Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tmicham
Initiate
Initiate

My arlo pro battery will not charge and the camera keeps disconnecting. It remains at 2-3 percent, even after charging for 5+ hours with the correct charger. I have removed the battery, turned off the camera, put the battery back in, and plugged the cord in, and nothing. It will temporarily blink blue, flash once orange, then stops blinking. Does not show the camera as charging in the app either. App/camera updated prior to posting this.

100 REPLIES 100
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Jepitale,

Does taking the battery out while the camera is still plugged in achieve much? I'd think it would be better to remove the battery while the camera was unplugged so it can power cycle. But if it fixes it, then that's all good.

Your problem actually sounds like a faulty charger rather than a faulty battery. To charge the battery in the camera, the power adapter needs to output 9V and the required amps. Without the battery inserted, the camera only needs 5V. If the power adapter is failing to output the required voltage and current, the battery won't charge.

Have you tried different combinations of cameras and batteries and chargers?
Have you opened a support ticket? If indeed a battery or power adapter are faulty and you're still under warranty, support should be able to sort you out.

jepitale
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes ive tired different combinations with different chargers.  Fact is, I shouldnt have to.  So many threads and complaints means your product quality jsut isnt there for the avergae consumer, who shouldnt have to buy separate chargers from Wasserstein or batteries, or deal with warranty.  9v Output9v Output

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:

Yes ive tired different combinations with different chargers.  Fact is, I shouldnt have to.  So many threads and complaints means your product quality jsut isnt there for the avergae consumer, who shouldnt have to buy separate chargers from Wasserstein or batteries, or deal with warranty.  

It's not my product. I'm just a user like you. I've just been here a while helping people sort through issues so they put that purple badge thingy next to my name. I can't see your picture until the mods authorize it but hopefully it'll happen soon. In the meantime, I agree with their sales options being less than optimal. When you buy a spare battery, you get a charger and cable but the charger and cable cannot plug into the spare battery. What's the point? You either need to use the camera or to buy a charging station tube, but when you buy the charging station tube, you get a spare charger and cable... 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To charge the battery in a Pro camera or the charging tube you must use either the Arlo charger or at least a quality charger that supports Qualcomm QuickCharge since the charger must supply 9v @ 1.5A. If you're trying chargers that support only 5v, it ain't gonna work.

Texasloanranger
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here
1st time to recharge and. It’s been on the charger for 24 hrs but still shows 0% battery charged
Streak2
Master Master
Master

@Texasloanranger wrote:
Same here
1st time to recharge and. It’s been on the charger for 24 hrs but still shows 0% battery charged

When you first plug the charger into the camera, what does the light on the camera do?

Amber, blue flashing etc.

It should flash blue for a few seconds then turn off as charging begins. It should turn solid blue after about 2 hours once fully charged.

When the charger is plugged into the camera what does the app show for that camera's battery condition?

Have you tried removing the battery for a few seconds and then refitting it before starting to charge?

Texasloanranger
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I have swapped batteries
Streak2
Master Master
Master

@Texasloanranger wrote:
Yes I have swapped batteries

Can you answer my other questions?

Averix
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I'm suddenly faced with this same issue on one of my 3 Arlo Pro cams. The provided charger causes the camera to blink blue quickly and then goes blank. The battery reports 9% charge and won't go up beyond that after several hours of charging. So, I deleted the camera and resynced. Guess what? The battery was full and the camera is asking for a firmware update. Very odd.

BradGroux
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue. I have an Arlo Pro Camera that has never been able to charge the camera's batteries. I've used the supplied USB cable and charger and plugged the camera in for days at a time, and upon the request of chat support I even plugged the USB into the Arlo Base Station and let it charge that way, all to no avail.

The camera works just fine plugged in, but as soon as I unplug it, it turns off. The charge indicator icon within the app is always the plug and never shows the battery icon. I purchased an additional battery thinking it might be the battery, but the second battery doesn't work either, so it is clearly the camera charging mechanism having issues.

