Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Shrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi

I'm really fedup of waiting for something to happen around the 2-way communication on the Arlo Pro?! This function just does not work - full stop! I've owned my 5-cam Arlo Pro system for around 7 months now, and up to today I could not get it to work on iPhone (all IOS versions), Android (6.0, 7.0 and 8.0) and your web interface.

The biggest issue is with the commnication TO the camera. Its TOTALLY inconsitent and unrealiable. Mostly its broken communication that reaches the cam (less than 50% of the messages reaches the cam) and the rest of the time theres NO communication, just silence. Nowadays I see when you press the Mic button to speak, theres a big delay before the button turns purple - whats that all about?

I'm really fed-up that I had to pay so much for this system and the functionality just does not work. And don't tell me theres an issue with my cams, I have 5 of them and ALL of them does the same thing.

Please fix this function on your system. I paid a lot of money for this system and I expect it to work! Otherwise, please don't advertise that your system can do it!

Regards

Rico

126 REPLIES 126
motopro2
Aspirant
Aspirant

No solution still for the microphone problems with Iphones?  I have an Iphone 7Plus v11.3.1 and Verizon.  Reinstalled app by deleting 'X' on phone.  intermittent function then stopped again.  Still can't use microphone LIVE.  I can access off Chrome on PC.  Any help or hope?  

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@sgauger1 wrote:

Just hooked up my new cameras and push to talk does not work on either camera. I can hear sound from the camera on the iphone app but when i I try push to talk my voice doesn't come over the speaker on the camera. HELP!!! Tried Chat help but no one answered my question. WTH?!

As mentioned many times here.....

The issue with iPhones is iOS 11.3. Apple changed something or introduced a bug that broke the push to talk feature. The push to talk does work on iOS 11.4 beta 2. So you can upgrade to the beta or wait until apple offcially releases 11.4 in May or June.

It's also possible that Arlo comes up with a solution before 11.4 comes out.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Extremely speculative to blame this on Apple. I have 11.4 v2 beta, still no go.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I'm just going on what's been reported on this board. The vast majority of the people with the issue are on iOS 11.3. Some have reported that 11.4 beta 2 fixed it. If it didn't fix it for you then that adds another piece to the puzzle. IDK, the eveidence posted here points to iOS, but who knows for sure. All I know is it works fine for me on android. Guess I'll just stay out of the apple/arlo who's to blame discussions for now and let you guys who have the problem try to piece the puzzle together. Hopefully it gets fixed soon for you guys.

Ysabel
Luminary
Luminary

There is still no update yet. I have recently contacted them about this but they said their engineers are still working on it. Better use a different device for the mean time 🙂

Adrian97c
Guide
Guide
I’m the one who originally mentioned 11.4b2 fixed the issue... sadly I celebrated prematurely. It only works on random times. I think Arlo needs to update the app.
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello all,

We are actively working on a resolution for this and it should be forthcoming soon. We'll let you know when it releases. Thank you for your patience!

Dawn Marshall
Community Manager, Arlo

sgauger1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you

PandaMilkTea
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought a set from Costco.  Initially I thought there is something wrong with all 3 camera’s speakers, which is highly unlikely from my manufacturing test background.  The press and hold to speak option does not result any sound from the speakers on the cameras at all from my iPhone X’s built in mic.  But, as soon as I use my AirPod as mics, it works so well.  I would assume other Bluetooth headset should work too.  Maybe the normal wired mic/headphone should work too?

Birdwatch
Guide
Guide
Pandamilktea is right... I confirmed it myself the air pods do work with push to talk 2way. Matter of fact it works great for me. I’ll tell you one thing this is a big blow for IOS users. If I knew what I did now I wouldn’t purchase Arlo at all. Think of it as DirecTV service you purchase equipment and they have you by your private parts and there’s nothing you can do about if it doesn’t work. All this money....... I’ve spent nearly 2 geez on these cameras. Blah!!!!
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Airpod mics work intermittently. Tonight airpod mics worked 50% of connection attempts (4 out of 8 tries)
WaltonKY
Tutor
Tutor

NetGear Arlo Pro says 2 way talk comes with the Arlo Pro - I call Bull ****. All of us paid for this to work, it do not. When will this be fixed?

