Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Camera keeps going offline

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
CBoodro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought an Arlo Pro 2 camera system a few weeks ago and I have been having trouble with one camera.  The camera is the closest one to the base station and keeps going offline and draining the battery.

So far the steps I have done have been the following:

1. Remove the device from the system and resync it

2. Switch out the battery with my other cameras working battery

3. Charge the battery, moved it to within 2 feet of the base station and it still lost connection

4. Charged the battery again, resync with the base station, and put in its original position.

Anyone have any experience with this?

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd say you've done what you can.  Either swap the system at the store or open a case using the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop versions of these pages.

Buzzeer
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue with me, 1 of 3 cameras keeps losing connection after a few mins, even when plugged in. Very disappointing.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Buzzeer,

How close to the base station is the camera? Consider moving the base and the camera to different locations (limit the proximity of nearby WiFi devices as much as possible) to further isolate the issue.

JamesC

Buzzeer
Tutor
Tutor
@JamesC

Have tried base station in two seperate locations. Initially all 3 cameras were all more or less beside each other about 1 foot away from the base station. 2 fine and 1 keeps disconnecting.

Plugged in problem camera but still drops connection.

Removed wifi extender, same issue even with base station in new place all with line of sight to base station, about 5 to 10 feet away.

Problem camera, if you remove the battery and reinsert it works for a few mins max 10 and then drops. Left in that disconnected state for a night ~10hours and the next day it had still not connected, so l again removed the battery and reinserted it, and the battery was about 50% left.

Based on all the posts the hardware seems a bit hit and miss.

Opened case 27938508 on the 15th still no response. I guess support is flooded with faulty hardware requests. Please send replacement camera and return prepaid package, so I can return the faulty camera. Either that or all go back, your choice!
dboram
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Buzzeer Any word back regarding you case?  I just picked up my 4 pros last night and have 2 up and running.  One keeps dropping the connection.  Before I start trouble shooting and wasting my time, I was wondering what happened with you...?

CBoodro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey @dboram,

I've tried the following things with no luck.  I have a support ticket that is escalting to see if we can resolve the problem, but so far, nothing.

1. Moved the troubled camera to within 3 feet of the base station

2. Switched the Camera battery with another working camera battery

3. Power cycled my modem, router, and base station

4. Removed the camera from my system, resynced it

5. Put the camera charging near the base station

6. Only use the phone app, not broswer login

All of these stills still resulted in the camera disconnecting.  If I notice it disconnected, I can go remove the battery/put it back in, and it usually comes back online, but not for long.  If I don't notice it for say half a day, it usually results in the battery pretty much dieing.

dboram
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you @CBoodro.  I plan on syncing the other two cameras tonight and will go through these steps with the one I am having probs with...hopefully it is just the one!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Buzzeer,

I have reviewed your case and an agent has reached out with an update. Please refer to your open support case for more information.

JamesC

ttn84
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem on 1 of my camera. The other 3 are working fine. I have tried swapping battery, moving camera next to the router with power plugin, resync and still having the same problem. I just opened a case with support.

NCIH6161
Guide
Guide

I've got the same problem.  I have a three camera set.  Two cameras working fine - the third doesn't always give me the blue lights when trying to sync, but after persisting does so, then it connects for a bit, then drops after around 5 minutes.  It's not too far away from the hub

CBoodro wrote:

I bought an Arlo Pro 2 camera system a few weeks ago and I have been having trouble with one camera.  The camera is the closest one to the base station and keeps going offline and draining the battery.

So far the steps I have done have been the following:

1. Remove the device from the system and resync it

2. Switch out the battery with my other cameras working battery

3. Charge the battery, moved it to within 2 feet of the base station and it still lost connection

4. Charged the battery again, resync with the base station, and put in its original position.

Anyone have any experience with this?

- in fact it's the closest to the hub.  I've swapped the batteries around, but no luck.  Feels like a faulty camera.  Have logged with Customer Service - will see what happens....

Dazio
Aspirant
Aspirant

CBoodro wrote:

Hey @dboram,

I've tried the following things with no luck.  I have a support ticket that is escalting to see if we can resolve the problem, but so far, nothing.

1. Moved the troubled camera to within 3 feet of the base station

2. Switched the Camera battery with another working camera battery

3. Power cycled my modem, router, and base station

4. Removed the camera from my system, resynced it

5. Put the camera charging near the base station

6. Only use the phone app, not broswer login

All of these stills still resulted in the camera disconnecting.  If I notice it disconnected, I can go remove the battery/put it back in, and it usually comes back online, but not for long.  If I don't notice it for say half a day, it usually results in the battery pretty much dieing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Likely need to open a case with support.
NCIH6161
Guide
Guide

I contacted support and after being 'escalated' three times I finally got to someone who suggested the following:

"We just released a new firmware that will correct the offline problem you are experiencing on one camera. It appears that 2 of your cameras are already updated but, the camera in question is showing offline.

I would suggest these steps:

1. Place the camera in question next to the base.
2. Power cycle the Base station.
3. Power cycle the camera by removing its battery.
4. Insert the battery or connect the charger without the battery.
5. Check your account. If the camera prompts a new update is available, please proceed.

Normally, the automatic update takes place at 3-5AM in the morning."

It did prompt an automatic update, following which it has worked uninterrupted ever since.  Result!  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What firmware version got installed?  Mine are at 1.090.0.1_11011.

ttn84
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to upgrade all cameras FW to 1.090.0.1_11011 and so far all have been online for 14hrs. The bad one has never been online this long. I will wait for another day before closing the case.

ttn84

JR_Texas
Initiate
Initiate
I purchased a set of four pro cameras and base. One of the cameras goes offline about five minutes after syncing. It requires removing and reinstalling the battery before it will reconnect after resyncing. Its located 1 foot from the base. It has the latest firmware (same version 1.090.0.1_11011 listed in the last post) The battery is fully charged and does the same thing with a battery from one of good cameras. Removing the camera from the base in the app and the resyncing doesnt help. Power cycling the base doesnt help. Leaving it plugged in doesnt help. Is there anything else I can do? I have just opened a help case with support. Will let you know what happens.
JR_Texas
Initiate
Initiate
I tried disconnecting the problematic camera from one base station and connected it to another. Still no joy, it goes off-line after about five minutes after being synced.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yeah, I think you have a bad camera. You can try swapping at the store or work with support.