 5s and 6 especially in live view.. It sometimes freezes when in full screen mode during live view. In full screen, landscape mode still have the top bar showing with the status icons. Pressing the live button doesn't always starts. When it does, only for a few seconds and stops..  Hmm.. am wondering what bug did the  talented Arlo Software Engineers fix?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new iOS app is available for download in the iOS store. Please make sure to update to the latest version and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Release Notes

JamesC

View solution in original post

137 REPLIES 137
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

have you un-installed and re-installed the app?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't see how the app could possibly cause the camera to do weird things. It simply causes the system to be accessible.  If the batteries wear down quickly without too much recording or live view, it has to be something about the camera itself, whether hardware or firmware.  Have you reinserted the battery to reset the camera and maybe power cycled the base?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

"drains battery fast and make a significant warm/heat feel on iPhone 5s and 6 especially in live view.."

Jeff... you forget your glasses again ?  🙂

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I read it as the camera getting warm, not the phone. Not the glasses, just slow synapses this time...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JPC,

I haven't noticed any difference in battery life/heat on my test iOS device since this update. As mentioned above, you might try reinstalling the Arlo mobile app along with rebooting your device and see if you still experience the issue.

JamesC

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC

Thanks.. App on iOS 10.3 helped a bit.. However, App on iOS 11 seemed problematic.. Pls. have a look into it.. 

Kalle1963
Tutor
Tutor

When I use the Arlo app on my iphone7 its getting very hot. Do someone has an idea why ?

Wenn ich die Arlo app nutze wird mein iphone7 richtig heiß. Weiß jemand warum ? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kalle1963,

Consider rebooting your iphone. Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Kalle1963
Tutor
Tutor
Yes it‘s still getting hot on the upper backcover, immediately after opening the app
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kalle1963,

Do you notice this behavior when running any other applications?

JamesC

Kalle1963
Tutor
Tutor
It‘s also when only the arlo app is running
MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

This is a REAL issue.

I believe there are 2 things at stake here:

1. iOS 11.x.x is known to have TERRIBLE battery life (even without running ARLO).  I really hope Apple addresses this issue because it seems to be device-wide.  There are many studies of battery life that prove significant decreases in life.

2. Recent versions of Arlo running on iOS 11 is quadrupling battery drain and making the phone's battery VERY HOT!

In my experience, prior to upgrading to iOS11 (running 10) and using ARLO I could actively use the app (look at live cameras, and watch recorded videos) for appx 1 hour straight and only lose about 5-10% of battery life).

After upgrading my iPhone 7 Plus to IOS 11 and running ARLO, if I watch 5 minutes of video and say watch 5 minutes of live cam, I lose OVER 20% of my battery life and the phone gets hot.

I have used tons of other apps and the phone does not get this hot or battery drain as fast.

Please see what is causing the phone's processor to SPIKE when using ARLO.  It must be something in the ARLO app for IOS that is not running the same as it did on IOS 10.

UK_MarkB
Star
Star
I agree, brand new Arlo user. Day 1 thought it was great. Now realise that th app is draining iPhone 7 battery rapidly and causing phone to get very hot. Major problem for me but assume it will be an obvious fix? If not, sadly the Arlo will have to be returned.
UK_MarkB
Star
Star
I have reloaded app. I have reset base station and rebuilt system. Same issue. Wife’s iPhone 7 has same issue.
cmnailtech
Initiate
Initiate

I have just installed Arlo pro, base station and 2 cameras, installed the app on iphone 7. and I am ASTOUNDED at how fast my iphone battery has been draining

BirdWatcherNY
Guide
Guide

Same thing here: iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3. The Arlo app absolutely kills the phone battery and it heats up. Really makes it unusable, other than for very quick spot-checks.

Funny thing is, the same Arlo app is on my older iPad Air, running iOS 11.0.1, and it's running fine there -- no overheating or battery drain at all. So I've resorted to using this iPad just to check on Arlo.

UK_MarkB
Star
Star

Many thanks. I see the same, my Gen2 iPad also seems to work fine with no obvious battery or heating issue.

Still I am hoping the Arlo team will find the bug and fix it quickly as I spend most of my time away (not carrying the iPad).

BirdWatcherNY wrote:

Same thing here: iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3. The Arlo app absolutely kills the phone battery and it heats up. Really makes it unusable, other than for very quick spot-checks.

Funny thing is, the same Arlo app is on my older iPad Air, running iOS 11.0.1, and it's running fine there -- no overheating or battery drain at all. So I've resorted to using this iPad just to check on Arlo.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic for further investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

UK_MarkB
Star
Star

Great. Thank you James.

mbuckley
Initiate
Initiate

The app for the iphone is not using the "background refresh" setting. It will kill the phones battery if you don't double click on the home button and swipe the app away every time you use it.

I have even turned Background App Refresh comletely off and it continues to run and consume battery power.

Mac1010
Initiate
Initiate
My husband and I have been experiencing the same issue with the app on our iPhone 7’s. The better idea drain extremely fast when running the app and our phones get very warm. We have reinstalled the app on both phones and reset the cameras. No difference. We’ve had the cameras for about a year and did t have these issue with our phones prior to the Apple software upgrade.

We don’t experience these problems on our iPads.

I hope a fix is issued soon. We use the app a lot as the cameras act as baby monitors for our kiddos.
Nupie
Star
Star
The Arlo app drains the battery of my iPhone 7 Plus extremely fast. Im on iOS 11. The back top of the phone heats up super hot too. The app drains my battery 5% per minute. Leaving the app running for 5 minutes drains the phone battery dead. Very very bad!! This only happens on the Arlo app. I’ve reinstalled the app and rebooted the phone. Still the same. I spent over 600.00 on this 4 camera system and can barely use it because of the terrible app.
UK_MarkB
Star
Star

Hi Nupie, last Arlo update yesterday told me they were still investigating but taking longer than expected. First few rounds of dialogue were all about checking my settings, even suggesting dumbing down the system which simply isn’t acceptable. I have faith the Arlo Team will solve this............ for now.

UK_MarkB
Star
Star

So I am now 1 week in.

I've had several contacts with Netgear support. Asked to explain and confirm iOs level etc.

I've been asked to try a few things out on my iPhone such as delete the app and watch cameras on iPhone directly from website and compare battery drain. That's a really good idea but I cannot view cameras from website via iPhone although it  I can from MacBook or PC.

The net result is zero progress. I SOOOO want to be able to recommend and keep this product but I've spent hours on this now and I've lost confidence. Time to take it down, ship it back. A real shame.