Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
smurfgun
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all,

I'm looking for some comments on my specific case.  If you have a look at the following video, you see that the person is half way through the frame before video capture starts. Are there any comments as to why this is the case?

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/5C23122997EAAAA4_201706

Thank you,

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's a distance and view issue. People detection works best at 20 feet or less. The attempt to capture the street view is also an issue with overall utility. Rotate the camera down to capture just your front yard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's a distance and view issue. People detection works best at 20 feet or less. The attempt to capture the street view is also an issue with overall utility. Rotate the camera down to capture just your front yard.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... the Pro cmaera PIR usu maxs out to about 20-24ft for people.... it takes time at a longer distance to get people ( cars are larger reflectors of IR so they get picked up further away )

BTW. I would eliminate the roadway and increase sense level so you cover your yard only ( avoid false triggers )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
smurfgun
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks all,

That's some good information. I've also read about the reduced performance when the person is walking straight at the camera.  Are both of these specific to PIR? If I were to buy another product (that may have zones to boot, to avoid the roadway), will I see similar limitations?

Removing the roadway would be nice. However, I will likely need to move the camera up higher to be able to point downward so much...  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes...the PIR has more detection across the field of view as compared to straight on ... it's mostly how the react to the Fresnel lens they use ( basic info )

The Q cameras ( indoor rated ) use pixel change detection...this allows zones to be created that can be hot spots for detection

smurfgun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see.

Do we expect the pixel change detection to perform signifcantly better? E.g. be able to detect someone walking straight at camera much better?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, Pixel detection is MUCH better...it detects motion by the change in what the camera "sees".