Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro external storage

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Danor
Aspirant
Aspirant

After using my Arlo Pro for a few months, I decided to add a 2TB external drive.  I formatted the drive on my PC and plugged it into the Arlo base.

In settings, after i clicked on USB Device 1, I saw requires formatting.  After hitting the "format" button in the Arlo app, I get a "unable to format SD card"

Any ideas on what I can do?  Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What type of card is it.... ?

Also, did you first format it using FAT32 on the computer as recommended

this may help;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-on-a-USB-...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Danor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.  I reformatted using fat format and get the same result.

On my PC, the drive works just fine.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What drive is it?  It would seem to be a hard drive since I don't think there are any 2TB thumb drives yet.  It would seem to be some sort of incompatibility with your drive and the base.  Is the drive powered or does it draw power from the USB port?

I had a 1TB hard drive connected but removed it and replaced with a 16GB thumb drive since the powered hard drive was a pain to remove for review of what was recorded on it.  The thumb drive is much handier and holds a couple to a few months' worth of videos in my usage with no problem. Use a larger capacity one if needed - they're not that expensive.