Chat support has been pretty useless in dealing with this issue. I am certain I have a faulty camera that needs replacement. If you are having this issue, press them on replacing the camera, this is clearly a fairly common issue.

lenayres
Tutor
Tutor

I had a similar problem with my battery charging.  I figured out from some other earlier comments in this (or another) thread, that my battery wasn't making good contact inside the camera housing.  The recommendation was to take two or more thicknesses of a piece of paper index note card and insert it between the back of the battery and the inside of the cover of the camera to put pressure against the battery, so that the contacts of the battery would press firmly against the contacts of the camera.  Amazingly, this worked well and solved my issue.  You might want to try that, if you haven't done so already.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While that's a workaround, the correct answer is to have support replace the camera and/or battery. Defective hardware is still defective. Keep on them until they replace it.

BradGroux
Initiate
Initiate

Yeah, I am sending in an RMA. What is shocking to me is that I have to pay the shipping for the RMA. This will be the last Netgear product I ever buy. Their chat support was extremely frustrating, and one would think when you buy a premium priced device like Arlo, you wouldn't have to pay for RMA shipping... it is their fault the product was defective, not mine.

Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
My battery wont charge either. Got a new battery, and does the same. No increase when charged. It worked fine for 3 months and now this.
Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
One camera only bought a new battery and cable at best buy and still wont charge. Yes its the proper cable
Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
3 months with no problems, and didnt do anything different but try to charge it. I think the manufacturer knew about this problem. Now i ordered a separate charger and im going to try that when it arrives wed.
Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
At first it had on the screen use proper charger. Which it was, then wouldn't charge above 4% even when plugged in
Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
The battery indicator is orange on 4% it doesnt go above
Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
I actually ordered a charging station mon. And received it today from amazon. I charged the battery and was able to get my arlo pro working again. I know it sucks spending more money but it was the only way to have my camera working again
Cell
Tutor
Tutor
Simply put, I had the same issue - the first time I contacted support and then had to ship my old camera to them at my cost then got a REFURBISHED replacement. Guess what? Now this camera won’t charge. Tried different Arlo cords and chargers - all will it work. Bottom line is this camera is horrible with worse support. I purchased this at Costco and if I can will return it - waste of money and now my house is insecure. What a joke.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You give up awfully easily without exploring all possibilities. The replacement camera didn't fix it but what about the battery or charger? Have you eliminated those? We can't fix things if all tests haven't happened.

Michaelzebroski
Aspirant
Aspirant
Who said anything about a replacement camera. I bought another battery and charging station. This is the only way to charge my camera. The charger that came with the camera will not charge it anymore. And in order for the arlo pro to work i had to put a folded piece of paper on the back of battery before i close the camera. The battery does not make contact
Cell
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you, but I tried two different Arlo chargers, both directly from the company, plus three different batteries. I tried to reconnect the camera but it won’t charge. I don’t think this is giving up easily at all. I have been in contact with support for the first issue., more than once. I should not have to keep resending the camera or charger back at my expense., it just doesn’t make any sense. They sent a refurbished camera sent to me to replace my brand new one which was very dissatisfying. That is very indicative of a company that does not stand behind its cameras or at the very least indicative of a company that expected these issues and is trying to save on the cost. Either way, poor support.
This refurbished camera charged a couple of times, but then nothing. Some have suggested putting cardboard behind the battery - not for the $500 I spent on the system. No, that should not have to be done in order to make it work. I’ve had Dropcam for years - never had an issue, not once. Security cameras are meant to work - they should secure the home. When the constantly fail, that is not very reassuring. I have recommended this system when I first received it, now I must change that recommendation to a do not purchase!. PS - customer service should send a new camera then charge you if you don’t return the old one - that is good policy.
Chadster
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm getting exclamation point when charging my batteries. And it says in compatible charger
steve_t
Master Master
Master

@Chadster wrote:
I'm getting exclamation point when charging my batteries. And it says in compatible charger

Are you using the charger included with the cameras or are you trying to use a generic USB charger?