PandaMilkTea
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think this function has quite high latency if you are on a slow network. I also tried my car Bluetooth and works fine. My cat just has longer delay reaction time when I am watching the live stream (already a few seconds delayed) after I push and talk.  I did also experience AirPod failed to work once as well. But I was not on a WiFi network at the time.  I will try the wired headset later to see if it works.  Basically, the built in mic does not work.

HKM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same Problem,

I just got it from best buy yesterday, 

Arlo Pro 2-Way Audio Just Does NOT Work fine , i can hear but i cannot send any voice from my iphone 11.3.1

and this 2-way audio is the main reason what i bought for.

i have 30 days to return it back 

i will defiantly return it back if it doesn't work within 2 weeks.

HKM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope it will be fixed, 

I just bought it from best buy yesterday, 

Arlo Pro 2 with 4 Full HD Camera  

i am using Iphone X , Ver 11.3.1

and this 2-way audio is the main reason what i bought for.

i have 30 days to return it back 

i will defiantly return it back if it doesn't work within 2 weeks.

Evan_Aggie
Guide
Guide
Return it now; it won’t be fixed in 2 weeks. People have been waiting since February..

The response is: “we are looking into it but have no clue when we’ll have a resolution or more information”
stephan01
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo pro two way comunication does not work not matter what i've tried. Wish I had read about this problem sooner as I would have made a better choice.

WaltonKY
Tutor
Tutor

Could not agree more. They mislead a lot of people and should be ashamed.

Maxiehouse
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am so disappointed with the two way talk not working. I was considering other products but it was this feature that help swing it Arlo’s way.  I do hope they are not still advertising this feature that clearly for a huge amount of owners does not work. Come on get it fixed or offer refunds to those who want them. I certainly can not recommend these cameras at the moment 😢😡😡

Evan_Aggie
Guide
Guide
I’m not sure if anyone is actually working on a fix or just waiting for software updates from other OS teams. However, the only recourse I Would suggest everyone take is to review the product honestly and make sure future buyers know that it doesn’t work despite being advertised. That’s what I did on Amazon. If they fix it, then the review can be updated to reflect it.
edamferr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Couldn`t agree more! I`ve purchased two cameras and can`t find a way to make the built-in speakers work. Any hint?

ArloProSystem
Aspirant
Aspirant

@PandaMilkTea wrote:

I just bought a set from Costco.  Initially I thought there is something wrong with all 3 camera’s speakers, which is highly unlikely from my manufacturing test background.  The press and hold to speak option does not result any sound from the speakers on the cameras at all from my iPhone X’s built in mic.  But, as soon as I use my AirPod as mics, it works so well.  I would assume other Bluetooth headset should work too.  Maybe the normal wired mic/headphone should work too?

return it when you can. this kind of things will happen again. Sucks 

ArloProSystem
Aspirant
Aspirant

Apple does not make iOS specificly for Android, therefore if the two way talk works on Android phone, then the Arlo app should work too. So DOT NOT kick the ball around. the "iOS break down the arlo app" is totally an excuse. We gave them more than two month to solve this issue, and now they  still saying "the engineers are working on this". I dont know how they are working hard, but they might be waiting for apple publish new iOS and see if the issue will be gone. If not, they are gonna keep saying "we are working on it". TIRED OF THIS. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Just some info for anyone interested......... (not defending Arlo at all here)

Android apps are typically coded in Java or C++. iOS apps are coded in objective-C. Two different languages and one can't run on the other. If the app works on one platform doesn't mean it will work on another platform. Most likely Arlo has a Java developer creating their android app and then also asked the same Java guy to learn objective-C and create a iOS app instead of hiring an actual iOS developer. Many companies do this now-a-days to save money.

Java is why the andriod app has issues and lack of objective-C experience is probably why the iOS app has issues as well. Hopefully Arlo gets their act together soon because now they have two major issues on each platform. No Mode tab on android and no push to talk on iOS.

All that said........ if you were so inclined, you can run android on an iPhone if you wanted to. Push to talk might work then. Not sure why you'd want to run android on your iphone, but it's an option. Google/Bing it. (I'm kidding a bit here because you need hardware and software skills to do this as it's not for sale, but someone did figure it out and it works)

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I’d love to know who and how many are working on Arlo software. Or, did everyone quit? Are they advertising for help? Or, is everything frozen with no employees at all, due to the Arlo spinoff.