Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 Way Audio IOS 10.2/Iphone 6 not working

Discussion stats
damianwylie
Tutor
Tutor

I succeeded in talking through my camera using my Win 7 computer and google chrome, however when I tried to speak through the camera using my iPhone 6 i could only hear audio that the mic on the camera was picking up but the camera would not deliver audio from my Iphone6 when I was using the Iphone 6 app. In summary, this system is a 1 way audio device for Iphone 6 users. 

I've extensively fished through forums, this community forum, and other sources to troubleshoot the 2 way audio problem. I even called support. The support team was kind but claimed this problem was "rare" (yet I found 20+ issues on forums about 2 way audio not working...). They asked me to do the following:

1. Verify the app has access to the mic (no brainer)

2. Verify the correct version of the app was downloaded (i installed the latest version the day I opened/tested the system, which was today)
3. Cycle my phone on and off. (this isn't windows software...obviously cycling did nothing)

4. Try using LTE vs Wifi. (this defeats the purpose of having a security system that I need to use at 3am when I'm in bed. My phone is going to be connected to Wifi! I will not cycle it off just to use the audio. Nonetheless I tried it anyways and nothing happened, the 2 way audio still didn't work). 

Its apparent that product management and/or engineering isn't taking this issue seriously given the lack of CS support knowledge on this issue, the number of (growing) issues posted in the forums, and the lack of a root cause/fix. I'm returning the Arlo pro system I bought on xmas 2016 and will look at alternatives.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vu
Star
Star

- Thank for your hint. Look like Tmo has fixed this bug.

- I just update carrier setting from my iPhone and can access to microphone now.

- How: Go to Setting/General/About, a pop up dialog will ask us to update carrier setting. OK to update. After that microphone is working.

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

damianwylie,

I would like to offer additional assistance with the issue you are describing. Please provide me with the case number you have open with support and I will review your case.

JamesC

olomana808
Tutor
Tutor

Iphone 7+ IOS 10.2

T mobile LTE

Microphone stuck in connecting mode.  Able to hear audio from the camera.  Video is streaming clearly.  Unable to communicate back via microphone.  It worked about 7-10 days ago.  Has not worked last 4 days.

do I need to call this in too?

damianwylie
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James - i can't remember my case number but you can probably look it up under my account. Its the only case I've created through support. 

Vu
Star
Star

I got the same problem: Using iPhone 6S+ under Tmo LTE won't allow me to use microphone (display "connecting" forever..). The very interesting thing is : with WIFI, microphone can be accessed, and with my sister iphone 6 with Verizon LTE, she can be able to access to microphone too.  

I have reported to customer support 3 days ago and just get reply today that they will look into this problem.

I think this issue is very critical, and Netgear should take it seriously. 

002ten
Star
Star
Case # 27862249 12/29/16

Same thing with Iphone 7 Tmobile LTE, mic is stuck Connecting. When using wifi, everything works properly with no issues. It used to work using data LTE before the latest update.
Vu
Star
Star
By saying "it used to work using data lte before the latest update", you mean arlo software from iPhone or firmware update from arlo base station and firmware update from arlo camera ?

stogiepc
Guide
Guide

I'm having the same issue with the iPhone 7. As expensive as this system is, you'd think they'd do a better job with updates. This is obviously an IOS problem with the arlo firmware. Come on Netgear; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Now, fix your software! 

stogiepc
Guide
Guide

I really meant to say it is a problem with the App and IOS -- not the firmware... In any event, this is why the iPhone app gets such low ratings... 

002ten
Star
Star
Yes. It was working properly before the dec 22nd Arlo app update.
Vu
Star
Star
It seems that previous version also failed. I have tried to roll back arlo app to version 2.2.1 (version released on November and October) and I still cannot access to microphones in lte mode.

I got some support from netgear but they are so slow and useless so far.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have tested this using a T-Mobile iPhone 6S and have not been able to duplicate the issue being described on LTE. 

For those experiencing this issue:

-Does this happen intermittently or are you always experiencing this when using LTE?

-What is the quality of the LTE when you see this behavior (cell signal)?

JamesC

002ten
Star
Star
I have been trying everyday at work and at home using LTE since the Dec 22nd update. Signal ranges from 3 out of 5 and 5 out 5. It was working perfectly with 6s and iphone 7. When I got the cams in October 2016, Ive been talking to my kids everyday using LTE from work with no problem, whether with poor or great signal it works and loved it. So I dont think its Tmobile or Iphone. Some bugs must be fixed in the arlo app.
Vu
Star
Star
I used speed test from ookla and have around 3mps on both send and receive side. At home I got 38mps on download, 20 on upload but it still happen consistently: fail every time
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a new iOS app as of yesterday - have you tried that?

Vu
Star
Star
Just tried and it doesn't work neither

Look at this version changes, they are just cosmetic fixes
002ten
Star
Star
Got this from Netgear Support. Have you guy tried it with Android phone?

Thank you for giving us an update. I really appreciate your patience regarding this case. To properly isolate this case please try to login to an android device connected to mobile data so that we will be able to know if this problem exist only to iOS device and if it's possible please provide me screenshot regarding the push to talk taken from iOS device and android.

Please take note also of the mobile data provider on your iOS device and on the android device.
Vu
Star
Star
Here are tested cases (access to the same base)
- iPhone 6s+ with tmo lte: failed (cannot access microphone)
- iPhone 7+ with tmo lte: failed
- iPhone 6 with Verizon lte: ok (can access to microphone)
- Samsung Note with Verizon: ok

I will try to find android phone with tmo lte to see what happen

As JameC mentioned above, he has iPhone 6 with tmo lte but it works on his side.
stogiepc
Guide
Guide

As for me, I am using an iPhone 7 with ios 10.2 on the t-mobile network. The microphone will not work in wireless or LTE. I can hear from the cameras. I just can't communicate with them. I'm quite surprised that Netgear has not fixed this problem yet. I'm completely unhappy, and thinkng about returning the base and 4 cameras to Best Buy. It is not performing as advertised! Maybe we should all do a return, and get the Ring doorbell camera. At least that works... 

002ten
Star
Star
Ring door bell works perfectly if its connected to the doorbell power. Ive tried the wireless Ring Cams, battery life is not good and needs better signal. Arlo is still better, not the best but better than the other ones.
Vu
Star
Star

- if both WIFI and LTE doesn't work, you should exchange to normal Arlo camera. 

- so far, I believe it is software issue (either iphone Arlo app or base station/camera firmware) which can be fixed later.

- I also saw this issue happen for user with Arlo Q version from last year in this forum, Don't know if they have fixed that issue or not.

- This issue can be fixed more easy if developers are on site, otherwise, this critical issue will damage their reputation.

olomana808
Tutor
Tutor

iphone 7+ wifi in bedroom connects with base station and allows microphone to work

LTE on tmobile 3 seconds later doesnt work, stuck in connecting mode

gonna borrow a friend's old android to test it this weekend.

damianwylie
Tutor
Tutor
I've returned the product.
002ten
Star
Star
I wish I can return the product, $700 worth cams and Netgear cant fixed the firmware bugs. Unfortunately, Im over the return period at BestBuy.
Vu
Star
Star
I got reply from netgear tech support today and they said their engineers knew and fixed problem. New updated software is in the way.